Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

About 'International Men's Day'

ZoeTurtle · 19/11/2015 08:45

I've just been informed by a colleague that it's International Men's Day. According to their website:

It is an occasion for men to celebrate their achievements and contributions, in particular their contributions to community, family, marriage, and child care while highlighting the discrimination against them.

AIBU to think this is MRA bollocks or is there a big problem of "discrimination against men" that we should be highlighting?

OP's posts:
Please
or

CultureSucksDownWords · 19/11/2015 11:25

Can someone please give a specific example of 'man-hate' that's been posted on this thread, or elsewhere if its rampant?

Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 11:27

Saying that a male is not discriminated against just because he is a male.

Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 11:28

Who gives a shit?

On that note, it is apparently International Toilet Day today, raising awareness of sanitation in developing countries

Here's another. Imagine if someone said that by way of comparison to IWD

Please
or

ottothedog · 19/11/2015 11:29

Why highlight the last part of my post DamnBamboo? Like I said, I don't have a problem with men organising campaigns to highlight ways the patriarchy oppresses them as well.

Please
or

howtorebuild · 19/11/2015 11:31

That's mn. On another thread someone apparently had polish in one hand and excrement in another.

Please
or

CultureSucksDownWords · 19/11/2015 11:35

Is that hate? Or an opinion that you think is incorrect?

Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 11:46

I was asking a question otto about the bit I highlighted? That is clear surely? I

Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 11:48

Just reverse the statements culture and direct them towards females and try to tell me that it wouldn't be considered misogynistic?

Comparing IWD with toilets and then starting to talk about cats and their behaviour instead.

You don't see the problem with this?

Please
or

Sallyingforth · 19/11/2015 11:51

I'm very happy to celebrate men who do deserve praise, and there are many of them. I don't subscribe to the typical MN 'all men are shit' mantra.

Please
or

Apathyisthenewblah · 19/11/2015 12:00

I'm not sure that it about raising awareness of men's achievements so much as issues men face, particularly around mental health.

Part of feminism to me is consciousness raising about equality. As pp said the patriarchy is problematic for men in terms of class, sexuality, health. Highlighting this does not damage the feminist cause, it furthers it.

So YABU I think.

Please
or

VestalVirgin · 19/11/2015 12:08

Why would men need to draw attention to the fact that they are oppressing each other in patriarchy? I mean, what is the point? They could just stop doing it.
As for celebrating men's achievements ... that's already done on all days of the year.

Something more specific like "prostrate cancer awareness day" would certainly be more beneficial to men, and less insulting to women.

Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 12:12

Yes vestal because they are all one homogenous group in terms of their attitudes and thoughts aren't they?

So gay or transgered men shouldn't bother to campaign then either becasue they are men?

It's also totally inappropriate for other groups to come in and say what they think is ok and what should and should not be highlighted, and at what times!

Please
or

MilkTwoSugarsThanks · 19/11/2015 12:17

DamnBamboo - my original mention of cats a couple of posts in was to highlight the silliness of affording some kind of special snowflake status to IWD, not to belittle IMD.

Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 12:21

Sorry milk my comments weren't directed at your initial mention of it (in which you just stated facts)

Please
or

MilkTwoSugarsThanks · 19/11/2015 12:26

Yeah - but it was my fault the cat comments started!

Grin

Please
or

SuburbanRhonda · 19/11/2015 12:26

Don’t take the piss. That’s discrimination.

You try telling that to Ross Geller Smile

Please
or

VestalVirgin · 19/11/2015 12:33

@Damn: Obviously men are a homogenous group - why else would they need a day for "men" if they are so wildly different from each other?
Note that it is not a day for gay men, or proletarian men (there are specific days for those already), but just "men".

Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 12:37

Don't be obtuse vestal. You maintained that as men, why don't they just stop doing all those naughty things, and be done with it.

As if it's somehow that simple!

Please
or

ZoeTurtle · 19/11/2015 12:44

I really cannot work out if it's genuinely about highlighting male health issues or if it's just a badly disguised MRA thing. I can't find out much about this 'Dad4Kids' group either and if that is more Fathers4Justice...

OP's posts:
Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 12:45

Why does it even matter.
The messaging isn't misogynistic and does in fact higlight gender equality and equal treatment, so why would anybody have a problem with that.

Please
or

ZoeTurtle · 19/11/2015 12:46

The "discrimination" line tipped my thinking towards MRA bollocks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ZoeTurtle · 19/11/2015 12:47

I have a problem with it if it's really about "those evil women taking our kids and trying to get into our golf clubs".

OP's posts:
Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 12:50

But why would you think it is about that?
Why on earth would you think it's 'really about' that.

But you're not projecting negative, unfounded stereotypes at all are you!

Sounds like you could do with a lesson or two about equality yourself.

Please
or

VestalVirgin · 19/11/2015 12:51

@DamnBamboo: It IS that simple, and you are being the obtuse one.

Labour day is NOT about drawing attention to bullying amongst fellow workers at the workplace, if you haven't noticed.

Men are not an oppressed class. They get to celebrate themselves all days of the year. There is no need for a special day for them. They'll only use it as excuse to get drunk. (As is already done with Father's Day, if you haven't noticed)

Please
or

DamnBamboo · 19/11/2015 12:55

It's not about being oppressed vestal!
I don't think that anyone, at any time says that relative to women (which is what you're comparing it to!) says they are.

They'll only use it as excuse to get drunk. (As is already done with Father's Day, if you haven't noticed

Hmm This says it all quite frankly. Because all men get drunk all the time! Oh the irony or your brutally ignorant posts in light of the OP and you don't even see it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.