How to make a show-stopping festive trifle
In this sponsored collaboration with Lidl, Mumsnet blogger Jess serves up a spectacular trifle with a chocolate orange twist.
Super-quick and easy to make without spending a fortune, this is a crowd-pleasing alternative for those averse to traditional Christmas pudding. Second helpings all round.
- One jumbo chocolate Swiss roll
- 105g milk chocolate
- 500g Lidl fresh custard (vanilla bean)
- 400ml double cream
- 250ml mascarpone
- 5g white chocolate
- 5g dark chocolate
- Two oranges, segmented to decorate
- The zest of two oranges
1. Melt 100g of the milk chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Stir through the custard to make a thick chocolate mixture.
2. Whip the cream and mascarpone and add the zest of two oranges.
3. Slice the chocolate Swiss roll into 2cm slices, then place half of the slices on the bottom of the trifle dish.
4. Next, layer half of the custard mixture and half of the whipped cream topping.
5. Repeat layers of Swiss roll, custard and whipped topping.
6. Shave the dark, milk, and white chocolate onto the top layer to add a sprinkle effect, and finish with the segmented oranges.
7. Refrigerate before serving.
Liked this? Try these:
Last updated: over 1 year ago