Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone else scared of what the future holds for this country?

AdamRyan · 23/09/2022 14:10

Trigger warning I guess for news avoiders.

I've been feeling very uneasy since the Brexit vote but it's now tipped into outright terror that a huge catastrophe is coming and I can't see how we can avoid it! Hopefully people can make me feel better....

So:
*energy bills going up and government borrowing obscene amounts of money to cap it

• also paying for the proxy war on Russia
  • also still paying off covid costs
  • companies struggling as not enough staff, lots appear to be on the bare bones and I suspect we'll see bankruptcies soon as they can't meet contractual obligations and have to pay out
  • No plans for fixing staff shortages
  • medicine shortages
  • empty shelves in shops
  • pound is tanking
  • everyone striking as staff can't afford cost of living
  • basic public services (transport, NHS, rubbish, roads etc) unreliable
  • power insufficient - risk of black and brown outs
  • inflation going up so interest rates rising too - increasing pressures on households
  • more people using food banks and more homeless
  • No trade deal with USA, out of EU so not benefitting from preferential energy deals they are negotiating with e.g. Norway
  • Then to top it all off, climate change, droughts, storms, flooding getting increasingly more severe

At the same time, despite spending as if there is a magic money tree, the government is cutting taxes primarily on rich people and refusing to publish the maths so we don't know how much their actions are costing!

I'm genuinely fearful for the future of the country as well as the world! Cheer me up please....
OP's posts:
Please
or

TooBigForMyBoots · 23/09/2022 14:45

The news about the Herpes Simplex virus being used to combat cancer is heartening.🙂

Please
or

akabluebell · 23/09/2022 14:47

Yes, very concerned. This shit show of a government needs ousting.

Please
or

onthefencesitter · 23/09/2022 14:57

Worried.

Posted a thread on this earlier: www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4639881-britain-and-the-us-are-poor-societies-with-some-very-rich-people-average-polish-family-to-be-better-off-than-the-average-uk-family-by-2024-a-far-cry-from-the-time-when-the-uk-was-the-biggest-economy-in-the-world-when-queen-elizabeth-was-crowned?reply=120206004

'Its a similar story in the middle. In 2007, the average UK household was 8 per cent worse off than its peers in north-western Europe, but the deficit has since ballooned to a record 20 per cent. On present trends, the average Slovenian household will be better off than its British counterpart by 2024, and the average Polish family will move ahead before the end of the decade. A country in desperate need of migrant labour may soon have to ask new arrivals to take a pay cut.'

I honestly think we may be like greece or turkey or maybe even morocco in the future. A country with rich culture, beautiful sights and yes lovely palaces with an affable royal family living in it (for the tourists to gawk at) but a country that people would not regard as 'rich'. I don't mean any insult to those countries, they are beautiful places but they are also countries where tourists from 'developed' countries would exercise some caution because they know that they are so much richer and that naturally would attract some 'unwanted attention'. I would not be surprised if one day, there are visas for foreigners to come to do 'volunteer humanitarian work' in the UK to help our poor.

Does that sound insane? I am not so sure, some parts of the north are already poorer than places in Bulgaria.

Please
or

onthefencesitter · 23/09/2022 15:02

AdamRyan · 23/09/2022 14:10

Trigger warning I guess for news avoiders.

I've been feeling very uneasy since the Brexit vote but it's now tipped into outright terror that a huge catastrophe is coming and I can't see how we can avoid it! Hopefully people can make me feel better....

So:
*energy bills going up and government borrowing obscene amounts of money to cap it

• also paying for the proxy war on Russia
  • also still paying off covid costs
  • companies struggling as not enough staff, lots appear to be on the bare bones and I suspect we'll see bankruptcies soon as they can't meet contractual obligations and have to pay out
  • No plans for fixing staff shortages
  • medicine shortages
  • empty shelves in shops
  • pound is tanking
  • everyone striking as staff can't afford cost of living
  • basic public services (transport, NHS, rubbish, roads etc) unreliable
  • power insufficient - risk of black and brown outs
  • inflation going up so interest rates rising too - increasing pressures on households
  • more people using food banks and more homeless
  • No trade deal with USA, out of EU so not benefitting from preferential energy deals they are negotiating with e.g. Norway
  • Then to top it all off, climate change, droughts, storms, flooding getting increasingly more severe

At the same time, despite spending as if there is a magic money tree, the government is cutting taxes primarily on rich people and refusing to publish the maths so we don't know how much their actions are costing!

