Talk

Advanced search

So fat I'm uncomfortable

(139 Posts)
sparklefarts Wed 08-Mar-17 19:13:13

So I'm 5'7 and weigh 16 stone 10.

Its become ridiculous. When I sit down I feel so uncomfortable with my tummy all rolling up, I feel like my insides have no space. I've been bigger than this but didn't feel like this. Anyone else ever feel like there's no space in their body? Mainly around my ribs. I think it's worse when my bras off.

Anywho, I feel stuck. I am struggling so hard to find motivation to shift this.

Hiw do you get motivated?
Relaxing on the sofa with some food is just my favourite thing to do, I'm struggling to find energy to want to do anything else..

Sorry for the rambling, not really sure what I want/expect reply wise. Just felt I needed to say it out loud, maybe it'll shame me into doing something..

Saireyesis Wed 08-Mar-17 19:18:25

That exact feeling was the thing that kicked me into being serious about losing weight. I sat on the floor with me nephew and just felt like I was being suffocated by fat-it was awful.
I'm 5ft7 and weighed 14st 8lb the heaviest I've ever been. I'd tried losing weight myself but decided to join slimming world, turned out this was the best thing for me and I've now lost 3st 7lb and I'm almost at my target. I didn't do any exercise for the first 3 months and once I saw I was losing weight I decided to start running. I now run 5k every second day. Seeing the changes really keeps me going

sparklefarts Wed 08-Mar-17 21:32:00

It's a horrible feeling isn't it.

Congrats on your weight loss! It's motivating to hears others stories x

Saireyesis Wed 08-Mar-17 23:58:57

Yes it's awful, and I didn't want to admit to anyone how bad it was!
The night after feeling like that I stood in my bedroom and took photos on just my underwear (front/side/back) and I was horrified at how huge I was (no one has or will ever see those pictures!) I knew I was fat but seeing the pictures really hammered it home how bad it was and made me cry. That was the week I joined SW. Each stone that's come off I've taken more pictures (standing in the same place and roughly at the same time so the lighting is the same) if I have a wobble or feel rubbish I look at the pictures-I never want to be my starting weight again so seeing it reminds me how it felt and keeps me motivated to keep going.

LisaAlexander Thu 09-Mar-17 13:03:30

Sparkle I'm not sure you can shame yourself into action. You've got to do it for yourself. The scientific truth is that your life is going to be shorter, less fulfilled and less happy like this.

You won't just get up one day and be able to exercise 7 days a week and healthily. You need to build small habits that compound onto each other.

Try one session of exercise a week, and one healthy meal each day for the week.

I have been there! I started doing one yoga class a week, and I would batch cook my lunch on a Sunday so that I could eat the same healthy meal every day.

After a couple weeks, this became 2 healthy meals a day and 2 classes a week.

Then it became a cardio based class and a yoga class.

See the theme...little habits that build on each other.

Think of it like saving money. You can't just save a bunch today and then nothing, and you can't wait for a long time and then just save a tonne. You need to save a little bit every month to get a compound effect.

Why don't you come join my tribe on Flex, we push eachother and keep our collective heads in the game.

Twopeapods Thu 09-Mar-17 13:43:52

Yup. Felt the same and my realisation moment was when I was at the GP for period related symptoms but she completely ignored me and went for the jugular on my weight. I'm only 5.5" and was 15 stone 2lbs. This was the end of January and I'm down 12lbs. She totally fat shamed me.

The GP was horrible but i literally went straight to the shops and bought loads of fruit, veg and healthy snacks. Ive also started exercising and my motivation now is feeling myself getting fitter and enjoying it. I personally don't think you can do it until you are in the right mindset. And I agree with Lisa. Take it slow. I sometimes just put music on and have a dance with the kids to get some exercise.

SailAwayWithMeHoney Thu 09-Mar-17 14:11:32

Hey, I'm a bit late to the party...

I don't know how much I actually weigh but am at the point I can't fit into my clothes, so want to slim down and get healthier.

Verticalvenetianblinds Thu 09-Mar-17 14:24:28

Same height and weight as you, sat on the sofa feeling like a overflowing sausage. No motivation tho, I hate exercise, I'm lazy and love food! I was going to walk to school today but the babies asleep so I'll end up driving but I'm thinking 'oh well, its not my fault, I was going to walk but I can't'
And I've eaten a whole pizza for lunch.

Maybe I'll try the pictures, I don't look in the mirror, I hate my body but food makes me feel better, downwards spiral!

Wolfiefan Thu 09-Mar-17 14:27:08

I was in exactly the same position a few years ago OP.
Eating decent food will help you to feel more energised. Exercise actually makes you feel good and gives you more energy!
Can you start with small changes? Find a form of exercise you enjoy and change your routine so that the thing you look forward to isn't eating

Verticalvenetianblinds Thu 09-Mar-17 14:39:14

I find exercise depresses me. I used to be fit and healthy and when I did a boot camp I came home and cried and hated myself more because i hated who id become.
I'm gonna try walking, maybe in the evening so I don't eat so much snacks.
op what's your plan?

