Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Turner away from nursery

154 replies

Mulch · 12/06/2017 12:17

I don't know if it's my pmt and I've not had breakfast yet but I've just been to view a nursery to be told they can't show me around and to come back later as their having lunch.

Reason why I ask is after working In a care setting, it didn't matter how busy we were or what we were doing if someone came to visit we'd juggle things round to make time for them. People could turn up at any time.

OP posts:
PonderLand · 12/06/2017 13:24

Assuming nursery staff take different breaks then I think they meant the children were eating. If it's anything like my work we can't take our own lunch when the patients are having lunch as meal times are the busiest times of the day. Did they suggest coming later or a better suited time?

TiggyD · 12/06/2017 13:26

There should have been a manager not counted in ratio, but unforeseen circumstances happen. YABU.

Also, you would have seen the building and a lot of children eating. Half the stuff would have been put away and you wouldn't have seen the 'learny' bits that make up most of the day.

SnotGoblin · 12/06/2017 13:33

Lunch time in a nursery setting means all the staff were busy trying to get the children and babies fed. If you wanted to interrupt a staff lunch time to get shown around, you should have showed up at nap time.

Either way, YABU.

PersianCatLady · 12/06/2017 13:34

They should probably revise their wording but pitching up at lunchtime
OP - Do you have a screen shot of where on the website it says that unannounced visits at any time are acceptable??

Brittbugs80 · 12/06/2017 13:38

There was a post not long ago about this. You don't need an appointment to view generally but food times are always the worst to visit.

It's not safeguarding issue as doors are ALWAYS locked. Keyworkers don't leave the children to do show rounds.

You will some crack pot answers on here, but no, your perfectly entitled to show up and look round.

OnionKnight · 12/06/2017 13:39

You will some crack pot answers on here, but no, your perfectly entitled to show up and look round.

No she isn't as she found out for herself.

Fruitcocktail6 · 12/06/2017 13:46

Oh bugger off. Trust me as a preschool worker, we don't want anyone as precious and as hard work as you sound. Go somewhere else.

Morphene · 12/06/2017 13:47

I'd be pissed off if it says visit anytime no appointment needed and then they sent you away.

Fruitcocktail6 · 12/06/2017 13:47

(And yes, we only do viewings by appointment)

TheMysteriousJackelope · 12/06/2017 13:48

Your complaint seems to be that the website gave inaccurate information. Send a message to the webmaster for the nursery (if the contact is on the web page) or call the nursery and ask to speak to whoever manages the content of the web page and ask them to change the site to reflect that lunch time is not a good time to visit. That would seem to be the sensible way to handle this.

The place where you worked had sufficient staff to handle visits at any time. This one clearly doesn't. It is good that they put the safety of children above enticing new customers. It is not so good that a visit can put them below required adult/children ratio.

Montymorency · 12/06/2017 13:48

I would believe this apart from the fact that OP works in a care setting and more than anyone should understand the need to make an appointment. I work in a residential care home and we would never show anyone round without prior arrangement having taken name and contact details. Think about it OP - is it reasonable in any sort of business to expect someone to be available at the drop of the hat? It can't be just anyone, it has to be the person deputed to do this who has the right experience and knowledge to answer your questions. They may well have other commitments when you just breeze in with your expectations! Or even not be on duty that day. Or actually carrying out a pre-arranged viewing. It's quite rude and unreasonable to criticise the nursery for this. If they don't know you from Adam who is to say you are who you claim to be (in this day and age) and not someone with evil intentions....?

Brittbugs80 · 12/06/2017 13:51

No she isn't as she found out for herself

And I also said meal times are the worst times.

I'd be wary of appointment only nurseries. You'd be surprised how many nurseries set up according to appointments and put out extra toys and the staff overact their role and involvement with the children. My last nursery used to do that and once the showround left, the children were left to their own devices.

InvisibleKittenAttack · 12/06/2017 13:53

TiggyD - in most nurseries around here, the office staff are also expected to go into the various rooms to keep the ratios up to cover staff lunch breaks. (then take their own lunches at different times).

Honestly, lunch is the least likely time they'll have spare capacity in a nursery setting, although I can see in a school setting it's most likely that someone from the teaching staff would be able to walk you round.

TheFirstMrsDV · 12/06/2017 13:53

I used to accompany parents on viewings of SEN nurseries OP.
There was NO way we could just rock up at anytime.
We always had appointments. Mainly because the head or assistant head would be showing us round.
We also wanted to see the classrooms at work so why would we go at lunchtime Confused

Lunchtime in SEN schools are a logistics in action. Kids needing one to one, kids needing help moving around the school, kids needing alternative feeding etc.

I can't work out if you work in SN or were visiting but either way YABU.

My Son goes to a SN school. I don't want people rocking up at his meal time thanks.

Brittbugs80 · 12/06/2017 13:55

And how does having a name and telephone and address a day in advance make it safer than someone who shows up and you take that information off them there and then?

You don't run full background checks on visitors before you let them on site, hell you don't even check your prospective parents and their credentials or the people they nominate to collect their child.

Sometimes common sense is lacking.

bugaboo218 · 12/06/2017 13:57

Yes always view a nursery during operational hours but never at lunch time! Most nurseries would not allow a stranger on the premises without having an appointment despite any claims on a nursery website! It is a safeguarding issue !

At lunch time the children.and staff will be eating and some children asleep. No nursery will disturb rhe children's routine or staff lunch breaks to see a person who has just walked in for a random show round!

glastogal · 12/06/2017 13:57

If the website suggests you can turn up any time without an appointment, then obviously YANBU to do just that!! Seems they may have handled it badly, perhaps someone is off sick today and they didn't have the numbers to give you a tour? It would have been easy to explain so I don't know why they didn't. Sorry you are getting such a hard time OP - I don't think you did anything wrong!

OddBoots · 12/06/2017 14:03

You'll get some good answers about this on the last thread about this

PersianCatLady · 12/06/2017 14:06

I'd be pissed off if it says visit anytime no appointment needed and then they sent you away
I would still like to see a screenshot of the part of the website that actually states that you can turn up whenever you like without an appointment.

PersianCatLady · 12/06/2017 14:08

I would believe this apart from the fact that
We only have the OP's word about what the website said.

It seems very strange to me that the website would say no appointment necessary when one is necessary.

PersianCatLady · 12/06/2017 14:13

You don't run full background checks on visitors before you let them on site
It is still preferable to only admit prearranged visitors than people who just turn up unannounced.

OnionKnight · 12/06/2017 14:13

It seems very strange to me that the website would say no appointment necessary when one is necessary.

The website could be out of date or the nursery staff could be wrong.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

TinselTwins · 12/06/2017 14:28

YABU

would you really want your kid in a nursery where the staff drop everything to shmooze potential new customers?

Or one that makes sure that all hands are on deck to help the KIDS at lunch time?

expatinscotland · 12/06/2017 14:28

Newsflash: websites are not law and this is not your workplace. If you want your child's nursery to operate like your workplace send him/her there. Or set one up yourself that will cater to precious, entitled 'customers' at the expense of someone's breaks and the children's breaks. I wouldn't want to work in a place that treated employees like such shite, that they're expected to give up their breaks for any random that walk in off the street, not send my kid to a nursery that allows randoms in at any time.

YABVU!

NoFucksImAQueen · 12/06/2017 14:32

Our nursery has an open door policy. It was one of my reasons I chose them. Not many places do though

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.