Talk

Advanced search

List of businesses throwing women under the bus

(133 Posts)
Porseb Fri 12-Jun-20 07:31:40

I couldn't find a thread but seeing that BodyShop tweet to JK Rowling has me incensed and I'm fairly new to this so please can you list any other business that has thrown women under the bus in this whole TWAW issue.

I want to support businesses that recognise that women want to and can have safe spaces, they want their identity to remain (ie they continue to use the words girl, woman in their literature).

So far, from reading posts, I can see:
BodyShop
M&S
John Lewis
Waitrose

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
BringbackLang Fri 12-Jun-20 07:35:52

Flora
Lush

twoHopes Fri 12-Jun-20 07:37:42

TopShop (curtained changing rooms are available "for all customers to use")

HPandTheNeverEndingBedtime Fri 12-Jun-20 07:39:59

Claires - they have a little boy dressed up as a drag queen on their latest ad compaign which is awful for all sorts of reasons

poorbuthappy Fri 12-Jun-20 07:40:34

L'Oreal.

mariwhee Fri 12-Jun-20 07:41:13

Ocado

TARSCOUT Fri 12-Jun-20 07:43:49

Following with interest. I am too old (and uninterested) to go and find out more about the trans debate, people can be what they want I really don't care, so long as its not to the detriment of women and if course men.

twoHopes Fri 12-Jun-20 07:46:55

Starbucks (Mermaids partnership)

PurpleHoodie Fri 12-Jun-20 07:48:03

The ONS has just published its results on the impact of Covid-19 lockdown measures on businesses.

The economy is down by over 20% (!) and the government has borrowed £300 BILLION!

This is monumental.

Businesses are going to NEED our money in the next two years to just get back on track.

However, Get Woke. Go Broke.

DaisiesandButtercups Fri 12-Jun-20 08:01:02

Clue

Coca Cola

Are there any businesses which do support women?

I have read that Center Parcs and Bannatyne gyms do but I don't know of any supermarkets or high street shops/brands.

SirSamuelVimesBlackboardMonito Fri 12-Jun-20 08:04:48

Centre Parcs refuse to clarify their policy on allowing trans women to change in the open plan (no cubicles) female changing area of the spa. A transwoman (no hormones, surgery or GRC) was on here about a year ago crowing about having been allowed to use the women's changing. Phone calls to CP confirmed that they would allow the TW to use the women's area and that any women unhappy would be asked to leave. They have refused to put their policy in writing as far as I know; my multiple emails on the subject have gone unanswered.

GnomeOrMistAndIceGuy Fri 12-Jun-20 08:06:44

This is a helpful thread, thanks!

Lordfrontpaw Fri 12-Jun-20 08:12:26

I’ve got a list somewhere- I’ll dig it out.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 12-Jun-20 08:16:18

Don’t forget the GMB.

Do we add celebs too?

NotAGirl Fri 12-Jun-20 08:55:53

Do we add celebs too

Let's keep this to companies so we all know who to avoid

AbsintheFriends Fri 12-Jun-20 09:15:00

Method cleaning products

PurpleHoodie Fri 12-Jun-20 09:19:07

Method??
What did they do?

Gncq Fri 12-Jun-20 09:23:04

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3935090-Up-to-date-boycott-list

Another list here

AbsintheFriends Fri 12-Jun-20 10:25:07

purple - here's a link.

methodproducts.co.uk

Cleaning - the shitwork women do by default, as unpaid domestic labour or in low status minimum wage jobs - is stunning, brave and glamorous when done by a man wearing satin evening gloves and a pink wig.

mariwhee Fri 12-Jun-20 15:20:10

Urgh seriously? Is this why Method was the only cleaning stuff I could get going into lockdown?

Off my list

PurpleHoodie Fri 12-Jun-20 16:55:30

Absinthe Thanks.

Facepalm

I was going to get a whole new raft of the stuff. Most definitely not now. I'll continue with my Zolflora obsession.

MsTSwift Fri 12-Jun-20 16:57:24

Urban outfitters my teens favourite shop - mixed changing and some word salad sign about respecting any gender etc

Lordfrontpaw Fri 12-Jun-20 17:03:49

any gender. hows about respecting my dignity? But then anyone seeing me prancing around in my underwear will definitely need the eye bleach.

UncleShady Fri 12-Jun-20 17:07:06

Primark also have the unisex changing rooms with tiny curtains, no supervison, long dark corridors (Reading) and not labelled as mixed sex.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 12-Jun-20 17:10:37

Perfect idea. All those teenage girls shopping on a saturday afternoon with their pals, trying on new clothes in mixed sex rooms... what could possibly go wrong?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in