Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To leave a shitty note on this car?

149 replies

ManchesterBee · 05/07/2017 15:25

We live near a local primary school but the houses were here first if that is relevant. There is a secondary school nearby and parents are allowed to use the church car park.

We have a private and numbered car park with a sign saying it is a private car park.

Between 7.45am and 9.30am and 1.45pm and 4.30pm we cannot get on our own car park. It is full of parents. We have raised this issue with the school for years but nothing has happened. We cannot barrier it as two spaces are customer parking for an business.

We've tried asking parents nicely and got abuse.

Just come back from work. Cannot get on the car park as it is the schools sports day.

One car is half way across our land and halfway blocking the pavement. There's another car parked so people in a wheelchair or buggy cannot pass.

OP posts:
Fuckitletshavevino · 06/07/2017 18:19

I PUT @SleepingTiger autocorrect is a twat

Sundayspilot · 06/07/2017 18:20

Are you not allowed to have a contract with a private towing firm? Where I am private landowners can have these cars towed at the owner's expense provided the lot has a warning sign up. Solved our parking woes right quick.

shallichangemyname · 06/07/2017 18:21

Clamping is illegal on private land (Protection of Freedoms Act 2012).
Instead, private parking companies who cannot identify a driver can sue a car's registered keeper (if certain strict conditions are met). They have to prove a contract was created with the driver (via signage displayed on the site which must have appropriate wording and be prominently displayed).

The right to operate and sue can only be given by the landowner or lawful occupier of the land (e.g. a lessee).

Some parking cos will put up signs and allow residents to issue the tickets themselves. Others will patrol and issue tickets. They will then take it from there and will chase and sue the driver (if identified) or the keeper (and keep the profits)

HOWEVER, a huge word of caution. Many, many private parking cos are totally unscrupulous and care only about profits and on residential sites they end up targeting anyone and everyone including residents and genuine visitors (e.g. If someone's permit falls down). So if you do decide to go down this route you must carefully select a company and then ensure that there is a proper system in place for any ticket issued to a resident/genuine visitor to be cancelled and for visitor parking. In practice this has proved to be extremely problematic. Having myself been the victim of the industry I am now very knowledgeable about it and regularly advise on the forum in the link below and elsewhere - forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

If you decide to go down this route then please, please educate yourself about the pitfalls before you hire a company (search for threads on the forum above about residential tickets and also look for a thread started by mistercq who owns a retail space and employed a company and ended up having to help dozens of customers to defend tickets in court and get rid of the company).

Fuckitletshavevino · 06/07/2017 18:22

Also I'm now confused as to when have I ever used the word sleeling for my phone to change it! I think this thing has been using my phone 😱

To leave a shitty note on this car?
happypoobum · 06/07/2017 18:25

Could you not put a penguin bollard in to protect your own space?

If not, then a private parking firm may be the only answer other than the dogshit

shallichangemyname · 06/07/2017 18:26

No point contacting the council, it's private land and they have no right to operate there.
Likewise the police - the only way they'd help you is if they thought there might be a breach of the peace. They might be nice and come once or twice but they won't come for long enough for it to make a difference and there is no criminal offence being committed.

Parker231 · 06/07/2017 18:26

We had a similar problem at our last house but with a church rather than a school. I got so fed up that one evening I went into the church and interrupted the service by asking for an announcement to be made to those parked incorrectly. The Priest stopped the service and asked people to go out and move their cars - we rarely had a problem again!

jessebuni · 06/07/2017 18:32

I live in a private close just over a road from a college. Unlike primary school drop offs and picks up where parents are there for an hour each end of the school day max college students come park their cars in our private spaces for 6 hours!!! The college won't do anything at all. The police won't because it's a civil matter and the council won't ticket them because its private land. There are clearly signs saying private residents only. Students don't care. Confronting them just results in them getting gobby. So far the only thing that has started to deter them has been putting notes on their cars every single day. A few of the residents got together and have been putting multiple notes on cars in a day and slowly the numbers of students willing to chance the wrath of residents is lessening.

At my children's primary school there is no car park. There is on road parking max stay 2 hours unless you have a permit. However you always get those parents that don't care and park double yellows and block driveways and even on driveways. Always the same ones. The primary school started taking vehicle regs and photos of the cars and putting them in the newsletter. Whilst there are still one or two entitled morons most people now park considerately after being embarrassed in the school newsletter.

Trollspoopglitter · 06/07/2017 18:33

PRIVATE car park means police / council will not get involved.

For about £150 annual fee, a private parking company will come out and put up a very official notice that cars with no permits will be fined and issue each resident a permit for their vehicle. Think replacements are about £10.

They will warn you that the fining doesn't work, and they operate as a business on charging you for the signs and permits- those the actual deterrents. So you need to be clear they can actually be arsed to come out and issue tickets during school runs for initial few months. Otherwise, parents will realise they won't get fined and park there agai .

Fuckitletshavevino · 06/07/2017 18:34

Aww I'm not sure what else to suggest then. Flowers for you. Maybe backcomb your hair to wild extent put on a hospital gown or nightie and just do a Jim Carey type thing when they try to get back in their cars

Whodoesthis17 · 06/07/2017 18:34

Take pictures, use a date stamp and tell the person in a note that their car has been report for Illegal parking, the police won't do anything but it should make the car owner think twice. Repeat as necessary..

