Talk

Advanced search

The Blanket for FiveGoMadInDorset and her family, lovely folk, we need help.

(197 Posts)
KnottyAndPistey Tue 01-Oct-19 19:23:57

Such sad news from lovely FiveGoMadinDorset, her wonderful DH died towards the end of July from the bastard illness which is cancer. We send so much love to Five and her two wonderful children, aged just 13 and 11. Cancer is so cruel, and we are so sorry they are now without him, we send huge hugs to all who love and miss him. Her thread is here… if anyone would like to post.

FiveGoMadinDorset is one of our brilliant Woolly Hugs’ crew, such a compassionate soul who has helped countless families on here and with our other projects too, it’s time for us to do something woolly for her now. We are so glad she has accepted our offer for a blanket for her and the children. Can you help us? We shall need crafters and donors alike.

Five and their children have had a think of ideas to help make this a real tribute to him, a true celebration, and there's lots we hope folk can tackle, but please don’t feel daunted, simple squares are needed too.

Their ideas...
star The family’s initials are D, S, E and S. But they all called him by his nickname Titch <— could someone do this?
star Titch cooked - they loved his chilli, crumble and roast potatoes.
star His favourite author was Terry Pratchett and his favourite character was Death and his horse Binky.
star The children loved going to see Marvel films and Star Wars with him - loads of themes there hopefully, using the Captain America shield in here is just a suggestion.
star He was also a fan of Good Omens, watching with his daughter E.
star He was a lover of the countryside, loved sitting in the garden watching and listening to the birds and wildlife. He loved pheasants and deer.
star He was a great lover of B movies in the horror channel as well as a history buff.
star His wardrobe tended to be various shades of brown and greens until Five bought him some some FRT’s (fucking red trousers) for his birthday one year, FRT’s being a standing joke between our friends. Hopefully someone can do this for them smile
star Their son would also like to mention that he loved watching Speechless with his dad and if possible could he have a square with JJ’s wheel chair in it.

The Yarn we are Using….
Artesano Superwash Merino DK
Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
Drops Merino Extra Fine DK
Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK
Katia Merino 100% DK
King Cole Luxury Merino DK (new this time)
Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK
Patons Merino Extrafine DK

Colourwise…
Greens
Greys
Blues
Purples (richer, darker ones)

Accents in squares/embellishments
Red, but one of these two please, Drops Merino Extra Fine 11 Red, or Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM6 ‘Ruby’ please
Chocolate brown eg Drops Merino Extra Fine - Dark Brown (09) and Drops Merino Extra Fine - Brown Mix (06) Drops Merino Extra Fine - Light Brown (07)
Taupe - Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM7 Taupe
Yellow please Drops merino extra fine DK no 24 ‘light yellow’
Cream but please one of the following - Debbie Bliss Rialto DK 02 ecru, Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM4 cream, or Drops Merino 01 off white
Black
Orange

Simple or complex, made by beginner or expert, we genuinely welcome them all. It really is the love and thought that counts.

Squares to be six inches, using 4mm needles or hook. Please knot off VERY carefully when finishing or changing colour and sew your ends in, thank you! Previous blankets can be seen on our website If you are new to us and wonder what we are making.

When ready for posting, it will be the Teddington address, if you would like to include a card for FiveGoMad and her family, please do.

Sending so much love to them all

Thank you

Pistey and Knots thanks

SpiralArchitect Tue 01-Oct-19 19:30:24

I can make some squares; will pm.

Sending much love to Five and her DC flowers

SoupDragon Tue 01-Oct-19 19:40:57

If you have any red wool, I can manage some FRT 🤔

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 01-Oct-19 19:45:26

I have sent you a PM. I would love to make a square or two - I could do initials or Titch. I've had a look at my stash and I don't have any of the colours. Could I have some wool please?

TheNinjaGooseIsHooking Tue 01-Oct-19 19:47:47

I'm in, have yarn from you already, thanks. Sending love to Five and her family x

BlueEyeshadow Tue 01-Oct-19 19:49:14

I'm in and have wool.

PiggyPlumPie Tue 01-Oct-19 19:53:20

I'm in, have wool xxx

bookbook Tue 01-Oct-19 19:54:57

Count me in - it will a privilege to make some squares .
I will have a stab at the Captain America shield , and have a think about others
Much love to Five and family flowers

MadisonAvenue Tue 01-Oct-19 19:55:13

I'll make some squares, I'll PM you.

Much love to Five and the children ❤️

Redbrook Tue 01-Oct-19 19:57:42

I’ll do some squares; I have wool.

WhenDoISleep Tue 01-Oct-19 19:59:42

Have sent a PM

MrsJonesAndMe Tue 01-Oct-19 20:02:22

I'm in, have wool. Is there a deadline?

Pauleen Tue 01-Oct-19 20:04:15

I’ll do some but don’t have wool. Or I’ll volunteer to put it together.

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 01-Oct-19 20:05:52

I'm in flowers I will have to check my stash.

I will give Death and Binky some thought. ❤

TeslaGirls Tue 01-Oct-19 20:14:13

I can't knit for toffee but I've actually had the honour of staying with Five and her gorgeous family in the past, such a sad sad loss sad

I'll happily donate if someone tells me how flowers

MrsKCastle Tue 01-Oct-19 20:19:49

I'd like to do a square or two. They'll be quite simple ones, and I have some blue wool already.

Okki Tue 01-Oct-19 20:41:51

I've pm'd.

Much love to Five and her family thanks

Ginisatonic Tue 01-Oct-19 20:56:43

I can do some squares and I have wool.
Hugs to five and her family.

Iwantacampervan Tue 01-Oct-19 21:06:33

I can definitely make some squares - I have the woolyou gve me at the Hugathon (so no excuses, I'll get going!)
Love to Five & family.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Tue 01-Oct-19 21:11:19

I’m a bit snowed under with projects at the moment, but I will do one if I can.

xxxxx

WitchDancer Tue 01-Oct-19 22:09:16

I'm in but will need wool please. I'll pm you Knotty

Impatientwino Tue 01-Oct-19 22:38:28

How terribly, terribly sad. I'd like to send wool to someone if you tell me who.

Much love to 5 and her children thanks

carsleyladiessociety Tue 01-Oct-19 22:52:59

I'm in- I have ordered wool which should be arriving by the weekend

ExpletiveDelighted Tue 01-Oct-19 22:57:02

I'm in flowers

Yiayoula Tue 01-Oct-19 23:02:10

Yes, of course - may I have some wool, please . Will pm K and P.
Love to Five and family flowers x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »