Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To leave a shitty note on this car?

149 replies

ManchesterBee · 05/07/2017 15:25

We live near a local primary school but the houses were here first if that is relevant. There is a secondary school nearby and parents are allowed to use the church car park.

We have a private and numbered car park with a sign saying it is a private car park.

Between 7.45am and 9.30am and 1.45pm and 4.30pm we cannot get on our own car park. It is full of parents. We have raised this issue with the school for years but nothing has happened. We cannot barrier it as two spaces are customer parking for an business.

We've tried asking parents nicely and got abuse.

Just come back from work. Cannot get on the car park as it is the schools sports day.

One car is half way across our land and halfway blocking the pavement. There's another car parked so people in a wheelchair or buggy cannot pass.

OP posts:
MusicForTheJiltedGeneration · 05/07/2017 17:00

I used to live opposite a primary school and would often have people blocking my drive even though there were double yellow lines. On one joyous occasion I arrived home to find someone parked on my fucking drive Hmm When they returned to the car they had the nerve to say "well you weren't using it at the time" Shock

I couldn't let rip at them because they had their child with them. I smiled sweetly and leant in very close to their ear whispering "If you do it again I'll follow you home and park on your drive every fucking day for the next year". She never parked on/near my drive again.

CoraPirbright · 05/07/2017 17:03

What about those foldable, lockable posts for parking spaces?

We had problems like this when I was little. My dm stuck notices to the car windows with something called bostick - really thick black, tar-like stuff. This jerk sounds like he needs at least a litre of it on his windscreen!!

thereallochnessmonster · 05/07/2017 17:04

Love your cross digram with angry annotations, OP!!! Grin

But seriously - some people are just entitled arses.

Sprinklestar · 05/07/2017 17:07

We had this in London. PCSOs were good. If I were you, I'd club together with your neighbours and all sit in deck chairs across the entrance/exit. No one comes in, no one leaves until they've paid your chosen daily parking rate...

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow · 05/07/2017 17:12

Ive always wondered how effective notes on windscreens would be written on glass in Vaseline (with a dusting of glitter)
And as for the rude arse under the windows, well shame if kids dropped glitter bombs from the window. (Not saying you should do this, but if...)

DimsieMaitland · 05/07/2017 17:14

I know of a similar issue with a local workplace. The designated staff car park (which staff have to pay for) is regularly full of parents parking up the road from school, including in loading bays (preventing vans, lorries etc from unloading) and disabled spaces. It's made more complicated by the fact that the public has access to the front office of the workplace (not a shop, but somewhere the public is allowed to be) and so the car park can't have a barrier etc as it would shut clients out as well. The workers despair when they turn up to use the spaces they have paid for and discover that they can't park - next nearest place to park is a 20 minute walk away. The parents don't care (and let their little darlings wander through the car park without supervision.)

ModreB · 05/07/2017 17:19

We had this at my Aunt's retirement flat, although it was football fans parking whenever there was a match on.

DS1 & 2 did not have a great time letting down 2 tyres of each illegally parked car. Because, each car has 1 spare tyre, so 2 is a real inconvenience that happens sometimes without actually damaging the car or doing anything illegal. They left a note, politely explaining that the car was parked on private land, and the next time they might unfortunately find all 4 deflated. Due to the unpredictable nature of the sheltered housing complex and the residents therin, they were parking on.

It stopped the illegal parkers within 2 Matches. Grin

DeadMorose · 05/07/2017 17:20

Would it be illegal to throw birdseed on the cars?

ginnystonic · 05/07/2017 17:25

I think a combination of all these suggestions would be grand:

1.) Dress as a parking warden
2.) Carry clipboard
3.) Take photos
4.) Call the police
5.) Issue fake parking tickets
6.) Plaster cars with stickers
7.) Smear glitter and Vaseline on windscreens
8.) Threatening to follow people home and park in their parking spaces
9.) All while tipping head and giving a tinkly manic laugh Grin

ginnystonic · 05/07/2017 17:26

10.) while liberally sprinkling birdseed on cars Grin

SofaToad · 05/07/2017 17:30

It would be a shame if a small child accidentally found a bottle of baby oil and ran amock with it, having removed the top. Especially near door handles.

FrancisCrawford · 05/07/2017 17:32

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShotsFired · 05/07/2017 17:34

You have to get this dealt with en masse.

Get enough neighbours roped in who can leave the car park just before drop off tomorrow. Go round the block, come back and - oh no! - all your spaces are gone. You poor things will just have to park across every possible entrance and exit and then each go off for a long bath or shower so you won't hear any doorbells if they were rung.

DailyMailReadersAreThick · 05/07/2017 17:38

Have you spoken to the business who have two spaces in the car park? Unless they're particularly ignorant, I'm sure the residents and the business can come to an arrangement that stops this.

MrsChopper · 05/07/2017 17:39

Don't forget the dog poo under the handles. Might as well do it properly!

Squishedstrawberry4 · 05/07/2017 17:50

The school should stick one of their TA's on the driveway for a week

mydogisthebest · 05/07/2017 17:58

I would block them in and stick big notes on all their windows.

I live between 2 schools - an infant and juniors and a juniors and seniors. The ignorance and selfishness of the parents' parking is unbelievable.

The parents campaigned for a crossing on my road which the council would not agree to. They did though put in double yellow lines to cover 8am-9am and 3pm-4pm. That means that all residents have to make sure they move their cars during those hours. All this means is that the parents then park all along the yellow lines. They wanted a crossing to make it safer for parents and children to cross and now they have to try and cross between parked cars and cars pulling in and out!

I have given up contacting the council because they are not interested and neither are the police

akkakk · 05/07/2017 18:02

You can get token based parking barriers (often used in hotels) - this means that those who are residents can have an electronic tag or similar to get in and out...

the business spaces - anyone can drive in, and the business gives them a token to get out - periodically the business empties the token box and reuses them...

parents can drive in - but can't get out - if they want a token they can buy one for a donation for £25 to a charity Grin

simples - works for everyone - wouldn't take long to stop the parents...

flapjackfairy · 05/07/2017 18:07

Genius akkakk !

MachineBee · 05/07/2017 18:13

Or you can all (business team and residents) have a party with the proceeds. Grin

DontTouchTheMoustache · 05/07/2017 18:15

Do you have any shaving gel? If so write "TWAT" in huge letters on the bonnet (and "dipshit" down the side of the car for good measure)

Andrewofgg · 05/07/2017 18:16

"getting a letter from the Head asking us to kindly park "elsewhere" on Bonfire Night between 6pm and 8pm so that the "school community" could come together to "celebrate".

I wish I had had that letter . . . I might have suggested the HT to volunteer for the part of Guy Fawkes and save the cost of an effigy.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Spadequeen · 05/07/2017 18:17

This would make me so mad. All residents to to contact the school on a daily basis, every single time a parent parks there, you mus have a curtain twitcher who'd love this, there's always one! (Will probably be me one day!)

DontTouchTheMoustache · 05/07/2017 18:17

Also, dog poo under door handles. They would never park there again.

AtHomeDadGlos · 05/07/2017 18:27

Letting down the tyres is better than my option put a brick through the window

It doesn't cause any damage and is a pain in the arse to switch tyres/inflate etc.

You'd have plenty of time during whole school events too to get it done.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.