Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask what you do of an evening?

103 replies

MissBax · 13/06/2017 19:34

What do you all do with your evenings? Once home from work, me and DP cook, eat and then sit in front of the telly for about 4/5 hours! I'd like to say it's cos I'm heavily pregnant, but we've done the same for years. I usually feel too knackered during the week to want to do much, but am very aware how empty it is. I enjoy it, but don't want to confine myself to being a couch potato for the rest of my days.

OP posts:
CremeEggThief · 13/06/2017 19:36

Lie on the sofa and watch tv/ browse on my phone and/or tablet. I wash up and wipe the surfaces down at some stage, usually before sitting down, or sometimes after.

Patriciathestripper1 · 13/06/2017 19:37

Must admit I'm the same. After evening meal all I want to do is veg out infront if tv.
I do go out round ten for last dog wee and to check animals and lock up buildings and sheds but after that it's just tv.
New I've written it down it sounds so lazy Blush

Angelicinnocent · 13/06/2017 19:37

Walk the dog, yell at kids for leaving a mess, cook tea, soak in bath and grab my book. I love it and have done for 20 years.

arbrighton · 13/06/2017 19:39

Have to admit, much the same usually (and even before I was pregnant, yes).

Occasionally a bit of ironing or water the garden.

Let the dogs out in the garden as required (they don't get walked in the evening)

We have sometimes been for a swim, or out to the cinema (everyone says we MUST before baby arrives!)

But we're homebodies/ prematurely very middle aged!

EmmaC78 · 13/06/2017 19:39

I generally finish work at around 6 and have a forty minute drive home. i normally stop in and check my horse on the way home. By the time I have done that I don't feel like doing much apart from a quick tidy of the flat I generally just watch TV.

Achoopichu · 13/06/2017 19:41

Gosh I'm so glad to read all these I always feel like I should be doing the gym or similar Grin

Good to know I'm not the only one who does mumsnet and tv!

Mexxi · 13/06/2017 19:41

Sounds like a typical evening for me, OP! I keep thinking I should do more with my evenings, but then realise that I'm perfectly happy as I am.

Lochan · 13/06/2017 19:42

Cook, housework, play with the kids, a bit more work. If everything else is finished mostly read with a bit of MNing thrown in.

I don't watch much TV.

Kursk · 13/06/2017 19:42

DH gets home at 5:30. We walk the dogs, cook, and eat. By that time it's about 7:00. We then do chores/garden/stuff until 8:00. Then TV to about 10:00 then bed.

catgirl1976 · 13/06/2017 19:43

Generally after getting DS to bed about 7:30pm I'll do house work, have a bath, get stuff ready for school and work the next day. I'll be up and down to DS till about half nine as he's a nightmare for going to sleep.

By about 9 / 9:30 I'll have dinner then TV till I go to bed, then I'll read in bed.

I should go to the gym or something but by the time all the cleaning, laundry and sorting is done I'm shattered so that never happens.

catgirl1976 · 13/06/2017 19:43

Oh - and obviously waste time on the internet. LOTS of that.

Ridingthegravytrain · 13/06/2017 19:43

Kids to bed. Dinner. Bath. Bed with tv. Bliss

Notsure1234 · 13/06/2017 19:45

Pre dc1 I did the same as you.

Now I have a toddler that clings to me all day and I can get nothing done, so evenings are spent doing laundry and house work.

Once my kids are a bit older I expect to revert to normal to watching tv/mumsnetting/reading

TheHodgeoftheHedge · 13/06/2017 19:45

I'm insanely jealous of anyone who gets 4-5 hours of time for anything after cooking and eating dinner!

Strokethefurrywall · 13/06/2017 19:46

Don't worry, 80% of the time its the same here and I live in the Caribbean when it's permanently hot, sunny and great outdoor weather. When you've got small kids, everyone's routine is the same no matter where in the world you are!

I get home, my helper either has the kids in the pool or out scooting. Generally speaking me/DH take the dogs out/start dinner and sometime around 6.30pm the yelling commences - "5 minutes until bathtime... BATHTIME NOW... don't make me throw that ipad out!" etc etc.
After they're in bed, we usually catch up with shows - if I've not worked out in the morning, I'll go for a run or a workout, or to meet friends for dinner.

I'm far more of a morning person, like to work out at 5am and have a few more hours of quiet to start the day and am happy to chill out watching TV of an evening.

Offherhead · 13/06/2017 19:50

Get the children to bed. The housework. Read. Internet. Bed. It is a shocking waste of hours!

WombatStewForTea · 13/06/2017 19:53

Work-mark books or planning. The joys of teaching.

WithCheesePlease · 13/06/2017 19:54

Same, no kids yet. Get home about 7pm, think about going to the gym, then decide not to go to the gym (literally almost every day Grin), sit on the couch and watch TV. Try to find something we both like, or else watch in separate rooms. Not exactly love's young dream! Grin

GreenHillsOfHome · 13/06/2017 19:55

I'm insanely jealous of anyone who gets 4-5 hours of time for anything after cooking and eating dinner!

We do little that's useful in the evenings...about 50/50 of we even wash the dishes after dc are in bed tbh. We'll watch a film or play cards together sometimes. Or I'll catch up on soaps and he'll be on the internet. But mainly veg out.

However, it means we're up at 6 ironing uniforms, checking book bags for letters, making packed lunches etc.

We constantly make resolutions with ourselves that when the dc are in bed we'll get all these jobs done so that mornings are more relaxing...if rarely happens though!

MrsELM21 · 13/06/2017 19:56

An exercise class 2 nights per week otherwise just the usual, kids to bed, tidy up/put a wash on or whatever needs doing, TV, DH goes to bed v early as he starts work super early, since this has started I have become absolutely addicted to MN Blush

Teutonic · 13/06/2017 19:56

Come home from babysitting granddaughters, have shower, get ready for work, go to work.
On my days off, come home from babysitting granddaughters, come home, make evening meal, wash up, read or watch football, and chat with DH, have shower, go to bed.

Teutonic · 13/06/2017 19:58

If not reading or watch in football, go online.

Highalert · 13/06/2017 19:58

Eat dinner,have a bit of potter about in the garden if the weathers nice. Then piss about on the internet with one eye on the telly.

sailawaywithme · 13/06/2017 20:00

Cook, eat, cleanup, play with kids, do the bedtime routine, then spend a couple of hours reading, working out, meeting friends, etc. I'm training for my first triathlon, so more active than usual at the mo.

I must admit, I can't quite fathom sitting on my arse for 4 or 5 hours watching TV. And most nights? I think I'd feel as though my life were passing me by if that's how I spent my time, to be honest.

SinglePringle · 13/06/2017 20:00

Tend to go to the gym on the way home from work (occasionally home first and then the gym), so don't get home till after 8pm (on way home now). Will unpack gym kit and rest of bag, change into shorts / pjs (weather dependent), think about tomorrow's clothes, chuck a load on, take make up off, cook / make salad and eat. Probably around 8.30 / 9pm by this time. Watch some telly, hit the sack around 10.30 after the news.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.