Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Turner away from nursery

154 replies

Mulch · 12/06/2017 12:17

I don't know if it's my pmt and I've not had breakfast yet but I've just been to view a nursery to be told they can't show me around and to come back later as their having lunch.

Reason why I ask is after working In a care setting, it didn't matter how busy we were or what we were doing if someone came to visit we'd juggle things round to make time for them. People could turn up at any time.

OP posts:
NoFucksImAQueen · 12/06/2017 14:33

One of THE not my

TinselTwins · 12/06/2017 14:35

Our nursery has an open door policy. It was one of my reasons I chose them. Not many places do though

Open door to existing parents is fine

Having a load of strange adults standing over you gawping while you're supposed to be concentrating on eating your lunch though - that'ld put ME off my lunch and I'm a glutton not a fussy 2 year old!!

I viewed an "open door" nursery, didn't chose it, but it was "open door" to parents, VISITORS still had to make an appointment to be shown around rather than just show up and pinch the staff away from their duties!

TinselTwins · 12/06/2017 14:38

Or if you mean the staff's lunch, which of these scenarios would you have preferred?

1. The staff ON lunch get pulled off their break for you and spend the afternoon looking afteer kids while hungry/thirsty/grumpy

or
  1. The staff NOT on break pander to you, leaving ratios unsafe since half of them are already gone to lunch so there isn't anyone "spare"

1 or 2? hmm?
Louiselouie0890 · 12/06/2017 15:14

So you want a staff member to have a late lunch and expect them to shuffle everything round just for yourself yabvu. Staff and children come first.

londonrach · 12/06/2017 15:17

Looking at nurseries myself at the moment. Any nursery that allowed me to look at them without booking i will not be using. As it happens each one requires booking. Yabu

Fruitcocktail6 · 12/06/2017 15:18

Open door policy at a nursery is a really bizarre concept. It's not a public place, value privacy for your children over entitled adults interupting everyone's lunch.

PersianCatLady · 12/06/2017 15:23

The website could be out of date or the nursery staff could be wrong
Until the OP posts a copy of the screenshot of the website, I am going to assume that the website said nothing of the sort.

I am looking forward to being proved wrong though.

Mulch · 12/06/2017 15:23

Screenshot from website

Turner away from nursery
OP posts:
PersianCatLady · 12/06/2017 15:31

Thanks for the screenshot.

They are being unreasonable to have incorrect information on their website as you were quite right in thinking that it was OK to turn up if they are advertising that it is.

Personally I would not want my child to go to a nursery that had a policy like this.

If I were you I would write to the manager and ask them to change the details on their website.

kali110 · 12/06/2017 15:32

But you do realise that they probably DO have lunch time? grin. And that sitting 15-20 odd children down and giving them food can get quite hectic? I wouldn't think they'd need to spell that out on the website.
This.

SerfTerf · 12/06/2017 15:36

Absolute red flag to me.

I have four DC with large age gaps.

Admittedly, when I was viewing nurseries for the older ones (the first 20+ years ago) security worries were less prominent, but it was always understood that the mark of a really good setting was transparency and willingness to welcome parents and prospective parents at any time without notice.

I can remember my mother scoping out childcare for my much younger siblings 35+ years ago and that this was very much an expectation of my mother and her friends several of whom had worked in early years care 45+ years ago.

If they are busy, they can invite you in, show you a seat and ask you to wait while they finish serving lunch. If they're any good, they can serve lunch without getting flustered or hurried and they'd want you to see that. If they sent me away, I'd worry about what they DIDN'T want parents to see and strike them off my list.

SerfTerf · 12/06/2017 15:38

The reason that's on the website is because it's good practice. So why aren't they living up to it?

SandyDenny · 12/06/2017 15:40

Actually if they don't want people to come at lunchtime they absolutely do need to say it on the website.

I think it's bizarre that posters think that visitors to the website who are mostly going to be first time parents should not only somehow magically know not to come at lunchtime but also know what time that is! That's ridiculous, if they say anytime it's not unreasonable to take them at their word.

However, I don't think allowing random drop is sensible in the first place.

Brittbugs80 · 12/06/2017 15:41

I wonder if people understand open door policy in relation to an early years setting?

You all know it gets you no further than the reception/office area? You don't go straight into the rooms where the children are?

stopfuckingshoutingatme · 12/06/2017 15:42

that's weird, you cant turn up at school. In fact you cant even get in. but a Nursery any fucker can rock up with a bomb strapped to their rucksack I dare say

shocking!

expatinscotland · 12/06/2017 15:45

So why not complain to them, Mulch, rather than going on like a dog with a bone about how wrong they are? Hmm You keep banging on and on even though the majority have told you that YABU. Tell it to the face then, how upset you are people can't just rock up even though the website said otherwise. Find another place for your kids to go.

expatinscotland · 12/06/2017 15:46

'but a Nursery any fucker can rock up with a bomb strapped to their rucksack I dare say'

Exactly! Not a nursery I'd want to send my kids to.

SerfTerf · 12/06/2017 15:47

Well what are the risks?

Intruders with ill intent. Which appointment making won't mitigate at all. Staff training and the universal video entry phones are the only protection available.

versus

Rough handling, snappiness and poor practice from staff, which unannounced, benign parental visits DO militate against.

SerfTerf · 12/06/2017 15:49

Don't be silly @stopfuckingshoutingatme
A terrorist can make an appointment in just the same way we all can. Just as they can hire vans and buy train tickets. Staff instinct and drills are your only real protection against those people.

Brittbugs80 · 12/06/2017 15:50

that's weird, you cant turn up at school. In fact you cant even get in. but a Nursery any fucker can rock up with a bomb strapped to their rucksack I dare say

So booking an appointment and getting in wearing a bomb is safer how?!?!?!

Can you explain how booking makes it safer?

Mulch · 12/06/2017 15:53

What's the point of a writing a thread to then not engage and respond?

OP posts:
SerfTerf · 12/06/2017 15:54

Oops sorry if that's depressed everyone. It's just the grim truth. But it's why I really, REALLY want the best nursery with the calmest most unflappable staff available.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

PersianCatLady · 12/06/2017 15:56

Actually if they don't want people to come at lunchtime they absolutely do need to say it on the website
Exactly.

SerfTerf · 12/06/2017 15:57

Oh FGS @expatinscotland why does anyone start a thread about ANYTHING? To DISCUSS it.

As it happens I think OP is 100% correct, but there's probably a reason people aren't comfortable recognising that. They want to believe an appointment system has magical powers. It's understandable.

expatinscotland · 12/06/2017 16:02

'but there's probably a reason people aren't comfortable recognising that. They want to believe an appointment system has magical powers. It's understandable.'

Or maybe they disagree with allowing randoms to rock up at a nursery and be let in. Hmm Just a thought.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.