My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

If you’re nesh af sign in here with your tips for staying warm please

136 replies

MadameButterface · 21/11/2018 21:38

Hi thar i hate winter. This week has marked the official start of my annual six solid months of moaning about how cold i am. I have an underactive thyroid which i am on medication for, but i still seem to feel the cold horribly.

I want your sympathy, comradeship and tips please. My top tips are:
lidl has thermal socks/tops/leggings in the middle aisle, get em while you can;
Those handwarmer sachets from decathlon are good;
Ditto silk glove liners, also decathlon;
Mittens over the above will keep hands warmer than two pairs of gloves;
Fleecy insoles in everything (but i want your top tips for the best superwarm ones please if anyone knows of such, my two for a quid off amazon ones haven’t really been cutting it today)

Seriously, i am so miserable and so totally bored already with ‘fucking hell my feet are cold’ forming 80% of my inner monologue as i go about my day (for reference i was wearinng fleecy lined tights, socks over these and doc martens with aforementioned shit fleecy insoles and the thermostat at work claimed it was 19 degrees, i can’t take six more months of this shit)

OP posts:
BlackBeltInChildWrangling · 22/11/2018 09:32

Nesh is a dialect word, mainly from around the Midlands and North of England and Wales, meaning 'unusually susceptible to cold weather'. In Old English it meant weak, delicate, feeble. It's thought to originate from the Dutch 'nesch', meaning damp, foolish.

Usage could be: 'I'm nesh' ie I'm feeling very cold.
'She's a right nesher, that MadameButterface' ie she's very sensitive to the cold.

Sometimes also used by Hardy Northerners to describe Softy Southerners Grin

BlackBeltInChildWrangling · 22/11/2018 09:46

I've just had a quick look in case I'd got any of that wrong, and noticed there's a similar word 'nish' used in....Newfoundland.

There you go, pp Mountain. Wink

Notquiteagandt · 22/11/2018 15:39

Im the neshest person ever. But since being pregnant I have been a furmace!! So reccomend pregnany Grin

I love my sheep skin slippers. And uniqlo heattech things everything from socks to tights and base layers. They really do help.

I also find that I loose alot of heat from my neck so I have huge blanket scarves that I can snuggle up in.

The food I eat also helps. Slow release warm foods like soup and stews help too.

I also say nesh and from just outside of Chester.

MrsPear · 22/11/2018 16:00

Re cold feet - I wear Merrell Ryeland tall polar boots. Absolute bliss. Fug ugly - h hates them- but I don’t bloody care. If I’m going somewhere naice indoors I change when there.
I also wear lots of layers. Today I’m in a uniqlo long sleeve under top, fine merino v neck sweater and a long length chunky cotton cardigan. My go to coat for day to day is by Regatta this one wool hat and scarf (thanks mil) and gloves.
If somewhere naice ie not park/school run then i have long wool coats.
Oh and wool bed socks too thanks to mil again - yes she knits for me. She also makes me some fab woolly tank tops which I must dig out.

AnotherPidgey · 22/11/2018 16:55

Buffs are great for your neck if you don't want the bulk of a scarf.

It's my nose I have to keep warm. If that's gone cold, I'll struggle to warm up.

Sometimes I need to warm up from within. Layers only trap the heat you're radiating.

Nesh is used in the E Mids. My perma-shorts wearing DS gets people muttering that word a lot Grin

tolerable · 22/11/2018 17:41

rub the backs of your hands round in circles (mine go blue n orange blotchy) cyder vinegar-helps fooking everything.might as well suggest that too...

April2020mom · 22/11/2018 17:43

At home I light candles for warmth at night. Also I have a electric fireplace. I love my electric blanket. When I go out I have a thermal vest and extra clothes. Plus a nice pair of gloves. Hot drinks are heavenly aren’t they this time of year? My mom invested in a electric heater last winter she has it on at night time.

Sugarpiehoneyeye · 22/11/2018 17:59

OP, if you're a young lady, you might not like my advice, but invest in some big pants, you'll feel a lot warmer.

