Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to expect parents not to drink at sports day?!?!

KCAREYW1987 · 19/06/2017 15:59

Have just returned from a very hot primary school sports day. A group of parents decided to crack open a few cold cans of pimms at about 11am. AIBU to think that this is totally out of order at a primary school sports day? I mean I know it's not cans of super brew but still I would never dream of watching my little ones in the sack race while getting sloshed in the sun! Would love to hear other opinions on this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius · 19/06/2017 17:46

"I enjoy a few drinks every day. I don't get drunk or even tipsy. What's the harm?"

@kels1234 - a few drinks every day is a lot. It is going to go over the maximum safe units recommendation, and is going to be placing a real strain on your liver - and could end up causing permanent damage.

Plus, I'm sorry, but drinking several drinks every day sounds like problem drinking to me.

Please
or

Muddlingalongalone · 19/06/2017 17:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

LiveLongAndProspero · 19/06/2017 17:48

The maximum recommendation is actually very low and not close to the level of harming your liver unless you have underlying issues.

Just because your goverment decided on a recommended level you shouldn't go over, please don't assume there was any scientific reason for the level chosen. Or that there are suddenly dangers when you go a bit over it.

Please
or

Katastrophe13 · 19/06/2017 17:48

yeh, I'm another one who thinks that if an organised pta pimms tent it's somehow ok, but taking your own seems a bit scummy. Especially at 11am on a Monday morning. Seems like a weird time and event to want to drink at. And I loves drinking I do.

Please
or

LiveLongAndProspero · 19/06/2017 17:49

Also if you're going to answer a poster who says a few drinks with a lecture about several drinks, you should really remember the difference between a few and several.

Please
or

Highalert · 19/06/2017 17:54

I've never seen any one drinking at a school sports day. Pimms tents? Where the hell do you all live?

Please
or

PinkPeppers · 19/06/2017 17:57

We've had that sort of issue at our primary.
The HT had to then be very clear and strict that for any event parents were NOT to bring alcohol or smoke on the premises.

The reason she gave was that they would be surrounded by children and this was not giving the right exams to said children (by drinking at 10.00am or 12.00pm). Same with smoking.

I don't think the issue here is about if it's OK to drink a glass of pimms. You can do that at home and any other event. School though is about the children and about teaching them the right sort of habits. Drinking at 11.00am isnt one i would want to tell my dcs it's a good habit to have.

Please
or

Madbum · 19/06/2017 17:57

We get letters sent home before every sports day reminding parents that no alcohol is to be consumed at the event in fact any school event, however the neighbouring school have fetes and BBQs where alcohol is available so I guess it depends on each schools stance on it.

Please
or

Montsti · 19/06/2017 17:57

I think it's completely fine - I'd be thrilled to have a glass of Pimms whilst watching my children's sports day....but ours are always in the morning so it would be a bit inappropriate to be drinking alcohol at 8.30am!

As long as no one gets hammered and makes a scene or drinks & drive etc...then I can't see the problem...

Please
or

Perylofcheryl · 19/06/2017 17:57

I think it is more than reasonable to expect parents to manage without an alcholic drink for the duration of a sports day. As a grandmother and retired teacher I understand the responsibility of looking after other people's children. How would the parents who think it's acceptable, feel if one of their little darlings was involved in an accident with a parent who had been drinking on the school premises.

Please
or

Enidblyton1 · 19/06/2017 18:00

I agree, it's totally unacceptable to drink pimms out of a can at sports day. It's essential to have it made properly with cucumber, mint and fruit pieces.

Please
or

Lowdoorinthewal1 · 19/06/2017 18:00

Free Pimms here also at sports day and school fete.

Please
or

Footballershusbands · 19/06/2017 18:02

Booze during the day is a bit weird.

"I don't think it's a healthy impression for our children to show them as adults you can't possibly meet up with other adults without consuming alcohol."
^This.

Please
or

Ceto · 19/06/2017 18:03

I really can't see the problem with this. OP, would you object to a beer or a Pimms tent at a school fair? What's the difference?

Please
or

Turquoise123 · 19/06/2017 18:03

There seems to be no limit to the school events/general events with young children that people will drink at.

I hate it - lots of people hate it -I really wish it did not happen.

Our children are growing up being shown that there has to be alcohol at all events.

Please
or

Lweji · 19/06/2017 18:05

I don't think it's a healthy impression for our children to show them as adults you can't possibly meet up with other adults without consuming alcohol

Unless they are getting drunk, I think it's good to model how to drink sensibly. Even during the day.

Please
or

DrinkFeckArseGirls · 19/06/2017 18:05

YABU OP. Our sports day begged for Pimms stall today. Grin vey hot and most of rhe time we were waiting round. IT was in the afternoon though.

Please
or

KCAREYW1987 · 19/06/2017 18:08

Ceto I never realised there was such a thing at other schools. We have never had alcohol at school events so I was unaware it was the done thing at others.
I put the OP up to get people's opinions and it's very interesting to hear all different opinions.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BeyondThePage · 19/06/2017 18:10

Would be fine at a summer fair - normally outside school hours (ours has Pimms in the summer, Gluhwein at Xmas) , not at a sport's day which is held during the school-day.

Parents here would be gobsmacked at people thinking it was ok or normal to be taking booze into school on a school-day.

Please
or

CiderwithBuda · 19/06/2017 18:11

Sports day a big event at our school too. Boarders' parents and grandparents etc. People bring gazebos and picnics. And there is a Pimms tent. It is very different to necking a can of lager.

Please
or

Swatsup · 19/06/2017 18:13

This isn't just any day though. If you work full time and have taken the day off to watch your kids race it might be a very rare occasion to enjoy a picnic in the sun with partner/friends without your kids pestering you. Defiantly deserves to be celebrated!

Please
or

StarHeartDiamond · 19/06/2017 18:13

Veto - school fete is much more of a social occasion than a sports day. the focus of sports day is meant to be the kids doing sports, not wandering around in the social setting that a school fete provides.

Having said that, I haven't seen an alcohol stall at our school fetes.

Please
or

StarHeartDiamond · 19/06/2017 18:14

*ceto

Please
or

ShatnersBassoon · 19/06/2017 18:16

And there is a Pimms tent. It is very different to necking a can of lager.

In what way is it very different? Genuine question. Is bottled/draught lager less different?

Please
or

ALemonyPea · 19/06/2017 18:17

Where see these schools that have Pimms tents? The DC are lucky to get a 10p ice lolly afterwards, never mind the parents having a tent with alcohol.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.