Talk

Advanced search

The Baroness takes on La Leche League

(168 Posts)
CaveMum Wed 02-Dec-20 19:54:00

Yet another fantastic letter from Baroness Nicholson to La Leche League re their stance on “chest feeding”.

twitter.com/baroness_nichol/status/1334210792468717573?s=21

OP’s posts: |
CaveMum Wed 02-Dec-20 19:55:04

Screenshots for those not on Twitter

CoffeeTeaChocolate Wed 02-Dec-20 19:58:43

I thought I couldn’t admire the baroness more...and then she did this...

PaleBlueMoonlight Wed 02-Dec-20 19:59:29

That is wonderful.

LouiseBelchersBunnyEars Wed 02-Dec-20 20:01:23

‘I hope you will take my points as of overwhelming importance for the survival of your British Branch’

Amazing!

Coyoacan Wed 02-Dec-20 20:02:57

She is so good. I wouldn't want to try to win an argument against her.

JamieLeeCurtains Wed 02-Dec-20 20:03:48

Oh that is splendid work. She has a gift for clarity.

DaisiesandButtercups Wed 02-Dec-20 20:17:26

Fantastic letter. Thank you Baroness Nicholson of Winterbourne star

Delphinium20 Wed 02-Dec-20 20:17:48

I wish we had a Baroness Nicholson in my country!!

TinyTroubleMaker Wed 02-Dec-20 20:19:49

Beautifully written

HecatesCats Wed 02-Dec-20 20:21:22

She's very good at this

yourhairiswinterfire Wed 02-Dec-20 20:22:36

She's a wonderful writer, isn't she? Eloquent, just the right amount of stern, to the point.

Brilliant letter. LLL should hang their heads in shame, the utter embarrassment's.

Oblahdeeoblahdoe Wed 02-Dec-20 20:24:58

Wow, she's just fantastic. What a woman halo

Joisanofthedales Wed 02-Dec-20 20:29:04

She is awesome flowers

ANewCreation Wed 02-Dec-20 20:31:17

I love her very careful use of 'male chest liquid' rather than 'milk'.

I found breastfeeding hard and, when I eventually moved to formula, it was all about making sure that my babies were fed and happy and absolutely nothing to do with personal validation...

AnotherEmma Wed 02-Dec-20 20:35:33

YAS. Legend.
This particular issue ("chestfeeding", appropriation of breastfeeding support, etc) really gets on my tits.
Pun intended obvs.

Joisanofthedales Wed 02-Dec-20 20:36:08

Nope that's not enough. She is truly and utterly magnificent. That letter is clear and concise and demonstrates how far La Ledge has fallen.

Joisanofthedales Wed 02-Dec-20 20:36:33

Bigger. La leche

PinkyU Wed 02-Dec-20 20:41:14

I’ve seen this reference before and looked into it as I’d no idea that LLLGB had stopped using “breastfeeding” and started using “chestfeeding”, but that’s not actually what’s happened.

In all, bar none, of their literature they use “breastfeeding”, they have included (not substituted for) “chestfeeding” in their transgender and non binary information. For those who appreciate the inclusion of an alternative name.

I could see the issue if LLLGB had completely annihilated the term breastfeeding but they’ve not, they don’t even include “chestfeeding” in the vast, vast majority of their text, it’s only there if you’ve specifically sought that advice, information or support.

How does this negatively impact you?

SirSamuelVimes Wed 02-Dec-20 20:42:13

I absolutely LOVE her.

PerditaNitt Wed 02-Dec-20 20:42:27

Wonderful letter. Impossible for anyone with an ounce of sanity to disagree with her.

Male chest liquid is really giving me the ick. The thought of feeding it to a baby is horrendous.

CaveMum Wed 02-Dec-20 20:45:53

PinkyU

I’ve seen this reference before and looked into it as I’d no idea that LLLGB had stopped using “breastfeeding” and started using “chestfeeding”, but that’s not actually what’s happened.

In all, bar none, of their literature they use “breastfeeding”, they have included (not substituted for) “chestfeeding” in their transgender and non binary information. For those who appreciate the inclusion of an alternative name.

I could see the issue if LLLGB had completely annihilated the term breastfeeding but they’ve not, they don’t even include “chestfeeding” in the vast, vast majority of their text, it’s only there if you’ve specifically sought that advice, information or support.

It’s not just about the awful term “chest feeding” it’s about the fact that LLL are saying it’s perfectly fine for a male to pump himself full of artificial hormones in order to produce a synthetic “milk” and to feed that to an infant. No consideration for the infant and what effect said drugs might have on them, it’s all about the validation of the male ego.

And then of course there’s the issue of permitting Transwomen to attend breastfeeding support groups for women only.

FamilyOfAliens Wed 02-Dec-20 20:47:33

PinkyU

So you’re saying that it’s ok to talk about natal males “chest feeding” a baby if you only mention it a few times?

PinkyU Wed 02-Dec-20 20:51:17

The protocol used to induce lactation is the same that’s used for adoptive parents, same sex couples, parents seeking to relactate, those who have IGT or have undergone mastectomy’s.

Whilst not ideal (as in anything that requires outside influence in a natural event), it’s not unsafe provided any medications are monitored.

Do you have an issue with all of the above also?

yourhairiswinterfire Wed 02-Dec-20 20:51:35

PinkyU

It's all explained in Baroness Nicholson's letter, did you read it?

It's about males taking a drug that is forbidden for children, to create liquid to feed a baby. A drug that causes heart failure in men. How is that in the best interests of any baby?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in