Pasithea · 22/11/2018 18:03

Turtle Doves do the most amazing fingerless gloves I wear on there own or under other gloves. Best things ever.

ICouldBeSomebodyYouKnow · 22/11/2018 18:27

I bought some furry-lined slippers from Tesco recently, for £11.50. My feet have never been so warm, I couldn't believe the impact a proper pair of slippers has made!

Not a great look in an office maybe.

MattMagnolia · 22/11/2018 18:35

It’s my hands which are always cold. I’m out walking dogs in all weathers and juggling gloves, leads, poo bags, balls.
What gloves do scientists in Antarctica wear so they can use their hands without frostbite?

itsboiledeggsagain · 22/11/2018 18:41

I wear a body warmer a lot at home. It helps considerably

Cocolepew · 22/11/2018 18:47

I second wearing a scarf indoors.
Being cold all the time can be due to magnesium deficiency too.

fuckwitsabound · 22/11/2018 19:09

Layers tucked into layers.
Don't have loose clothing as drafts make it worse.
Tuck tops into trousers, into socks
Add more layers so you don't look daft

Helenluvsrob · 22/11/2018 19:24

Tkmaax for sheepskin boots. Cheap enough to use as slippers seek out the actual animal ones and they are pretty much as good as uggs

Uniqlo heattec everything.

Blankets on the sofa. Electric blanket. Hoody to sleep in. My dad wore a “ nightcap” of some sort when it was chilly and I know why now( including memorably the leg off some old tights camping once !

Ohyesiam · 22/11/2018 19:29

Get a kidney warmer! They are a Japanese invention, and basically like a snug little mini skirt, but for your midrif.
They work like a charm.

Onesmallstepforaman · 22/11/2018 19:37

Silver foil under the insole in shoes reflects the heat back up, and the cold down. Merino gloves are thin enough to wear under mitts. Microwave wheat bag from one of the cheap shops.

Jacksback · 22/11/2018 19:40

My
Mum ( now me ) both say nesh I think it’s an old Lancashire word
I have emu boots and slippers ( the forerunners to ugg ) and they are lovely and warm

3luckystars · 22/11/2018 19:40

Sorry the water wasnt still boiling, but it was very hot. I should have said that.

EnidButton · 22/11/2018 19:50

Slipper boots, hot water bottles, teddy bear mattress topper.

I need this thread. My joints didn't want to move today because of the cold and our house with it's supposedly top end ultra modern insulation and construction is utterly shit at holding heat.

haverhill · 22/11/2018 19:56

I love nesh. And peelie-wally.
My top tip is keep your head warm. It makes a huge difference. I shamelessly wear hats indoors if I’m cold. You could get a dainty cashmere one.

SchadenfreudePersonified · 22/11/2018 19:58

Being cold is so miserable. Imagine what it must be like sleeping on the streets in this weather. Bloody awful!

I'm a great believer in umpteen layers, myself. And a hot water bottle - they're not just for bedtime.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

cannycat20 · 22/11/2018 20:00

Lots of people have suggested some of my tips, but here they are:

1. Layers. Lots and lots of layers - preferably raw silk or merino wool base layers or if you don't like that idea, then cotton or nice acrylic. Goes for tops and trousers. And unless you have big thick petticoats underneath made of flannel, I'm not sure this is the weather for skirts. If you don't mind its tendency to shed a bit, chenille is nice and warm as a top layer. Seal in the heat - tuck tops into trousers etc to form a sort of seal.

1. 40 to 60 denier tights and/or fleecy lined leggings under tights.

1. Thermal socks. Possibly 2 pairs. Or more.

1. Uggs or cheap equivalent (I got some from the website where everything is £5 and they're toasty warm with the thermal socks. Even if I do feel like a hobbit in them).

1. Hats. Gloves. Scarves. Wool if you can bear it or thinsulate if not.

1. I also do some work from home, like an earlier poster, and as it's mainly typing and Internet work my hands get really cold. I've learned to do a bit of ironing to warm up.

