or
to access all these features

flutterby18 · 07/06/2021 21:29

Hi Smile

Please
or

Poppy379 · 08/06/2021 09:37

Hello again! Very pleased to pick up the new thread.

Please
or

Chrissols · 08/06/2021 13:52

Hope it was a bit easier to find this time ☺

OP's posts:
Please
or

flutterby18 · 08/06/2021 13:53

@Gally123 - Would it not be worth you borrowing or buying a cheap phone to use for your holiday. I am going away soon in the UK and I need to have a phone with camera to scan QR codes in hotels and any other buildings I enter etc. I wonder if that is why a phone with a camera is required at Guernsey airport.

You could probably buy a really cheap phone.

Please
or

Gally123 · 08/06/2021 14:01

@flutterby18 - my sister has offered to "lend" me (for Β£10) a phone. I must admit when they mentioned "mobile phone and working camera" I was thinking about two different things - a mobile phone, plus a separate camera, which threw me. I am not very technical and would need lots of practice at switching on and off etc!! I have never heard about having to scan QR codes in hotels. I just envisage having a nightmare time not being able to switch it on or work it or not getting a signal and immigration guards scowling in displeasure at my incompetence.....

Please
or

carosel2 · 08/06/2021 14:06

@Chrissols - yes they have indeed! they were going out for a wedding, the wedding got cancelled but some guests are still going, the venue was at the same place where The Durrells was filmed, but yes they did offer alternatives and to push on to next year. Smile

Please
or

Chrissols · 08/06/2021 14:16

@carosel2 Oh lovely place. We are still hoping to go somewhere in October, but we don't really mind where so we are happy to change nearer the time. Also, with the work I do quarantine when arriving home isn't a problem (hubby is retired). Hopefully things will improve soon with the vaccine programme moving as swiftly as it is, sadly there is a large chunk of people who do not want the vaccine so new cases is unavoidable.

OP's posts:
Please
or

flutterby18 · 08/06/2021 14:23

@Gally123 - The QR codes are for NHS COVID track and trace. When you enter a building ie hotel, restaurant etc you scan the code with the camera on the phone (after downloading the NHS track and trace app) and if yourself or anyone else who has been in the vicinity at the same time test positive you/they can be contacted.

I am in my 60s and find it very easy to use. I would think about it as it would be such a shame to miss your holiday again, as this could be the way things are for a very long time. I am also going by coach and will have to scan the QR code when I arrive at the hotel.

Please
or

carosel2 · 08/06/2021 14:30

@Chrissols - I agree, you just wonder if this is every going to be sorted, I do hope so.
On a plus note, It is glorious weather today, and I'm ditching the rubbish tasks on offer to do jobs around the garden rather than sit in all day for such little return. Wink

Please
or

Gally123 · 09/06/2021 17:28

Aware that I still need to do my tax form soon...I asked HMRC on Twitter (who I follow as it is helpful sometimes - and they do always reply I find).

I asked about info for filling in tax form if SE for English and Irish company (that pays in Euros, if that makes any difference) and the reply (which I had to wait for whilst they looked into it) is as follows:

"Thanks for waiting. If you're self employed and a UK resident, the UK and Irish income will both be included on the self employed page. You would only need to complete a foreign page if Irish tax has been deducted from the Irish income."

So as far as I am concerned no problems and I will continue to transcribe for Tpro and not worry about tax issues (I didn't think it would be a problem but you never know until you ask).

Please
or

carosel2 · 09/06/2021 17:43

@Gally123 - that is brill, thanks for that info! Smile

Please
or

Curlykris · 10/06/2021 15:37

Hi all, into my second month of typing for DICT8 now, so yesterday took the plunge of handing my notice in after 32 years at same hospital! been doing 3 days a week for last 5 years, but so many changes etc decided I could get by working from home, at least until get pension next May! So expect to hear some moans from me re their feedback!

Please
or

Gally123 · 10/06/2021 15:52

@Curlykris - the flexibility is nice, but as you say, there are some downsides...

