Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask what you do of an evening?

103 replies

MissBax · 13/06/2017 19:34

What do you all do with your evenings? Once home from work, me and DP cook, eat and then sit in front of the telly for about 4/5 hours! I'd like to say it's cos I'm heavily pregnant, but we've done the same for years. I usually feel too knackered during the week to want to do much, but am very aware how empty it is. I enjoy it, but don't want to confine myself to being a couch potato for the rest of my days.

OP posts:
MrsCharlieD · 13/06/2017 22:00

Home usually by 6pm, make tea and tidy kitchen, then it's bath and bedtime for DS which usually takes an hour. Dh and I generally then sit down around 8ish with Netflix or a dvd. Sometimes I watch TV in bed. I'm usually asleep by 10 though and then up at 6.

Leanin15yearsmaybe · 13/06/2017 22:01

School run, (occasionally park or bike ride straight after) cook dinner, kids homework, shower/baths, play games with the kids, bedtime. If I'm honest I usually get into bed about 10 minutes after the kids to read/watch TV/browse phone as it's so comfy! Plus I probably need to yell 'back to bed' every 5 minutes for the next hour which they claim not to be able to hear when I'm downstairs Hmm

Sunshinegirls · 13/06/2017 22:06

Get the kids to bed for 7.30, then me and DH tidy up then we have dinner around 8 (he works too late to have family dinners, kid are too young to wait up) then we sit at on the sofa looking at our phones with some shit on the telly and drink tea. At weekends we do the same but with wine.

Amammi · 13/06/2017 22:10

Get home about 18.00,put food in oven, rush back put to bring child to an activity, leg it home to prepare meal eat then collect child. throw on a wash, sort clothes that have been washed in front of TV or iron in front of TV. At 9pm bring dog (she's old) for a short walk. One night a week I go to a club and when that's not on I meet pal for a walk. Once a month Bookclub once a month, once a month church committee meeting.

Girlwiththearabstrap · 13/06/2017 22:13

I think everyone has similar evenings with kids midweek.
I go to the gym or a run 3 nights a week. I have book group once a month too. My husband occasionally goes to gigs and stuff. If we can get a babysitter I might join him. I don't really watch much TV but my evenings are pretty quiet - sometimes a bit of work/reading/bit of TV.

manicinsomniac · 13/06/2017 22:14

I seem to live at a dance studio. Two older daughters and I have different classes so one or two of us usually seem to be waiting for the others and my youngest calls the staff Auntie and Uncle and has her own plastic cup and pillow in the office Grin

Gymnastics or the theatre sometimes.

Also have an overnight shift at work once a week (boarding school)

Rarely home before 9.

Composteleana · 13/06/2017 22:31

DP plays sport Mon and Tue evenings, Mon I'll walk the dog, catch up on tv (usually the only time I get to choose what's on!), read or faff online. Tuesdays I either go to my best friend's for tea or she comes to me.

Rest of the week it's dog walking, cooking, bits of work (teacher), and reading. I'm also doing an MA so in theory should be spending time on that but I definitely spend more time avoiding the issue. May watch a bit of TV with DP but to be honest we're in bed for 10 if not sooner - I'd love to say for sexy times but usually he's watching some shit on his tablet and I'm either reading or mumsnetting (as now).

DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel · 13/06/2017 22:39

A typical night is
4:30-5:30PM get home from work
walk the dog
eat some tea
6:30PM leave the house to go to bootcamp/running/gym
8:30PM arrive home and shower and put DD2 to bed
9PM finally sit and chill. Usually watch a bit of TV
10:30-11PM bed

Then I burn out and have to have an extra night off somewhere (like tonight) and just sit. DH is a SAHD so does the washing up in the morning in between taking DD1 to her bus and DD2 to school.

Was saying to DH that I was tired today and he mentioned about me having a busy few days, but Id get bored if I didn't. DH likes sitting around doing nowt. I get itchy and restless.

DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel · 13/06/2017 22:40

8:30PM arrive home and shower and put DD2 to bed sorry I meant DD1 to bed

GetAHaircutCarl · 13/06/2017 22:42

Dinner around 7.30.
Then some telly or reading.
I probably go out once a week ( midweek) with mates for dinner or to a literary salon/book reading/ poetry slam.

spamm · 13/06/2017 22:48

I leave work around 5.30 or 6.00 pm most evenings - 40-45 drive home.

During the school year, I generally do homework with DS or review work he has done, and then start dinner around 7.30. I like the cooking - but I hate having to chose what to prepare, that drives me insane.

Once dinner is done and we have eaten, I will tidy the kitchen and prepare DS's packed lunch. Then I will likely join my DH in the basement to watch tv, pay some bills, or do some work on my laptop if things are busy in the office. I also do emails and social media for the youth rugby club, make sure all the scouts stuff is up to date, or may be do washing and ironing.

Last night I made progress on my knitting - I have started something more complicated than I am used to, so I was trying to work my way through it.

