Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to expect parents not to drink at sports day?!?!

KCAREYW1987 · 19/06/2017 15:59

Have just returned from a very hot primary school sports day. A group of parents decided to crack open a few cold cans of pimms at about 11am. AIBU to think that this is totally out of order at a primary school sports day? I mean I know it's not cans of super brew but still I would never dream of watching my little ones in the sack race while getting sloshed in the sun! Would love to hear other opinions on this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

forcryinoutloud · 19/06/2017 16:53

No YANBU, there shouldn't be alcohol at a school sports day, esp primary. I shouldn't need to explain the reasons to the ones that say you are BU either, so I ain't bothering! Grin

Please
or

TomaszCanSchafernakerMeAnytime · 19/06/2017 16:53

There's no alcohol at our actual sports day but we have a big event afterwards with a fete, BBQ, Ice Cream Van etc and there's alcohol for sale then. It's all run by the PTA. Pimms tent is probably the biggest money raiser. Not surprised though, it's a fiver for a pint!! I wait till the end of the day when they're knocking it out 2 pints for a £1 to get rid of it Grin

Please
or

DixieNormas · 19/06/2017 16:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

ThanksMsMay · 19/06/2017 16:54

It's weird that he morning starts with a legal drug at a child's school. That said I'm not going to lie... I can imagine a pimms tent doing quite well at our school...

Please
or

ThanksMsMay · 19/06/2017 16:54

Might have to mention it to the pta

Please
or

rightwhine · 19/06/2017 16:55

School fete yes; it's a social occasion. School sports day no; it's a school event that parents are just invited to watch.

Please
or

DixieNormas · 19/06/2017 16:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

NKFell · 19/06/2017 16:56

Why does it have to be not managing without a drink or friends partners and kids being dull?!

Crikey.

I think each to their own, I wouldn't judge someone having a Pimms or a cold lager for that matter. In the same way I don't judge someone for having a bag of crisps instead of carrot sticks.

Please
or

LiveLongAndProspero · 19/06/2017 16:58

As a total lightweight, I wouldn't be particularly comfortable being in charge of my kids in a public after a couple of glasses of wine, so my opinion is probably coloured somewhat by this

What does YOUR personal tolerance for alcohol have to do with anyone elses drinking habits?

Please
or

Addley · 19/06/2017 16:58

I enjoy a few drinks every day. I don't get drunk or even tipsy. What's the harm?

That sounds like an alcohol problem…

Please
or

Artisanjam · 19/06/2017 16:58

DS's school dish out pimms and lemonade and strawberries and cream to parents while the children are packing up, changing and collecting school bags after sports day. It is very nice, but that is at 4pm and supplied by the school and 95% lemonade.

Please
or

Oblomov17 · 19/06/2017 17:01

Like Penguin, I'm reconsidering my online order!! Wink

I'd never thought of packing a pimms in our picnic for sports day, but I might change my mind now......

Or better still, sod it, is there enough time for me to order a wine handbag? Wink

AIBU to expect parents not to drink at sports day?!?!
Please
or

FrenchJunebug · 19/06/2017 17:01

my understanding is that schools can serve alcohol only if they have acquired a temporary licence to do so.

YANBU OP. There is a time and a place for drinking alcohol and I do not think kids' sports day is one.

Please
or

kissmethere · 19/06/2017 17:02

Don't agree with you, sorry. In a day like this it's perfect. Is pretty much the norm at our primary and the drinks tent is the biggest puller.

Please
or

JacquesHammer · 19/06/2017 17:02

As a total lightweight, I wouldn't be particularly comfortable being in charge of my kids in a public after a couple of glasses of wine, so my opinion is probably coloured somewhat by this. But really? Are your friends, partners or kids so dull that you need a drink to spend time with them

What a bizarre train of thought. I don't drink. I like my friends whether they drink or not. But me not drinking doesn't for a minute mean others shouldn't.

Please
or

nocampinghere · 19/06/2017 17:04

a pimms tent at the summer fair at the weekend (and a fundraiser) is very different to parents drinking alcohol (of any kind) at a school sports day imo.

the OP is saying the parents brought pimms to the sports day, not the school laying on a pimms tent at sports day.

Please
or

Squishedstrawberry4 · 19/06/2017 17:04

Our school does Pimms, cakes, cream teas, posh ice cream and lots of bunting around the tent. No one gets pissed. We all have a laugh.

Please
or

Squishedstrawberry4 · 19/06/2017 17:05

The PTA does it. Not the school.

Please
or

Oblomov17 · 19/06/2017 17:05

Do they have a parents race, after all this pimms?

Egg and spoon?

Please
or

SaucyJack · 19/06/2017 17:05

Shock

Oh dear Lord. It's a "no" from me.

Perhaps other schools have a different atmosphere for primary sports days, but drinking at ours would absolutely not be appropriate in the slightest.

Please
or

blackheartsgirl · 19/06/2017 17:05

Rough town here also and drinking alchohol at sportdays would have you reported to social services and it's very much frowned upon here.

Please
or

Oblomov17 · 19/06/2017 17:06

Better still, parents wheelbarrow racing anyone?

Please
or

paxillin · 19/06/2017 17:06

Are your friends, partners or kids so dull that you need a drink to spend time with them

Only the ones who drone on about other people's choices.

Please
or

Scrumpernickel · 19/06/2017 17:07

I’m a ‘sun over the yardarm’ kind of girl. The only time I deviate from this is Christmas Day, and maybe if I’m jetting off somewhere special.

Please
or

Mulledwine1 · 19/06/2017 17:10

For those school selling Alchol how do they work that around licensing laws

they get a licence, my son's primary school PTA used to have a beer tent at the school fayre.

I think they missed a trick by not making it Pimms.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.