Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Price increases: What food that you bought every week have you now completely stopped buying?

sunnydaytoday0 · 11/09/2022 21:15

I just noticed today that the 250g block of own-brand butter in Tesco has gone up again to £1.99, and this is price matched to Aldi who I assume have also put it up. Think I'll now unfortunately not be buying it at all and switching to cheap spread!

OP's posts:
Please
or

LaMariposa · 11/09/2022 21:18

We used to have salmon nearly every week, quick supper the kids loved.
Now it’s a monthly treat.

Please
or

NoWordForFluffy · 11/09/2022 21:19

Whole chicken. It's rocketed in price so we eat cheaper cuts now.

Please
or

Oopsilot · 11/09/2022 21:19

I know you are asking about food but I’m wondering what to do about toilet roll.
I’ve seen it rise from £7.50 in lockdown for 24 rolls to £8, £8.50 then last week £9.00 and now I’ve just checked and it’s gone up again to £9.30!!

Please
or

PalePurplePumpkin · 11/09/2022 21:20

Steak. We used to get 2 for £7 but now they're £5.58 each.

Please
or

LosttheremoteAGAIN · 11/09/2022 21:21

Steak
it was my treat once a week and it’s shot through the roof
onion crisps-gone from 66p to almost £1.50
ben & jerrys ice cream-I almost fainted when I saw it was nearly £6 a tub (did get a ‘lesser’ flavour for £3.55)
most meat-less food for more money
muller yoghurt-gone from £2.25 to £3 for 6-it’s the only food I can cope with in the mornings and I’m not happy it’s gone up so much

i am paying nearly £4 a box for my fave tea bags-they’ll have to prise them out of my cold,stiff hands

Please
or

bananatuna · 11/09/2022 21:21

sunnydaytoday0 · 11/09/2022 21:15

I just noticed today that the 250g block of own-brand butter in Tesco has gone up again to £1.99, and this is price matched to Aldi who I assume have also put it up. Think I'll now unfortunately not be buying it at all and switching to cheap spread!

I noticed this too. I've softened the butter, mashed it with 200 ml oil then whipped it smooth and put it in a container in the fridge. Cheaper spreadable butter....

Please
or

QuiltedHippo · 11/09/2022 21:23

Chilled orange juice, it's not the biggest rise but I feel I need to cut something out and it's gone up enough for it not to be chucked in a basket without thinking now

Please
or

Whatthetrolley · 11/09/2022 21:23

I know you are asking about food but I’m wondering what to do about toilet roll.
I’ve seen it rise from £7.50 in lockdown for 24 rolls to £8, £8.50 then last week £9.00 and now I’ve just checked and it’s gone up again to £9.30!!

Look in The Food Warehouse/Iceland. I bought 32 Velvet comfort for £11, but then noticed the following week it had gone up to £12, however, if you had an Iceland bonus card (free) it took the price down to £10.

Please
or

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 11/09/2022 21:24

Also butter.
Buy spreadable now, twice as much for about 20% more cost. Shame about the plastic.

Please
or

Indoctro · 11/09/2022 21:25

Filet steak from butchers

Last time I went I was £22 for two bits

Previously I was £14

No more filet steak in this house.

Please
or

Bat3 · 11/09/2022 21:27

Butter too!

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 11/09/2022 21:28

I’ve just started buying cheaper versions, not stopped anything.

Please
or

gaggiagirl · 11/09/2022 21:30

Butter. We get cheap spread now.
Most fresh unprocessed meat. We make do with sausages, corned beef or tinned tuna if we must have meat.
Cheap frozen pizzas for the kids because they now aren't cheap.

Please
or

Mamamia7962 · 11/09/2022 21:35

Haven't stopped buying anything. Shop at Tesco and buy stuff that's on offer. So I'll pay £1.99 for butter but then save by buying something else that's on offer.

Please
or

helpmedate · 11/09/2022 21:37

Meat and fish. I've found myself thinking more about alternatives and cheaper versions, depending on what I'm doing with things. So things like chicken drumsticks and thighs, smoked salmon scraps and ham offcuts to cook with. Liver and onions, very cheap and nutritious. Frozen is often better value than fresh for fish. Adding a handful of lentils to a stew or curry. Buying whatever is on offer or yellow stickered and creating meals around it. Tbh I don't feel deprived and think I will carry on like this even when things get easier and feel I have wasted a lot of money in the past.

Please
or

SwedishDeathCleaner · 11/09/2022 21:41

Prawns and salmon. No more Twinings tea either!

Please
or

Soproudoflionesses · 11/09/2022 21:43

Loo rolls have gone up a lot so will only get nice ones at Xmas lol!

Breakfast cereal

Please
or

RagingWoke · 11/09/2022 21:50

I haven't stopped buying anything but have swapped a lot and use lidl more. I've started reducing meat in evening meals as fresh meat is so expensive and using frozen veg as there was too much waste with fresh. My dc haven't noticed a difference.
We were doing ok for a few years and not thinking about the food bill and have gotten used to just grabbing nice steaks, charcuterie and bottles of wine on a whim but the amount we were spending was horrific when I sat down and looked at outgoings so we've pulled a lot of luxuries back.

@gaggiagirl lidl do a 69p (or there abouts) frozen pizza and my kids love it.

Please
or

EvelynSalt · 11/09/2022 21:54

Free range chicken - now at least £5 for two small breasts. It makes me sad that it's at such a premium when it should be the norm to buy meat from free range animals. As a result, we are pretty much going veggie as I hate the idea of supporting battery farms.

Please
or

Babyroobs · 11/09/2022 21:56

Coop Pizza ( they are nothing special and not their luxury brand) were £6.25 today !! Whole chicken was £5.25 ( not free range or organic). Madness.

Please
or

Kualma · 11/09/2022 22:07

Has anyone tried making their own butter? It’s so cheap. Just buy some double cream

Please
or

TheTurn0fTheScrew · 11/09/2022 22:08

Any meat that isn't mince. We used to have a cut of meat/fish twice weekly. Now we just have fish as I like this too much to give up. I've swapped for mince-based dishes or veggie.

I've always had a weekly sainsburys delivery and done a mid-week top up at Aldi. Since prices have gone up I've tried to shift some of the staples from Sainsburys to Aldi if I have the car with me, so we're probably now getting a third of the weekly shop there instead of just a couple of fresh bits.

And brands we're loyal to (Yorkshire Tea springs to mind) I stockpile slightly when on a decent special offer.

Please
or

tsmainsqueeze · 11/09/2022 22:11

Babyroobs · 11/09/2022 21:56

Coop Pizza ( they are nothing special and not their luxury brand) were £6.25 today !! Whole chicken was £5.25 ( not free range or organic). Madness.

Co -op's prices have been ridiculous for years .

Please
or

katepilar · 11/09/2022 22:12

my toilet roll is now almost double the price it used to be a couple of years ago /not in the UK/.

Please
or

FlamingGoat · 11/09/2022 22:12

Eggs, were 1.65 now 2.05 for 12 and no more lamb or steak anymore.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?