Please
or

Cherryblossom114 · 11/06/2021 19:39

Hope everyone is well
@Curlykris Kudos to you,
things are different not to mention stressful maybe we are getting old !!! I shielded and did the WFH when it was time to return I just couldnt face it all the faces of the many chiefs !!! Not even with the hybrid arrangements. Decided it was time to jump ship 20 years and take my pension with me. Been with DICT8 2 weeks and not bad going I haven't stop lots on..I will rise above the feedbacks 😱..if only the dictators could decide if the patient is going to be male or female and not change their sex half way through the letter !! 😠

Please
or

Chrissols · 11/06/2021 20:09

@Cherryblossom114 I know what you mean there. I have been WFH for years now and thought I might like to get back into the work setting. Applied back at the hospital, had interview on Wednesday, got offered the job yesterday........made it all very real so very apologetically declined the offer today. I do miss the social side of things, but the managers.........no thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

Curlykris · 11/06/2021 20:13

@Cherryblossom114, I'm on countdown down, 12 days left to do in the hospital πŸ‘πŸΌ. As for DICT8 feedback πŸ™„!!!
I'm sure we've made the right choice, 🀞

Please
or

Cherryblossom114 · 11/06/2021 20:35

@Chrissols
Well done for even making it to the interview. Dont take this the wrong way but did they ran out of family members and friends to give the job to...nepotism rampant at my hospital. Management, say no more. I moved from unit to unit at my hospital hoping to find myself piece and just be able to get on with the work.. too much politics. Interestly my replacement left last week I heard !! And the consultant I coordinated for had a emergency heart surgery for heart attack....and I am not making this up ..
What I will say keep looking you never know you what about a PCT / Gp. you want a management role that way you dont have to do much 🀣

Please
or

Chrissols · 11/06/2021 20:49

@Cherryblossom114 hahaha, very well said. No, I’m just gonna keep doing what I do now, I really enjoy my work, it’s just sometimes it does feel a bit isolated, but for me the pros by far outweigh the cons

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cherryblossom114 · 12/06/2021 12:46

@Curlykris are your colleagues throwing you a retirement party πŸ’ƒπŸ•ΊπŸŽŠ

Please
or

Curlykris · 12/06/2021 12:53

@Cherryblossom114, lol haven't told them yet! I want to depart quietly πŸ˜…, but will definitely celebrate with friends and family πŸ₯³πŸΎπŸ₯΄

Please
or

Cherryblossom114 · 12/06/2021 13:00

@Chrissols there appears to be more office bitchiness than office gossip these days but I am with you on the isolation if only the TV could talk back

Please
or

Meha5a · 14/06/2021 19:37

I had a few interviews last year but having to go back and sit through manual handling, first aid and whatever other courses they can throw at you year in year out put me right off that's one of the reasons why I left my last job.

Please
or

Chrissols · 14/06/2021 20:00

I go through phases where I think I really want to go out to work, but when it becomes real I realise how much I really like what I do

OP's posts:
Please
or

Gally123 · 14/06/2021 20:26

I just think of all the times spent waiting at the bus stop for buses that never arrive, being out in the freezing cold or the pouring rain. Then I think of being able to take time out to sit in the garden like today when the weather is nice, not having to work on birthday if I don't want to, being able to see something special on the TV if I want to (whatever - Olympic games or Wimbledon, Winter Olympics etc), despite the hospital bosses saying staff could watch the Queen Mother's funeral on TV (on the wards in their day rooms etc) my immediate boss called a staff meeting at the exact time and never told us we could see it until it was over, times like that I know I am better off working at home (the immediate boss after various complaints over various issues was sideways moved to a smaller local hospital and effectively demoted).

Please
or

Gally123 · 15/06/2021 20:47

Had to smile this afternoon typing the voice recognition, the Irish dictators normally sign off giving their medical council numbers and you know how towards the very end of the letter they often tend to dictate much quieter and fade away - one chap's number ended with "6" but the VR does not always catch the whole word when it is faint and so it looks like he always ends his letters with a kiss "x"!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.