JaneCollier Thu 09-Mar-17 15:04:27

Who had you become?

watermelongun Thu 09-Mar-17 17:14:02

I'd suggest Pilates as a first form of exercise - it's gentle, toning and builds strength without initially feeling like it's too full on. People of all shapes, ages and sizes go to my class.

You also need to build small changes into your life. Baby steps. Going full out strict diet exercise the whole shabang from the off is setting yourself up to fail. How about, say, cutting chocolate or fizzy drinks as a fist step? And upping your water intake. Then build that to aiming for 3 healthy meals a day. You'll find your energy levels increase, and I bet you'll lose some weight within a week or two, which is a great motivator to keep going. Just keep building little habits and changes. It takes on average 30 days of repetition to make a habit stick. And take photos! You'll be amazed in a week, a month, three months, a year how far you've come!

Eminybob Thu 09-Mar-17 17:31:24

I know how you feel too op.

I have gradually put on more and more weight since I had ds 2.5 years ago, and no idea how much I weigh but am a size 16/18.
My belly seems to get in the way of everything, it's uncomfortable, clothes all dig in round the waist and things like leggings roll down. It's awful and I'm really ashamed I've let it get this far.

I've been ttc no2 for the last year so I've been thinking oh it's ok I'll be pregnant soon then I can worry about it after baby is born, but the longer it's taking us to conceive, the fatter I've gotten and now I really don't want to get pregnant while the size I am as I don't know how I'll carry any more weight.
It's looking like no2 might not even happen now so I really really need to kick start some weight loss.

My plan is no wine, (should help ttc too)
No snacks
No seconds
No sweets
No snaffling ds's leftovers
Try and go swimming twice a week.

And if I do get pregnant soon I can carry on doing those things and that should help control my weight gain.

paddypants13 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:19:53

Hello! I'm also the heaviest I have ever been. I'm not sure how much I weigh but I would guess around 16 stone. I had to buy some new trousers for a job interview and they were a size 20. sad

A combination of the implant, anti-ds, laziness, lack of time to exercise, comfort eating and bad habits have got me here. I'm cutting out snacking and have started bike riding. I managed about 5 miles on Sunday but it nearly killed me. blush I've always been plump but fairly fit with it.

sparklefarts Thu 09-Mar-17 19:50:17

Hello!

Thank you all for the replies and so sorry for late response (toddlers been full on!) "

I think you're all right with the small changes suggestions. I've been trying really hard to cut out chocolate this week. So that's my first real aim, to get our if the habit of having chocolate every single day, some days more than once.

I'm going to take some pictures of myself tomorrow and will post them. I think, even if no one ends up reading it, posting my 'journey' on here will be another motivational tool. Anyone want to join me? We can check in and egg each other on.

Thank you all for your support Nd advice, it really is so helpful smile I really appreciate it. X

sparklefarts Thu 09-Mar-17 19:52:39

vertical walks in the evening to avoid one of my main snacking times is one of my plans too. Am going to start next week. When are you starting?

sparklefarts Thu 09-Mar-17 19:53:42

watermelon I'd been thinking about pirates. Shall Google classes near me smile

sparklefarts Thu 09-Mar-17 19:55:23

eminy clothes digging in drives me nuts, when I get home I'm straight in my pj's as I'm so uncomfortable.

That's a good plan, will try to follow it too.

Good luck ttc! Xx

sparklefarts Thu 09-Mar-17 19:56:11

paddy five miles is awesome!!! Well done

Agadooo Thu 09-Mar-17 20:08:42

I'll join you sparkles if you'd like some company-I'm 5'4" and weighed myself 2 weeks ago and was 15 stone 2- heaviest ever and decided I needed to lose weight. Have had no unhealthy stuff for past 2 weeks! No choc or crisps or cheese-all of which I used to eat everyday.

QuimReaper Thu 09-Mar-17 20:19:30

"I'd been thinking about pirates*

grin

Good luck OP flowers

geordiedench Thu 09-Mar-17 20:34:12

I really like LisaAlexander's advice. Take small steps and establish them as habits. Then once they're second nature, add another.

Like you, OP, I totally fail at the motivation. I love food, and living in a house with a 6'2" DH and two teenage boys means there's always a constant supply of biscuits and crisps (I never buy them, DH does, and if I ask him to stop, DC bulk buy from the pound store, as all their friends do. So unhealthy.) I'm tired of being fat but however healthily I start each day, by 4pm I've hit the sugar or carbs.

I also took some pics of myself recently. Oh the back view! So depressing. But even that hasn't motivated me. Can't even manage two diet days on the trot. I really want to change habits and know I don't like deprivation, so the only way I can imagine it working is by doing what LisaAlexander suggests and sort of sneaking up on myself. I'll join you in doing that if you fancy it.

sparklefarts Fri 10-Mar-17 12:24:29

agadoo I'd love company grin

quim hahaha pirate, Whoops!

sparklefarts Fri 10-Mar-17 12:25:37

geordie I'm the same I manage one day and the next just screw it all up. Sigh.

sparklefarts Fri 10-Mar-17 12:26:46

Well here goes. I'm not doing a back pic as due to a tattoo and scar its hugely identifying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now