Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Turner away from nursery

154 replies

Mulch · 12/06/2017 12:17

I don't know if it's my pmt and I've not had breakfast yet but I've just been to view a nursery to be told they can't show me around and to come back later as their having lunch.

Reason why I ask is after working In a care setting, it didn't matter how busy we were or what we were doing if someone came to visit we'd juggle things round to make time for them. People could turn up at any time.

OP posts:
Dottie39 · 12/06/2017 12:18

Did you have an appointment to view?

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay · 12/06/2017 12:19

YABVU. If you want to see a nursery you have to make an appointment. There needs to be a staff member available to show you around and answer any questions. Do you think they would open the door and let you have a wander about? Get a grip.

Oogle · 12/06/2017 12:19

You can't just turn up and expect to be shown around. Surely that goes against safeguarding?

Sirzy · 12/06/2017 12:19

I am all for a general open door policy but I think expecting to be shown around at lunchtime is madness!

ghostyslovesheets · 12/06/2017 12:20

You need an apt they can't have any old bugger off the street wandering round a nursery Grin

Penguiney · 12/06/2017 12:20

Wtf? You can't just turn up, especially at lunch time and expect to be shown around.

Mulch · 12/06/2017 12:21

My place we juggle staff around to show people about even if it means people take lunch abit later

OP posts:
Chloe84 · 12/06/2017 12:23

Did you post this a couple of weeks ago as well?

BillSykesDog · 12/06/2017 12:23

No they are absolutely right. There is a ratio of staff to children that they have to maintain, if some of them are having lunch and one of them dropped everything to show you round they would likely go under those ratios and be breaking the law.

LittleMissCrappy · 12/06/2017 12:24

did you have an appointment?

many nurseries have a policy that you are not allowed in the setting at all if you don't have an appointment. I'm a childminder and there is no way that I would let a stranger in my setting when they knock on the door. Child protection issue.

And staff have a right to have a lunch break you know. Yes, even underpaid nursery staff.

Mulch · 12/06/2017 12:24

Nope happened just today

OP posts:
Scrumptiousbears · 12/06/2017 12:25

I've always had to make an appointment to view a childcare setting. I'd never dream of walking in off the street.

CottonSock · 12/06/2017 12:26

Mine is open door, but fair enough if it was lunchtime.

Mulch · 12/06/2017 12:26

No didn't have an appointment checked their website which has the following

Please browse our website and contact us with any queries you may have. Alternatively, if you would like to pay us a visit, please feel free to stop by anytime (no appointment needed). 
We will be more than happy to show you around.

OP posts:
PopcornBits · 12/06/2017 12:27

I agree Mulch you shouldn't need an appointment to go and visit a nursery, and I have always read that you shouldn't need an appointment to go view a nursery, it's best to go view it as it is without them doing the necessary tidying up etc because they know they have a viewing!

I would have been disappointed to, to be told I couldn't view it, but would write it off my list as they cant accommodate people, then I wouldn't trust them in the future to accommodate me if I needed the extra childcare.

Peachesandcream15 · 12/06/2017 12:27

Lunch is their busiest time!! The children can't wait for their lunch. Yabu.

LittleMissCrappy · 12/06/2017 12:28

So I suppose you have the option of not sending your children there.

Do you not get that they need a lunch break?

lorrimay · 12/06/2017 12:29

I think it shows that they are putting the care of the children and staff first which is a good thing.

PopcornBits · 12/06/2017 12:29

But then they should have extra staff available if they know their lunch is the busiest and maybe not write on their website that people are free to drop by without an appointment if they can't actually accommodate them!

Mulch · 12/06/2017 12:30

There was no mention of lunchbreak on their Website they advertised to turn up anytime and being the cynic that I am I wanted to see it when their not expecting people

OP posts:
GahBuggerit · 12/06/2017 12:30

So they feed the kids AND ensure there are adequate staff around while they are eating so it all goes smoothly and they are taken care of?

Balls to that OP, find another nursery.

Mulch · 12/06/2017 12:31

After working in a similar environment I'd encourage all parents to randomly show up time to time however inconvenient

OP posts:
HateSummer · 12/06/2017 12:35

There was no mention of lunchbreak on their Website

But you do realise that they probably DO have lunch time? Grin. And that sitting 15-20 odd children down and giving them food can get quite hectic? I wouldn't think they'd need to spell that out on the website. They could also have been a staff member down.

GahBuggerit · 12/06/2017 12:40

Im with Hate, I imagine they thought they wouldnt have to say no visits during lunch time because its obvious, especially knowing how exciting random grown ups walking around their nursery are to little kids, who would actively want to cause disruption like that while they are trying to eat?

And actually, it is obvious, as OP you yourself have admitted you wanted to go and catch them out when they weren't expecting it so went during lunch.

Pinkheart5919 · 12/06/2017 12:44

Maybe they thought them having lunch & feeding the dc was a given 😂 And therefore didn't feel the need to put that on the website.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.