Talk

Advanced search

Yet another abuse of girls scandal in Telford going on for 40 years!

(189 Posts)
rowdywoman1 Sun 11-Mar-18 21:00:01

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-worst-ever-child-grooming-12165527

Up to 1,000 girls repeatedly abused for up to 40 years in Telford. What on earth have the police and other organisations been doing?

WeeMadArthur Sun 11-Mar-18 21:07:32

Historically they have turned a blind eye to anything that happens to girls that don’t fit the ‘nice girl’ type. It’s why the Yorkshire Ripper got away with murder for so long, he started with sex workers so they shrugged and looked the other way. It stinks.

WeeMadArthur Sun 11-Mar-18 21:09:15

It’s a bit like their past (I hope) attitude to rape - it’s only ‘real’ rape if there’s a knife at your throat.

rowdywoman1 Sun 11-Mar-18 21:15:48

Organised abuse has been a high priority for local authorities for well over a decade. It is completely unacceptable that this authority and the police have managed to avoid identifying what was happening and protecting girls. The individual stories are terrible.

SunsetBeetch Sun 11-Mar-18 21:22:00

Absolutely sickening.

SnibbleAgain Sun 11-Mar-18 21:25:26

Oh god.

This is just awful.

The recent thingy into the ?rochdale situaiton said that they believe it is happening across the UK in all major cities and towns.

The scale of abuse of women and girls in this country is just - it's appalling.

This needs sorting properly and not just "lessons learned" case closed.

rowdywoman1 Sun 11-Mar-18 21:33:43

I understand that resources are stretched. But this is just wilful prioritising of everything else rather than the safety of girls and women by those paid to protect the public.

At what stage will people being held to account for this. 40 years!!

Personwithhorse Sun 11-Mar-18 21:37:04

It was I think The Times who first alerted people to this a few years ago - and the usual suspects tried to shout them down for racism. Assume this is the case here as well ....

rowdywoman1 Sun 11-Mar-18 22:36:59

I notice that it's not an important enough story for the BBC to cover.
Nothing on their website that I can find.

LabourLostMe Sun 11-Mar-18 22:52:54

So depressing that this is not headline news everywhere.

I do hope things have changed from 40 years ago, I believe it has in terms of recognising abuse. I was a child in the 80s and twice supported a friend reporting abuse from a parent, once was for violence abuse and the other for sexual abuse. On both occasions nothing seemed to come of it. Both the child and the abusive parent remained in the home. Even as a child it seemed very wrong.

I am stating the obvious, but young boys were abused too, the only common denominator is that the perpetrators are overwhelmingly men.

The abuse seems so widespread that surely every local authority should be independently reviewed. Waiting for vulnerable victims to come forward or for newspaper investigations is not enough to uncover the truth. Rotherham, Rochdale, Oxford and Telford are not isolated and it is not just the perpetrators at fault. Attitudes from the social workers and police were complicit in the abuse (such as referring to children as prostitutes or having 'boyfriends' years older).

Krakauer Sun 11-Mar-18 22:53:59

Fucking Hell, Rowdy! I can't believe this. I went to BBC main news page, no mention of this story, so went to UK news, nothing there, then England, and there's still no mention of it. What is wrong with the BBC?!

rowdywoman1 Sun 11-Mar-18 23:16:43

Krakauer
It is completely awful but obviously of little national importance.

We know about this stuff. Maybe 20 / 30 years ago people didn't recognise it but for the last 10 plus years there's been lots of specific government sanctioned work aimed at the police and local authorities, highlighting the issues including organised groups of abusers, stopping the victim blaming and insisting the LAs had plans to tackle this. I've sat through some of the training and subsequent work in local authorities where everyone had to start working collaboratively. So what happened in Telford?

Cunstancemarkiewicz Mon 12-Mar-18 07:43:18

I've said this here before but a friend of mine spent a couple of years in London as a teenage runaway living in squats in the late 80s. These gangs were around at the time, they'd hang around the bus and train stations looking for vulnerable girls to prey on. My friend was warned about them by the other girls. This was THIRTY years ago and the police were doing nothing.

pisacake Mon 12-Mar-18 08:21:35

Cf. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3078968-Somerset-Police-prosecuted-16-year-old-girl-for-racially-abusing-her-rapist

SpringMayHaveSprung Mon 12-Mar-18 08:28:34

I too was looking for this on the BBC.

I'm trying not to give upon the BBC but they are making it harder and harder.

The Mirror headline was not shown on the Marr show during the newspaper roundup.

SpringMayHaveSprung Mon 12-Mar-18 08:30:29

Telford's not a big place either. The victim numbers look staggering.

SnibbleAgain Mon 12-Mar-18 09:40:14

It's not even on the BBC local news site confused

With all this and #metoo and everything, the lid is being lifted on the reality for so many women and girls in the UK,

So far all we seem to get it "lessons learned" and stuff like releasing one of our most prolific rapists after a derisory amount of time, while the Met try to sue victims, compensation boards refusing victims of CSA who have seen their attackers jailed on the grounds they "consented" etc etc

I really hope we start to see some genuine change here, attitudes across society including our institutions need to change for it to happen.

Shadow666 Mon 12-Mar-18 09:44:05

I thought the Telford stuff came out a few years ago. A female friend stumbled across one of the brothels during unrelated work. They were pretty open about it.

SpringMayHaveSprung Mon 12-Mar-18 09:46:43

There has been an assessment of the extent in a Mirror report. Then the local MP has asked for an enquiry.

Shadow666 Mon 12-Mar-18 09:46:56

Ah, I see. What came out before was the tip of the iceberg.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telford_child_sex_abuse_ring

SpringMayHaveSprung Mon 12-Mar-18 09:48:08

It got picked up by the Guardian an hour ago. Maybe now the BBC will pretend to have just noticed..

cabinbag Mon 12-Mar-18 09:49:18

I don't believe that anyone who has had any past links to children in care and from vulnerable families is even slightly surprised at this. Vulnerable girls have been repeatedly predated upon with tacit approval from police and SS. So few children in children's homes escaped this and so few ended up with out substance abuse problems and being involved in sex work.

sportinguista Mon 12-Mar-18 09:55:03

Having witnessed it myself I know for sure that it is going on in most major cities. Our city hasn't come out with it yet so no idea of numbers in total but I suspect it's a lot. Multiply it across cities/towns and it starts to look truly horrendous. Lives destroyed no way round that.

SpringMayHaveSprung Mon 12-Mar-18 09:57:25

It's so much more of a massive uk story than metoo to be honest, where the media have mostly been content to cluck about Hollywood from afar.

SnibbleAgain Mon 12-Mar-18 10:07:41

I meant the response to #metoo in the UK with loads of women sharing their stories, often around rape or serious abuse,

I really think the lid is coming off,

The stats are something like 1 in 4 women in UK will be raped in lifetime, people never believe that, maybe with all this coming out people will start to believe it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: