Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to expect parents not to drink at sports day?!?!

KCAREYW1987 · 19/06/2017 15:59

Have just returned from a very hot primary school sports day. A group of parents decided to crack open a few cold cans of pimms at about 11am. AIBU to think that this is totally out of order at a primary school sports day? I mean I know it's not cans of super brew but still I would never dream of watching my little ones in the sack race while getting sloshed in the sun! Would love to hear other opinions on this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AmenacingWhistle · 19/06/2017 16:34

I think this is an upper to middle class thing.
This simply wouldn't be allowed at a working/lower class school

Please
or

MrsOverTheRoad · 19/06/2017 16:34

Star it's all the ignoring of the concerns that annoy me.

Someone says something reasonable like

"Well, the event's at a school...some parents might not be sensible and drink too much"

And then it's all
"Oooh! Pimms! What a good idea! I'm going to suggest that!"

Which is silly...ignoring the concerns of others to wax lyrical about the "importance of Pimms" or whatever is ridiculous.

Please
or

requestingsunshine · 19/06/2017 16:35

Wish our school had a Pimms tent!

Please
or

Beelzebop · 19/06/2017 16:35

Alcohol is definitely a drug.

Please
or

brasty · 19/06/2017 16:36

Lots of refreshing non alcoholic drinks I agree, but very few places sell any nice non alcoholic drinks. Orange and apple juice, over sweet J2Os, coke, and very sweet non alcoholic cocktails, are usually all you can get.

It is why in pubs I often buy non alcoholic beer as it tastes much better that soft drinks usually on offer.

Please
or

LiveLongAndProspero · 19/06/2017 16:36

Whilst those who aren't in agreement are usually quite balanced

Only if you think balanced is sniping at people, calling them tragic and pathetic and unable to do anything without drinking.

I suggest you are reading it with a biased idea.

Please
or

brasty · 19/06/2017 16:37

Beelzebop So is tea and coffee.

Please
or

BangkokBlues · 19/06/2017 16:37

I think a PTA pimms tent is a fab idea!

Please
or

TequilaSunshine · 19/06/2017 16:38

A Pimms tent at school sports day?! I'm clearly in the wrong schools.

Please
or

paxillin · 19/06/2017 16:38

Our PTA Pimms or mulled wine stall (depending on season) is the second biggest fundraiser after the burger stall at all school event. Never seen a rowdy parent.

Please
or

notangelinajolie · 19/06/2017 16:38

PTA and Pimms go together surely? Not only sports day at ours - PTA used to have a table of mince pies and nice things to drink at the back of the church after the Christmas Carol Service. And the old headmaster at DD3's GS would have considered it rude not to offer wine at parents evening Smile. I have to add that it was a small school and I can see that wouldn't have worked at a big school. Sadly he retired and new head had different ideas.

Please
or

MrsOverTheRoad · 19/06/2017 16:39

Well. We will have to agree to disagree but I do think it's stupid to mix children's sports at SCHOOL with drinking.

Please
or

LagunaBubbles · 19/06/2017 16:39

It's going to a bit of trouble for what is a sports day though Laguna

It really isnt any trouble but I was just replying to the people who had queried what about a licence. Our Scouts group did it for a disco, think they just paid and that was that.

Please
or

KCAREYW1987 · 19/06/2017 16:39

Obviously opened a can of worms here!
Thanks for all the different opinions.
Never heard of pimms/wine tents at school events before.
It's personal preference obviously. I just thought it was a Monday morning where you've had all weekend to drink. Why the need?
Funniest thing was someone told the headteacher and he went mad! The group of parents thought we had told on them! Hilarious!

OP's posts:
Please
or

brasty · 19/06/2017 16:41

There is no need for lots of things like mince pies at the Church Carol Service. We do lots of things that there is no need to do.

Please
or

MrsJayy · 19/06/2017 16:42

I dont know whyany body needs to crack open the pimms at 11 am at a school event 😕 saw a guy crack open a can of tenants lager after dropping his kids at school pushing a toddler in a buggy not reallypimms but it is just the same thing isn' it

Please
or

Sirzy · 19/06/2017 16:43

I think it is a bit different if it's not an organised thing. Can't quite say why though just doesn't sit right in that sense.

Please
or

Notso · 19/06/2017 16:44

Someone suggested selling Pimms/Wine/Beer on Sports Day at the last PTA, it was a massive no from the majority. It was touch and go as to whether cans of pop would be acceptable.

Please
or

ShatnersBassoon · 19/06/2017 16:46

Alcohol wouldn't even be on the agenda for me at an event during school hours. Weekend and evening school events are different, because they're generally social occasions and not all about the children, which things like sports day are.

I do like a drink, just not at any opportunity and not on a scorching Monday morning (Monday afternoon would be a write off). It seems a bit sad, as if watching your kid plod around the field isn't entertainment enough, or that you need a livener to get through it.

Please
or

Celticlassie · 19/06/2017 16:47

those who are for alcohol at school events, get very snotty about it...very condascending.

Whilst those who aren't in agreement are usually quite balanced.

Actually, I think the opposite is the case. Those who are for it are merely saying 'ooh, Pimms' while those who are against are suggesting severe alcoholism and child neglect will be the result of one glass of Pimms on a weekday.

Please
or

JacquesHammer · 19/06/2017 16:48

Our sports afternoon is 1pm - 3pm.

The Pimms tent (which also gives out free soft drinks) and sells strawberries and cream too makes an absolute fortune for the PTA which in turn gives our children amazing experiences.

I have been going for 8 years this time. I have never seen anyone drunk/over the limit.

Alcholism is ugly

Absolutely. But it is a HELL of a leap from a Pimms tent at an event to rampant alcoholism, no?

And before the cries come of "can't you manage without a drink" - I don't drink - I very much enjoy the free soft drinks that afternoon.

Please
or

Scrumpernickel · 19/06/2017 16:49

Taking a can of Pimms from your bag at 11am on a Monday does seem a tad unnecessary.

Please
or

TinklyLittleLaugh · 19/06/2017 16:51

There is a subset of middle class people who seem unable to do anything without cracking open a bottle nowadays. Picnic on the beach, day at country park, play date in the garden, sitting on a plane or train and they are on it.

As a total lightweight, I wouldn't be particularly comfortable being in charge of my kids in a public after a couple of glasses of wine, so my opinion is probably coloured somewhat by this. But really? Are your friends, partners or kids so dull that you need a drink to spend time with them?

Please
or

VerityHabitat · 19/06/2017 16:51

We always had Pimms and wine and beer at events that weren't during the school day. But no alcohol at sports day.

Please
or

SquidgeyMidgey · 19/06/2017 16:52

Taking a can of Pimms from your bag at 11am on a Monday does seem a tad unnecessary.

Exactly. I can't see how it's any different from cracking out a can of lager at 11am at a school event. Would it be quite so pleasant then?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.