Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to expect parents not to drink at sports day?!?!

KCAREYW1987 · 19/06/2017 15:59

Have just returned from a very hot primary school sports day. A group of parents decided to crack open a few cold cans of pimms at about 11am. AIBU to think that this is totally out of order at a primary school sports day? I mean I know it's not cans of super brew but still I would never dream of watching my little ones in the sack race while getting sloshed in the sun! Would love to hear other opinions on this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Scrumpernickel · 19/06/2017 17:11

You get a license from the council.

Please
or

paxillin · 19/06/2017 17:12

Our PTA has a license.

Please
or

bonbonours · 19/06/2017 17:13

Haven't rtft but a glass of pimms (or a can of lager) while watching sports day sounds lovely to me. No different from having one at a family picnic in the park or on the beach. Having a drink is not the same as getting pissed and I'm assuming if any parent was seen to be drunk they would be told to leave.

Nothing wrong with children seeing adults drinking in a moderate, controlled way. The puritanical approach of alcohol being the stuff of the devil and a dirty secret to be hidden from the children is exactly what leads to the binge drinking problem in this country. If you look at countries where moderate drinking is normal at family occasions eg France, you'll see they have a lot less binge drinking among teenagers.

Please
or

MrTumblesbitch · 19/06/2017 17:13

Our sports day is inthe afternoon and the school Hand out picnic blankets and serve afternoon tea and fizz from the cricket pavilion. It's all very naice and I can't imagine anyone caring one way or another about the alcohol element to it! That said, going pre-prepared and taking alcohol with me would feel like a step too far, and I would absolutely do a second glance at anyone if it was a can of Stella or something. Think it's all about the setting really

Please
or

Sunshinegirls · 19/06/2017 17:13

Fascinating that people think that drinking alcohol at sports day is middle class, I think it's a bit Frank Gallagher myself, pimms or not.

Please
or

MacarenaFerreiro · 19/06/2017 17:15

It;s not something I would do but you're not going to get sloshed on a can of Pimms and lemonade.

Please
or

Mulledwine1 · 19/06/2017 17:17

As a total lightweight, I wouldn't be particularly comfortable being in charge of my kids in a public after a couple of glasses of wine, so my opinion is probably coloured somewhat by this. But really? Are your friends, partners or kids so dull that you need a drink to spend time with them

Oh well I'm afraid that I go out for meals with DH and DS and walk home and I generally have a glass of wine with my meal. As my 14 year old ds is still a minor, I guess that means I am "in charge" of him after drinking. As is my DH. Oh well.

And having a Pimms probably would have helped me to deal with the mothers at my son's junior school. I don't need a drink to spend time with friends, but other mums are not friends, they are just people who had kids at the same time as I did and we have nothing else in common, except, potentially, a joint liking for Pimms.

However, 11am would be too early for me.

Please
or

Vanillaisboring666 · 19/06/2017 17:17

Gosh iv never ever witnessed any one drinking alcohol at sports day . Why would you want too ? Especially at 11 am . In this heat I'd only want cold squash .

Please
or

TheHobbitMum · 19/06/2017 17:18

Pimms, Wine & beer at our summer events too, huge money earner! No one gets sloshed Grin After sports day ice cream is sold for £1 too. Along with the Pimms another huge earner for the PTA is a chocolate tombola at the summer fete, all kids have a pj/wrong trouser day I stead of donating £1 they bring in some kind of chocolate bar. They make a staggering amount from the choc tombola!

Please
or

user1484830599 · 19/06/2017 17:18

I have thought about a Pimms tent but I just can't bring myself to do it. Parents drinking at a kids event just seems wrong somehow.

Please
or

SaucyJack · 19/06/2017 17:20

"Nothing wrong with children seeing adults drinking in a moderate, controlled way."

It's a fricking SCHOOL sports day for crying out loud.

There's nothing moderate or controlled about a person's drinking if they can't even go in to school to watch their kids in an event without sneaking booze in with them.

Please
or

bonbonours · 19/06/2017 17:20

Ours is in the morning and no-one brings food so bringing alcohol would be weird. But I know lots of schools where it's a 'make an afternoon of it, bring a picnic' type thing in which case I think it's totally fine.

Please
or

CheshireChat · 19/06/2017 17:21

Thing is there's kids who do have an alcoholic parent and now have lost an opportunity where they don't have worry 'will they drink too much, will they embarass me'.

Why on earth do you have to drink at a kids event is beyond me.

Please
or

brasty · 19/06/2017 17:24

No one is sneaking in booze. The PTA are selling it.

Please
or

SaucyJack · 19/06/2017 17:26

Read the OP's posts Brasty.

The PTA weren't selling it.

Please
or

LiveLongAndProspero · 19/06/2017 17:28

Why are so many people confusing having a drink with being unable not to have a drink?
They aren't remotely the same thing. Unclench, dears.

Please
or

KCAREYW1987 · 19/06/2017 17:29

The pimms was not on sale at our event the parents in question bought it with them

OP's posts:
Please
or

Squishedstrawberry4 · 19/06/2017 17:30

We don't have to sneak booze in. The PTA sell pimms plus cakes as a fundraiser. By drinking a glass of pimms we are actively giving to the school

Please
or

MerchantofVenice · 19/06/2017 17:31

I'm always a bit tickled by the "where's the need?" brigade... Do you only do stuff you need?? Do you need to post on MN??

A nice civilised drink at a summer event seems perfectly normal to me. But some people equate all alcohol, regardless of the amount, with 'getting sloshed'.

Weird that someone people also think that you only drink if you're at a dull/unbearable event!! What about, you know, just liking the taste?? I love a glass of Pimms. Don't like squash, pop or other hideous sweet things.

Please
or

Muddlingalongalone · 19/06/2017 17:34

I think it depends on circumstances.
Dd1's sports day is 9 in the morning so not appropriate.
When I was at school (both prep & Secondary) sports day was one of the events of the summer term & was on a Saturday afternoon. Everyone took picnics and there was always copious amounts of alcohol consumed.
Parents race was VERY competitive - think changing for formal dress into athletics gear 😀
Love the idea of temp licence and pimms/prosecco at school fete. Will suggest.

Please
or

Trb17 · 19/06/2017 17:36

Ours is on Thursday.

I'm considering taking a flask of vodka just to get through it Grin

Please
or

Sunshinegirls · 19/06/2017 17:37

I don't think a school sports day is a "summer event"
Glastonbury is a summer event.

Please
or

Floggingmolly · 19/06/2017 17:40

At Sports Day?? That is the epitome of scummy Hmm. Sucking down a can of beer at sports day is the polar opposite of civilised, actually.

Please
or

Scrumpernickel · 19/06/2017 17:40

It's the 11am on a Monday bit that makes me think 'nah'.

3pm on a Saturday and I'd be joining you.

Please
or

expatinscotland · 19/06/2017 17:45

What are people going to clutch their pearls about when they finally manage to ban alcohol, tobacco, vaping, BBQs in summer, trampolines in gardens, chimineas, communal doors slamming and people using cars? I wouldn't have partaken myself, because it's a lot of calories and like to save mine for other things, but meh, in the grand scheme of things, who gives a flying fuck?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.