I'm genuinely fearful for the future of the country as well as the world! Cheer me up please....

I think the UK is performing worse than other countries. I mean the fact that the average British family would be surpassed by the average Polish family by 2024 should tell us that. People used to look down on Polish people in the UK, I think its their turn to look down on us.

my DH and I are in the top 10% in this country in terms of household income; we recently went on holiday to norway and I was shocked at how rich it was. I live in a pretty affluent north london suburb. We found eating out really expensive. And then I thought- what if it wasn't that this was expensive, but that I was poor? Indeed, when we go on holiday, we actually find a lot of places overseas fairly expensive compared to London (and London is the most expensive place in the UK).

Please
or

AdamRyan · 23/09/2022 15:07

Yes. The exchange rate isn't helping either.
We are almost 1:1 on both Euro and Dollar which seems ridiculous.

I'm horrified but all the reporting seems to pretend it isn't happening.

Not remembering the 70s means all the talk of strikes/IMF loans is quite alarming and I can't believe how quickly standards have fallen.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MotherOfPuffling · 23/09/2022 15:09

What really scares me are (a) the state of the NHS, and (b) the government’s proposals re: charter cities. Terrifying.

Please
or

Eve · 23/09/2022 15:14

I got my Irish passport recently but in reality I’m too old to move countries for work but am encouraging my 2 Uni kids to leave UK.

Please
or

onthefencesitter · 23/09/2022 15:16

Eve · 23/09/2022 15:14

I got my Irish passport recently but in reality I’m too old to move countries for work but am encouraging my 2 Uni kids to leave UK.

where would you encourage them to go to?

My MIL has 4 kids all born and bred in London and DH is her only child who has chosen to stay in London (excluding her youngest who has health problems and can't immigrate easily). The rest of her kids have moved to Tel Aviv.

Please
or

Teddeh · 23/09/2022 15:20

also paying for the proxy war on Russia

Not a "news avoider", but also not in the UK. When and how did this happen?

Please
or

Reesewithafork · 23/09/2022 15:23

It's grim. I was thinking of having a second child but I'm seriously considering sticking with one now. I would try to move elsewhere, but where? We looked at NZ but the cost of living is higher there and our jobs aren't those required.

Please
or

TooBigForMyBoots · 23/09/2022 15:41

You are right to feel uneasy @AdamRyan. The UK is fucked. The Pound is fucked. But on the bright side, PM Truss has given the wealthy metropolitan elite the time and opportunity to, to use a much hated MN cliché, "get their ducks in a row" before abandoning the sinking ship in 2years time when the IMF will have to step in.

Are you a member of the wealthy metropolitan elite?

Please
or

AdamRyan · 23/09/2022 15:44

Teddeh · 23/09/2022 15:20

also paying for the proxy war on Russia

Not a "news avoider", but also not in the UK. When and how did this happen?

We are giving Ukraine a lot of financial support to fight Russia. In return Russia are cutting energy supplies. Feels like a war between us and Russia even though on paper it's Ukraine and Russia

I definitely think we should be supporting Ukraine but it must be expensive and I don't know where the money is coming from

OP's posts:
Please
or

KleineDracheKokosnuss · 23/09/2022 15:46

MotherOfPuffling · 23/09/2022 15:09

What really scares me are (a) the state of the NHS, and (b) the government’s proposals re: charter cities. Terrifying.

Charter cities?

