Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to want a bob that doesn't turn into the fucking "Rachel"

125 replies

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 14:46

Unless I round-brush, blow-dry, straighten and flip it inwards every single morning? Every damn time I ask for a bob I end up with this 90's abomination, even if I went in with pictures and it looked fine when I left the salon after being styled into submission for an hour. Do I have to go to evening class to learn hairdresser-speak, so I know how to ask for a graduated, a-line or inverted disconnected bob, whatever the hell those are?

OP posts:
MargotLovedTom1 · 29/07/2017 16:06

But if you have no layers in fine hair then it often just hangs there, looking a bit limp?
I dunno, I have the opposite problem in that I've got loads of hair and run the risk of the dreaded mushroom look if the layers aren't quite right.
It's a minefield Grin.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen · 29/07/2017 16:07

You have odd length layers, way too short compared with the over all length I think,that's why it flicks up.

I think you just need a really decent hairdresser tbh.

zenasfuck · 29/07/2017 16:16

If I were you I'd run the straighteners through it every morning, put some colonising spray in the roots and a bit of salt spray in the lengths to mess it up a bit

Then grow it all out. Then Go for an inverted bob

zenasfuck · 29/07/2017 16:17

ThT would be volumising not colonising Grin

derxa · 29/07/2017 16:22

No thanks. I don't want a relationship with any of those absolute bastards Grin Mine is absolutely lovely and I'd marry him if it wasn't for DH's objections.

YoshimiBTPR · 29/07/2017 16:24

I loved my Rachel hair in the 90s (or early 00s, I was a bit behind).

I'd love to have it now but I'm too embarrassed to ask my hairdresser.

OP would it be better if you got the bottom inch or two cut off and the layers left?

howabout · 29/07/2017 16:29

I feel your pain. I also have fine hair which objects to layering. I also hate hairdressers. Suggest you grow out the layers then get a blunt cut and work from there.

WorknameJimEllis · 29/07/2017 16:29

alibongo

Nope.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen · 29/07/2017 16:30

I have a Rachel,it's the only style my thick hair will do. It's an updated version but looks fab, or so I'm told Wink

pictish · 29/07/2017 16:32

Look...unless your hair naturally falls into a sleek bob shape like the one in your picture, you are going to have to straighten and round brush it into submission every single day.
The bob is a high maintenance do by my standards of styling stamina and commitment, which are admittedly very low.

Persemillion · 29/07/2017 16:42

OP, I have the same hair cut as in you picture and it does flick out if I don't style it every morning.

I believe it's a very straight hair thing.

Solo · 29/07/2017 16:46

That's really interesting MrsJamesAspey about the L'Oreal Fibrology; I admit to pooh poohing it as a gimmick with no substance...How often do you and Dd wash your hair in it if you don't mind me asking? I only wash mine once a week, twice if I really need to but, I don't brush or comb it so it doesn't get greasy. I may give it a go. How long before you noticed results?

adifferentnameforthis · 29/07/2017 16:54

Yep me too. I cut my own hair now. No training but I'm genuinely better than all hairdressers I've been to (all obsessed with layers which make me look shit)

gamerchick · 29/07/2017 17:06

I'm not expecting miracles from a haircut, but it really annoys me that my hair looks absolutely shit without endless styling. It really does.

But that's the way it is though when you have wavy hair. I have a graduated bob with no layers which gets a fair bit of positive attention but I have to style it every single day. You'll never be able to wash and leave unless you get it mega short.

SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 17:10

Even mega short hair still needs doing.

Mine has been a crop for ages. It needed doing when washed but did kept its shape.

Its a bob just above chin length at the moment and i need to do something with it each daym even if not washing.

So short was less work but not really wash and go.

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 17:22

But is the second picture I posted actually a bob?

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 17:23

Yep me too. I cut my own hair now.

How do you do the back?

OP posts:
SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 17:58

The blonde one? Looks like groeing out cut. Not a bob.

Has any hairdresser told you your hair wont come out like the photo?

adifferentnameforthis · 29/07/2017 18:01

Pull it to the front or tip head upside down. It possibly looks shit (although no one has said so!) but at least it's better than when hairdressers do it and free!

RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 18:13

Has any hairdresser told you your hair wont come out like the photo?

No, they usually just give me a haircut that looks nothing like the photo. Once I asked for a one-length bob, slightly longer in the front. With picture. I had long hair all over, but for some reason the cretin picked up the hair I the front of the face and started slicing into it. I guess it was supposed to "frame the face" but I looked like some kind of surfer dude from 2003... DH actually said "cool! Very Kurt Cobain." I could've cried.

OP posts:
RoboticSealpup · 29/07/2017 18:15

OP would it be better if you got the bottom inch or two cut off and the layers left?

Yeah I think I'll do that. Then just go back to having long hair forever. I give up on having a "haircut".

OP posts:
SpartacusSaiman · 29/07/2017 18:23

The second one doesnt look like the first. It does look Kurt Cobain-esq.

Until you grow that short layer out, you won't get the first photo you posted. But again even if you do eventually get that cut, you will need to style it.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

MrsJamesAspey · 29/07/2017 18:37

Solo. I'm always cynical about stuff like this too but the shampoo was on offer in Sainsbury's so we decided to give it a go, the difference was pretty much immediate it terms of my hair not looking so flat but it's the difference in my DD being able to grow her hair and it looking so thick that's amazed me. We wash our hair on average every other day.

8misskitty8 · 29/07/2017 19:16

@MrsJamesAspey@ how long was her hair before the shampoo and how long did it take to grow ?

Urglewurgle · 29/07/2017 19:23

If I left mine to its own devices I'd look like Worzel Gummidge.
I usually keep mine as a bob and every hair dresser thinks they've got it sorted but, left alone, I've got scruffy hair. Not dissimilar to Boris Johnson.

If I grow out the layers it goes into a triangle/lego hair style.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.