Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To leave a shitty note on this car?

149 replies

ManchesterBee · 05/07/2017 15:25

We live near a local primary school but the houses were here first if that is relevant. There is a secondary school nearby and parents are allowed to use the church car park.

We have a private and numbered car park with a sign saying it is a private car park.

Between 7.45am and 9.30am and 1.45pm and 4.30pm we cannot get on our own car park. It is full of parents. We have raised this issue with the school for years but nothing has happened. We cannot barrier it as two spaces are customer parking for an business.

We've tried asking parents nicely and got abuse.

Just come back from work. Cannot get on the car park as it is the schools sports day.

One car is half way across our land and halfway blocking the pavement. There's another car parked so people in a wheelchair or buggy cannot pass.

OP posts:
Collaborate · 05/07/2017 18:27

To the poster upthread whose daughter let out air from tyres - that is theft. It's one of the first things you learn doing a law degree.

Tiddler7 · 05/07/2017 18:36

Write a note. Make maaaaany copies. Buy wallpaper paste. Stick the note on every single car that inconveniences you.

Andrewofgg · 05/07/2017 18:43

A barrier so placed that two places are outside it?

ManchesterBee · 05/07/2017 18:44

I've no intention of doing damage to any cars. I just meant a note under the window wipers. As it is I had to go out and missed them leaving (was going to have a work again) so I've sent a snotty voicemail to school.

I once put bins there to block them out of my own space and they moved them Shock

OP posts:
ginswinger · 05/07/2017 18:45

If you get yourself a chalk pen-the kind used for pub signs, and leave a message on the windows, it should get through. The marks can be shifted with window cleaner but not water. It should give them a wake up.

ShotsFired · 05/07/2017 18:49

Also, public shaming via local press is nicely effective. They love that sort of thing anyway, and you can also send them pics of all the cars, with the numberplates obscured (but the cars obviously remain identifiable). If you have residents with wheelchairs, crutches, pushchairs as well, even better!

Justmuddlingalong · 05/07/2017 18:55

Dog shit under the car door handles?

singmysong · 05/07/2017 19:00

Has the school got a Facebook page. Could you post photos of the offending cars as a 'name and shame'?

VerdeGreenVert · 05/07/2017 19:03

Saran Wrap over the whole car?
Penguin bollards?
Block them in and get a taxi to work for the next month, if anyone asks, you're travelling the world

WithCheesePlease · 05/07/2017 19:04

We had this issue in our apartment complex as it's right beside a doctor's office, cafe and a pub. Would arrive home and not be able to park in own space. Our management committee met and we hired a private clamping company -which we pay for through our management fees. Problem solved (annoying that we have to pay though)

LowGravity · 05/07/2017 19:20

We've tried asking parents nicely and got abuse.

This is where you went wrong. Reasonable doesn't work with entitled twats. I have a similar problem. We have private residents car parks and a business Park round the corner . I caught culprit no.2 red handed yesterday. He'd been parking in my neighbour's space last 2 weeks and yesterday I came home and found him in MY space, sooo I parked right up against his drivers door and lay in wait at the window. Saw him coming and bolted out the house then, well I went a bit apeshit at him (I blame the hormones). Anyway his car was nowhere to be seen today but the gist of it is, you want them to think you're a bit pscyco otherwise they'll take no notice. In your situation I would indeed be sticking those very sticky notices on their windscreens, failing that I love the glitter and vaseline idea.

LakieLady · 05/07/2017 19:44

I think you should leave several spaces, all together, for the parents to park in. When a bigly number of parents have parked, have a nice game of cricket on the pitch that you and your neighbours carefully created by parking elsewhere.

People could hardly complain about dents and damaged glass if they were stupid enough to park on private land that was being used for a game of cricket, could they?

And get some dogs to piss up their wheels, that really hacks some people off.

Cab65 · 06/07/2017 17:37

Dog shit under the car door handles best idea I've heard for ages.

missiondecision · 06/07/2017 17:41

Do not move near a school it's obviously going to get busy.

DownstairsMixUp · 06/07/2017 17:46

Email the school with photos. Every day. Maybe two emails and if they have a Facebook page, put the complaints there to. It works eventually.

My example, our school has a drop off car park. Note the drop off. You simply drive through stop the car and your child jumps out into the school gates. Was it used like that? Was it buggery. People would stop get out chat all day long so people would be queuing to get in blocking the traffic (one way road next to school) i dont use the tbh, but it does effect me as I pull on past the drop off park and pull up and walk the extra two yards to the school gate. Hmm anyway I was getting held up every morning because these stupid parents didn't know what a drop off point was. I wrote school every day for 6 months, in that time it was mainly newsletters mentioning dumbarse parents not to stop in the drop off point but now it's going to be closed and the barriers will only open in the.morning to disabled parents which makes me very happy. People were warned and they didn't listen!

Alleycat1 · 06/07/2017 17:56

Cora's idea. The foldable bollards that you can lock. No confrontation needed, just a secure parking space that nobody else can use.

SnickersWasAHorse · 06/07/2017 18:02

Do not move near a school it's obviously going to get busy

Well yes I would agree if the OP was complaining about busy roads, but not when people are parking in a private car park.

Anyway. The problem with complaining to the school is that all they can do is ask people to stop. If you are the kind of self opinionated bellend that is going to have the attitude that you can park where you like then you aren't going to listen to the school.

Madwoman5 · 06/07/2017 18:03

You could arrange for the two shop spaces to be moved to the entrance and then barrier or fence off behind them for residents?
How about employing the services of a private parking enforcement agency for a fixed period?
You could place a FO sign stating that anpr cameras and car park enforcement is in place with a list of fines but not do it?
You could use those drop in the ground/hinged posts for each space?
You could call the police every time to report blocking of access?

Mumoftwoandover · 06/07/2017 18:06

YANBU!!!
I used to live at my FIL who lives conveniently behind our local primary school which my sons go as well. So everyday I go straight to his house and park there. His street is a small patway which people just think that is acceptable to park across it blocking the fucking entrance wih no mercy !!!
I have to manouvre my car all the time to get in, not to mention how dangerous it is because you have no sight of who is coming through the pavement, including small children in their scooters or running!

I got pissed off enough (knowing who was the owner of the car) to write (very against my wish to be polite) a very educated letter and stick to her window!

Some people just have no consideratio at all !! Bunch of bastards! No one will do anything for you, take it by your hands and start a war, block them cars with your own car for hours....clamp it haha I would love to see that :)

KimmySchmidt1 · 06/07/2017 18:08

Park on the school field?

38cody · 06/07/2017 18:13

There must be some kind of bollard? Diagram please?

Doingthedo · 06/07/2017 18:14

The school cannot control how or where parents park. They are adult people who more often than not do what they want and don't bloody care!!!! It was suggested at our school that staff control the traffic and parking around school - I'm a teacher not a traffic warden! Get the council and local police involved.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SleepingTiger · 06/07/2017 18:15

Allow the local dogging community to use one space for free during relevant hours.

Fuckitletshavevino · 06/07/2017 18:17

The residents near my sons school had the same problem, numerous letters and emails sent to parents to adhere to legal parking/child safety but still ignored. The council then sent a traffic warden each day. Are you and your neighbours able to take photos/numberplates and take to the council?

Fuckitletshavevino · 06/07/2017 18:17

Or as @SleelingTiger suggests 😂😂

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.