Please
or

onthefencesitter · 23/09/2022 15:47

TooBigForMyBoots · 23/09/2022 15:41

You are right to feel uneasy @AdamRyan. The UK is fucked. The Pound is fucked. But on the bright side, PM Truss has given the wealthy metropolitan elite the time and opportunity to, to use a much hated MN cliché, "get their ducks in a row" before abandoning the sinking ship in 2years time when the IMF will have to step in.

Are you a member of the wealthy metropolitan elite?

tbh the beneficiaries of this are more likely to live in surrey or bucks these days.

www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2019/11/uk-income-tax-hotspots/

Please
or

onthefencesitter · 23/09/2022 15:49

KleineDracheKokosnuss · 23/09/2022 15:46

Charter cities?

oh they are wonderful places dreamed up by the tories. they have lower taxes, more relaxed planning permission rules, low regulataion, more sewage in water is allowed etc. They are meant to attract investment.

Please
or

Pyewhacket · 23/09/2022 15:57

If the UK is so shit then leave. There are plenty of trains and aeroplanes heading in all directions.

Please
or

TooBigForMyBoots · 23/09/2022 16:01

What a considered response @Pyewhacket, people should leave the country because the government has destroyed it.🙄

Please
or

onthefencesitter · 23/09/2022 16:06

If the UK is so shit then leave. There are plenty of trains and aeroplanes heading in all directions.

I do think many people will leave. But when you leave a poor country (which the UK is going to be) for greener pastures, that is going to be a very different experience from a Norwegian or a Canadian electing to move to Tokyo or Hongkong.

You wouldn't be leaving because you want to, you would be leaving because thats the only way to feed your children. And the only visa you might qualify for might not allow you to take your children or the cost of living in other countries might be so expensive relative to the UK that you can't take your children. So the UK outside London (which I believe would be more insulated from this) might be a collection of old people and children while the adults work overseas and remit money home.

Please
or

HannahTheBanana · 23/09/2022 16:07

And you can't even easily run away to another country in Europe because we are out. I am TERRIFIED. How can this country protect a young family? Or make our lives easier.... IMPOSSIBLE. Sterling is trading at 1.09!!!!!!

Please
or

Dave20 · 23/09/2022 16:08

Erm ..it’s not so easy anymore- lots of people voted against free movement in a referendum we had a few years ago. Remember?

Please
or

pompomdaisy · 23/09/2022 16:15

Yep we've gone from dangerous and callous to full on dangerous, callous and incompetent now!

Please
or

Pyewhacket · 23/09/2022 16:16

Dave20 · 23/09/2022 16:08

Erm ..it’s not so easy anymore- lots of people voted against free movement in a referendum we had a few years ago. Remember?

By far the top destination of people leaving the UK has always been Australia, by a long long way. And as far as I am concerned they never were part of the EU.

Please
or

Dave20 · 23/09/2022 16:18

It’s rather dire isn’t it? Brexit and covid is certainly connected to the cost of living as it now means we have to pay more to have things transported here. The costs are obviously passed into the retailers who pass it onto us.
Its extremely difficult to get a GP appointment and NHS dentists are near non existent.

We should have invested in domestic energy years ago but this country is so short sighted the government never think long term.

Fewer police officers, doctors, teachers… I could go on.

Yes I think the UK is a failing.

And why would any migrants chose to work and live here when they have a better standard of living in Eastern European countries?

Please
or

Perfect28 · 23/09/2022 16:20

Pyewhacket what are you hoping to achieve here exactly? Are you in support of all the shit things the Tories are doing to our country?

Please
or

Dave20 · 23/09/2022 16:21

Pyewhacket · 23/09/2022 16:16

By far the top destination of people leaving the UK has always been Australia, by a long long way. And as far as I am concerned they never were part of the EU.

Hello? You can’t just turn up in Australia and decide to live there ,last time I checked.
You need to have to fit a particular criteria , depending on your age, occupation and finances.

Plus when you’re over 45, it’s much harder to move to Australia. Not everyone has a job that’s transferable nor has cash to move there.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?