Talk

Advanced search

Further Back in time for Dinner!

(303 Posts)
Akire Tue 24-Jan-17 20:01:00

With the Robshaws!! Something to watch on a Tuesday hooray.

Akire Tue 24-Jan-17 20:01:18

Starts tonight 9pm BBC 2

fourquenelles Tue 24-Jan-17 21:58:48

I have the meat sweats just from watching! Fascinating social history.

woodhill Tue 24-Jan-17 21:59:51

Loved this

CremeEggThief Tue 24-Jan-17 22:01:10

Very interesting, but I had to look away at several times, as a vegetarian smile. They soon got used to ringing that bell for poor Debbie too!

meatloaf Tue 24-Jan-17 22:02:22

How did I not know this was on!
I love this program.

LBOCS2 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:04:34

Oh no, I missed it! I assume it'll be on on demand...

5foot5 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:05:25

Very very good.

Debbie is lovely, an absolute star. I hope she is in the later episodes.

All that food though, how did they squeeze into their corsets?

Akire Tue 24-Jan-17 23:05:32

I was suprised at the these days most people spend far less than 10% of income on food. I must be very poor then I spend far more than that!

I felt bad for the maid given The mum was dying trying cook and clean and wash up, do the laundry in 1940s not sure how she would have had the time to cook never mind anything else.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 24-Jan-17 23:12:20

Love this. Always good to see what they ate in the Olden days 😂

NormaSmuff Wed 25-Jan-17 06:54:54

That was great.
Debbie the cook looked very young to be such an accomplished cook. I missed the beginning.

NancyDonahue Wed 25-Jan-17 08:17:02

I was surprised to see the same family again. They've already done two of these I think. The food thing got a bit boring, would have been good to see more of how they lived during that time.. but I guess the clue is in the title!

Does anyone remember The 1900 house? They actually properly lived in the era, down to having no detergents at all and wearing corsets and rags as sanitary protection.

ppeatfruit Wed 25-Jan-17 09:29:03

Yes Nancy I do remember the 1900 House, it was better but of course it wasn't JUST about eating!

I thought it was odd that a 12 year old would have been given purees . Porridge is better than lamb chops for breakfast though!

Once again the Robshaws are being used. It would be nice to see a different family.

I liked the maid though she was a damn sight better cook than the students of catering on master chef!! She deserved a huge round of applause after that 8 course meal.

Cedilla Wed 25-Jan-17 11:35:51

Very entertaining - but I had to shout at the telly when Giles Coren kept saying poor Debbie was a 'maid-of-all- works'. The correct term was 'maid-of-all- work'! OK, only a small thing, but the raging pedant in me always then wonders what else they've got wrong....

gruffaloshmuffalo Wed 25-Jan-17 11:42:44

I still fancy Giles Coren, which made me enjoy the show more

I like this programme a lot - though Rochelle does irritate me somewhat - I want to tell her to straighten up and pull her shoulders back.

I will try most foods once - but I think I would have had to force myself to try scrambled egg brains!

5foot5 Wed 25-Jan-17 13:09:41

Yes Nancy I do remember the 1900 House, it was better but of course it wasn't JUST about eating!

I remember the 1900 House too, in fact I think I even have the book somewhere. However, I remember being rather irritated by that one because the family didn't really throw themselves in to it properly and spent a great deal of time whinging abut the food. IIRC they were vegetarian so found it very hard. But FFS, I have nothing against vegetarianism but why put yourself forward for something like that show when you are clearly going to struggle with the food.

Once again the Robshaws are being used. It would be nice to see a different family.

I imagine they are back by popular demand. In the previous "Back in time.." series they used a different family who were actually very nice and fun to watch. However, I don't think they were as well liked as the Robshaws.

LBOCS2 Wed 25-Jan-17 14:09:39

I like this programme a lot - though Rochelle does irritate me somewhat - I want to tell her to straighten up and pull her shoulders back.

Yes! It makes me feel a bit mean but her posture makes me cross. She'd look so much more confident and I worry for her back 😳

NormaSmuff Wed 25-Jan-17 18:50:17

Rochelle has a problem with her spine.

i do like this family,
loved the marathon with the added alcohol grin

Clawdy Wed 25-Jan-17 20:49:36

I love the Robshaws. Didn't find the other family half as much fun, and I was so pleased to see them back.

diddl Wed 25-Jan-17 21:01:07

Loved it!

Did the son join them for almost no meals?

I thought only he wasn't to be at formal meals?

Would he have spent so much time in the kitchen?

Surely when they were all sewing in the parlour he would have been in there with a book or game or something?

Also confused about Brandon hardly working-they weren't living off an inheritane, were they??

diddl Wed 25-Jan-17 21:19:26

I did love the service that they used for the dinner party.

Seen it other programmes. Can't remember what it's called though.

ppeatfruit Thu 26-Jan-17 10:26:08

5foot5 Ref. 1900 house. That family were moany but apparently vegetarianism then (like not wearing corsets) was becoming a little fashionable with the UMC ,not many though!!

I like the males of the Robshaws but the wife does moan a lot too. SHE wasn't going to eat the brains was she? The girls have always seemed a bit insipid.

Clawdy Thu 26-Jan-17 19:47:44

I think the Robshaw girls are great - always giggling and enjoying everything, and Rochelle may have the odd moan but she has a great sense of humour.

Akire Thu 26-Jan-17 20:54:13

They are very brave, right we need you to dress up and go walk in packed park. Ok no problem! Normally kids woulnt be seen dead with parents in wrong trainers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now