Mypyjamasarebaggy · 06/07/2017 18:34

I live in one of 6 houses built on land next door to a primary school - school sold the land to developers. It's clearly marked as a private road, we pay collectively to maintain / insure it. In the first 18m of moving in we had all sorts of parking nonsense. In the end we put up 'no public liability' notices and had some very official looking parking tickets made up. They stated that the notice was a first warning that number plates had been noted and that seeing the vehicle parked a second time would result in a fine. None of this was true but after a particularly concerted ticketing campaign (mostly covert!) the problem was 80% resolved. Did get blocked in by some entitled Range Rover driver last week though!

wonderwoo · 06/07/2017 18:41

I think the school have some responsibility here and need to at least try to help. I would keep pushing, sending photos every time someone parks there, post on their Facebook page. If they still do nothing, does the head teacher have a space in their car park? I would be tempted to park my car in that space (or blocking it) everyone a car was in mine. It might make them start to actually listen to you. The school needs to be making it clear to parents that their parking is unacceptable and they could also get a member of staff to stand by the entrance in the mornings/afternoons for a while.

alisonddp · 06/07/2017 18:52

Many years ago the Police in Paris, fed up with bad parking, let offenders tyres down, great inconvenience to the driver, no damage done, no cost to the Police and it soon sorted the parking issues

even today we've had those wretched selfish drivers outside of us and with their engines running too - even after the news this week suggesting it be criminalised

Beggars belief!

SquinkiesRule · 06/07/2017 18:57

I'd spend the £25 and get one of these and encourage my neighbors to do the same. Pop up parking bollard

Earthmother1 · 06/07/2017 19:02

Oh I feel your pain - I have a space on a 10 place car park (private flats), numbered, in sight of my numbered front door. After living here for 10 months constantly asking people to leave the soace, leaving notes on the car, taking photos and threatening to send to the police the resposes are all negative, unrepeatable and disrespectful. I'm blind so 'whatchoo want a space for anyway? where's YOUR car?' - well it's on my tenancy agreement, I pay for it, (not optional), and my family and friends use it when visiting. (there is a 40 space public car park across the road but you have to pay).

In the end after seeking help from PCSO, CAB and my landlady's agent I requested a lockable post across my space or I would reduce my rent accordingly. After months of fighting, countless photos of culprits emailed to said agent they're finally getting it done. Fingers crossed the smart arses don't park ACROSS it.... then it WILL be war! (Have so far resisted the temptation ti slash/let diwn tyres....just!) Wink

shinynewusername · 06/07/2017 19:13

I feel your pain - the selfish fuckers use our surgery car park, including the disabled spaces and the one for the emergency doctor Angry

ALittleMop · 06/07/2017 19:17

Get a meeting of a group of you with HT

HT (poor HT, prob has a lot on plate) NAMES AND SHAMES with PHOTOS of offenders cars in newletter.

Can a group of you take it in turns to be home at school run time and turn away people intending to park? Or are most people out and at work and therefore not bothered?

TBH probably you need to come up with a way of getting the business a parking spot elsewhere that means you can block it off.

Groovee · 06/07/2017 19:22

I would block them in and then go out all day! I remember a class I was working with had 2 police officers looking for a mother. Child had no idea where she was. Met her at the bus stop later attempting to find the pound on a map as it had been towed for blocking a driveway.

grasspigeons · 06/07/2017 19:28

I'm slightly intrigued what the HT is supposed to do to get adults to behave themselves when they are not on site. I am 100% on the side of the OP but the people who park like this are normally of the 'you can't tell me what to do' type and basically they are right. I guess asking the PTA to fund a parking barrier might be good and some banners on the gates.

Notonthestairs · 06/07/2017 19:40

Invite local newspaper round for a picture of you (with Daily Mail sadface) in front of cars?

Photos of cars sent to school.

And just block them in.

Justaboy · 06/07/2017 19:50

Many years ago the Police in Paris, fed up with bad parking, let offenders tyres down, great inconvenience to the driver, no damage done, no cost to the Police and it soon sorted the parking issues

Like it;! come on Old bill, you can do it too!.

tell them they can also Star on this site:)

www.parkedlikeacunt.com/

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

indigox · 06/07/2017 19:51

Block them all in everyday until they stop.

TheMysteriousJackelope · 06/07/2017 19:59

I am in the US so things will be a bit different here. When we lived in an apartment we also rented a numbered space in the parking lot. There were signs up stating that anyone parked in the wrong space would be towed.

Nobody parked in the wrong space.

Being towed is a big deal. You don't know which towing company has your car, so have to track it down, then you have to get a taxi or lift over to the yard, then hope someone is in the office to help you out, and it can run a few hundred dollars to get the car back out.

I'd look into Residents' Parking Only (or you'll be towed) signs and tags and find a towing company. Hopefully that is legal in the UK.

HipsterHunter · 06/07/2017 20:04

@TheMysteriousJackelope nope its been illegal since 2009

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.