1. Washing hands regularly in warm water and putting nice handcream on.

1. We recently bought some of those fabulous old stone hot water bottles you used to be able to get - you can now only get them second hand I believe - and there's usually one of those about, wrapped in a teatowel, which I can warm my hands on.

1. Lots of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, hot milk, cocoa - spiced drinks also work well (spiced latte etc) and getting up to go for a bit of a wander around every hour or so as well. Foods - comfort food; shepherd's pie; macaroni cheese; lasagne; chicken curry; goulash; Moroccan lamb; chicken soup; leek & potato soup; spiced butternut squash soup - you get the idea. :)

10. Hot baths. Add a bit of carrier (15 ml grapeseed or sunflower oil or milk will do) and a few drops (not too many, just 4 or 5 in total) of the following nice warming oils: orange; neroli; lemon; lime; cinnamon or cardamom or ginger [be very careful with those, they can have a tendency to burn so only one drop of one of each of them in a bit of milk, I'd suggest]; eucalyptus; cypress; rosemary [contra-indicated, so don't use that last one if you or a family member has epilepsy], geranium, black pepper, lemongrass, myrrh and frankincense if you've got a little more disposable income.

11. We do have the heating on and have draught excluders and blanket hangings at all the doors; we've also found turning the dehumidifiers on also helps a bit with the temperature; but to give you an idea of how nesh I am, despite growing up in the frozen north, I'm still sitting here in 3 layers top and bottom (wool, cotton and chenille), 2 pairs of thermal socks, big fluffy slippers, a dressing gown with a hood, and a shawl over the top of everything. I must look a bit like the washer woman at the ford but I don't care.

I don't like the heat either and almost melted several times in the summer just gone - roll on spring and autumn!!!
DaedricLordSlayer · 22/11/2018 20:13

I use fingerless mitten gloves for work(work outside) which are perfect and better then taking gloves off ever 5 mins to do something. I have a pair of waterproof ones too.

<a class="break-all" href="https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Holders-Women-s-Thermal-2-3-TOG-Converter-Fingerless-Cable-Knit-Gloves/161987947285?ul_ref=rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?type=2&pub=5575403537&toolid=10001&campid=5338343596&item=161987947285&customid=vms%3Aeb%3Ap%3A161987947285%3BCj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29A24TuJ_HzR40Uxc2lv7uqOmMysI0cAeeOmrrZaZJzX4C_2_y1ykgIaAiFVEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29A24TuJ_HzR40Uxc2lv7uqOmMysI0cAeeOmrrZaZJzX4C_2_y1ykgIaAiFVEALw_wcB&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=1752087416562&rvr_ts=3d0940931670ab610336e2c8ffdf0579&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=f79b9e86-3213-4ae3-9b0f-3d4eed30fb59" rel="nofollow noindex" target="_blank">m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Holders-Women-s-Thermal-2-3-TOG-Converter-Fingerless-Cable-Knit-Gloves/161987947285?ul_ref=rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?type=2&pub=5575403537&toolid=10001&campid=5338343596&item=161987947285&customid=vms%3Aeb%3Ap%3A161987947285%3BCj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29A24TuJ_HzR40Uxc2lv7uqOmMysI0cAeeOmrrZaZJzX4C_2_y1ykgIaAiFVEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29A24TuJ_HzR40Uxc2lv7uqOmMysI0cAeeOmrrZaZJzX4C_2_y1ykgIaAiFVEALw_wcB&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=1752087416562&rvr_ts=3d0940931670ab610336e2c8ffdf0579&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=f79b9e86-3213-4ae3-9b0f-3d4eed30fb59

sollyfromsurrey · 22/11/2018 20:16

Your feet are especially cold due to your Hypo. When the body is cold, it moves the heat to the centre of the body to keep vital organs warm. The key to warm feet is not just to put on warmer socks but to increase overall body temperature and improved circulation through exercise. When it's horrible and cold, we just want to snuggle down when actually, going for a brisk walk is better.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.