Get DS to bed between 8.30 and 9.30 pm, depending on what has been happening (rugby practice, music, school holidays...) and then we tend to head up together around 10.30pm. We take the dog out for a last pee, and then head to bed.

phoenix1973 · 13/06/2017 22:51

Before child, I would go to the cinema or swim, aerobics etc. Loved it.

Now I often surf the net, water plants, overeat, bath and read, watch a little tv.

BumWad · 13/06/2017 22:52

Test

toffeeboffin · 13/06/2017 22:53

Dinner, park /play with DC'S, baths when necessary. In an ideal world they are both asleep by 8pm.

If this happens I either pass out in front of Netflix or go cycling. Cycling is happening more recently as DD is sleeping better.

Usually I'm asleep by 9.30pm (saddo)

rightsofwomen · 13/06/2017 22:54

Once I've got the 8 yo in bed I go swimming or running. Then do housework. Then potter about. Don't watch much telly.

CreepyPasta · 13/06/2017 22:56

Not rtft but I think you'll have had a pretty even split of people that sloth on their sofas (like me) and people that have more energy and do a few extra curricular

rightsofwomen · 13/06/2017 22:56

nb am single parent, ds18 minds the little one when I'm out.

Theresnonamesleft · 13/06/2017 23:04

Depends. At the moment cook dinner. Clean up afterwards. Tell child to get in the bath.
Maybe do a load of washing. Maybe go cinema. Chat to the dc's to find out how their day was. Youngest goes to bed then either watch trash, go online or play.

Normally - in from work - as above less playing though. Study. Create resources for a specific app we use at work/ or prepare training Material/ or work on other resources. Go out for dinner. Go for a walk down the embankment when the weather is like it is at the moment.

Pollaidh · 13/06/2017 23:05

Once the children are in bed I do house admin type stuff, food order, sometimes actual work, do volunteer work like on-line mentoring of socially deprived teenagers, write my novel (that almost every night). Bit of mumsnet when too tired to think. Read. Once a week minimum have a night with DH. We both do sport and music on different week nights.

Occasionally we watch TV or a film together, but it's very rare. Unfortunately we both have strange working hours due to timezones, so very rarely both free at the same time.

pawpatrol123 · 13/06/2017 23:15

Children are in bed by 7 usually. After that I either study, or just collapse in a heap on the sofa!

2017SoFarSoGood · 13/06/2017 23:19

oh how jealous I am of all of you who have evenings, ones that can be hours long! I'm out at 7:00 a.m. back after 7:20 p.m (unless commute gets screwed up then it is anyone's guess when I get home), get changed, eat, watch 45-50 minutes of telly, then ready for bed. Up at 5:45 and need my zzzzz's. I remember having an evening, and doing things. Those were the days.

Got to do something about this; it is not a life!

JaceLancs · 13/06/2017 23:23

Twice a week I go swimming
One night slimming world
See friends or family 2 nights
Other 2 evenings I catch up on housework do my food shopping, washing ironing etc
I usually have another 1-2 hours spare each evening where I surf internet, watch tv, knit, read a book or do a jigsaw depending on my mood
I'm usually out of the house between 8 and 6 most days, unless working away

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

claraelsa · 13/06/2017 23:25

Cook, wash up, eat dinner, wash up and clean the kitchen, spend time with my dcs And go to bed.

MrSlant · 13/06/2017 23:28

Missing the pregnant lazy days now. My life consists of work, pick up after school for DS3, home by 4 to gather in teens, throw carbs/protein/fruit/water at everyone then it's swimming/music lessons/rugby/football/swimming/surf club/cycling/music/choir aaaand if lucky home for tea. Twice a week home well after nine and I'm itching to throw the dogs in the garden and go to bed. FB/Netflix/MN and sleep ready to start again tomorrow. Soon the older teens will be gone to uni and I have no idea what I will do with my evenings. I'm a bit scared to be honest. No DP though so I guess it will be quieter than most.

I miss the days of tea at six, Cbeebies bedtime hour then grown-up time. My children are awake later than me. Soon my children will be awake later than me somewhere else and I don't know how it happened so quickly. I love our busy lives at the moment probably because I know it won't last and I can catch up on my rest soon. I feel ancient Grin

Peachypeaches · 13/06/2017 23:42

This evening was pretty typical really. Finished work at 4, home by 4:15. Sat in garden with a coffee chatting to DS (15) about our days. Did about an hours housework, cooked and ate dinner, cleared away, wiped down kitchen. My friend popped over for a cuppa and a chat as she's going on holiday tomorrow. Had bubble bath, then sat in front of TV (watched Riverdale and Love Island), then bed at 11ish. Once a week I go swimming in the evening, and I often have to drive my son to meet his friends as we live in the middle of nowhere. A couple times a week we'll go for a walk after dinner. Only thing different is that DH is working away at the moment,l usually I wouldn't get to watch such trashy tv!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.