Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

GCSEs 2018 (13) Untwisting our knickers, lucky for some!

(1000 Posts)
Stickerrocks Tue 12-Jun-18 16:17:55

Thread 12 Link to the thread with our potted histories. Now the end is in sight.

sandybayley Tue 12-Jun-18 16:22:09

Well done @Stickerrocks!

Stickerrocks Tue 12-Jun-18 16:23:00

With thanks to Peggy for inspiring the title. Now, who is doing the Register?

calzone Tue 12-Jun-18 16:25:48

Found you......

Maths was good.

History was haaaaaaard.

TheThirdOfHerName Tue 12-Jun-18 16:26:03

Thank you Stickerrocks for the new thread.

I'm not feeling well (headache, dizziness, vertigo, slightly blurred vision, extreme fatigue) - couldn't function at work and had to come home and go to bed.

Now worrying that I may have a virus, in which case I've probably already passed it on to DS1 (exams tomorrow and Thursday) or DS2 (Chemistry and Physics still to go this week).

Cherryburn Tue 12-Jun-18 16:30:00

Thanks for the new thread stickerrocks

Hope you feel better soon TheThird. Try not to worry about having passed it on-you may well not have done.

EdwinaLIzzard Tue 12-Jun-18 16:32:07

Thank you for the new thread Stickerrocks

The stats from Mmzz and Noble made for very interesting reading, I also didn't know that the examiners look at the core questions in maths that cut across both the Higher and Foundation papers, although I guess it does make sense.

Lots of Chemistry revision here, and DD has decided that she will finish at 6pm, have a shower and then watch a Harry Potter film for relaxation, but will also take her Chemistry notes to bed for a final read through ...... and hopefully everything will be absorbed into her subconscious!

EdwinaLIzzard Tue 12-Jun-18 16:33:35

Hope you are feeling better TheThird, that does sound like a nasty virus and fingers crossed your exam taking DCs manage to avoid it

ReservoirDogs Tue 12-Jun-18 16:35:34

Hi everyone - I am here too smile The end is in sight (next Monday for DS)

Stickerrocks Tue 12-Jun-18 16:41:09

TheThird sounds like a very good reason to tuck yourself away in splendid isolation and let the DC manage without you. Don't start to worry, they will be fine.

TerfTerfTerf Tue 12-Jun-18 16:50:36

I'm here grin
DS is eating Pringles in bed with Netflix. Chemistry revision has been discussed....

EllenJanethickerknickers Tue 12-Jun-18 16:56:58

I've found you.

DS3 is doing some chemistry revision. He's got to 75% on Tassomai for paper 2 Chemistry and he's about the same for Physics. Definitely flagging a bit now.

I had a chat with a chemistry teacher at work today who agrees with me that DS should be taking physics with his maths, FM and CS rather than chemistry. The more I tell him, though, the more he's determined to do chemistry. Sigh.

mmzz Tue 12-Jun-18 16:57:51

Hope there are no mistakes!

mmzz Tue 12-Jun-18 16:59:49

Science grade 9 is 0.42% (it just rounds to 0)

EllenJanethickerknickers Tue 12-Jun-18 17:08:45

Wow, that does put a different perspective on the sciences. Some local schools don't offer triple science at all but students still go on to A level and make vets and doctors etc. I was under the impression that the majority of students did combined science. DS3's school have two sets doing triple science and 7 doing combined.

EllenJanethickerknickers Tue 12-Jun-18 17:11:00

I suppose if even just the top set did triple, all the 9s would be there, and maybe most of the 8s.

Oratory1 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:13:23

Hi all
Realisation setting in the chemistry is the subject he has revised the least for. Desperately trying to cover some topics now but running on empty too so I don’t know how much will go in - oh well I’d like him to please the lovely teacher (who taught both Dd and ds for all 5 years) but other than that it won’t really matter.

EdwinaLIzzard Tue 12-Jun-18 17:16:32

Thank you so much for this Mmzz and if I am reading the table correctly, just over half of all DC who sit the combined science GSCE will fail, i.e. achieve a Grade 1-3 - I am shocked

I absolutely understand that the more able DC will be taking the triple but even so, what does that statistic say about our education system.

I speak as a parent of a child who is taking Combined Science and DD does find it challenging, and we are hoping for a pass, but I am now worried!

Are there any stats about the proportion of DC who take the triple V combined / double?? It just seems incredible that such a huge proportion will leave school having failed science ...... am I too sheltered and naive??

Oratory1 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:16:51

Ooh good luck thethird - hopefully even if you do pass it on they will get the last few exams out of the way before it sets in.

BlueBelle123 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:29:29

Thanks for the new thread Stickerrocks

thethird I was ill last week with a sickness bug but no-one has come down with it, so try not to stress about it too much (unlike me last week!!) I would recommend keeping your distance as much as possible and get the children to constantly wash their hands!!

Maths Edexcel was fine as was history....no surprise there then hmm

goodbyestranger Tue 12-Jun-18 17:29:45

Edexcel maths today was good (ie ok) and edexcel history also good (ie ok). Definitely not in the maths category of being conscious of only one mark lost!!!! These figures are really interesting but I'm amazed at some of the things they seem to throw up. Chemistry tomorrow, Physics Friday and last exam is Ad maths on Tuesday which I think we'd both much prefer DD wasn't taking (they weren't given it as an option - it was compulsory).

Cblue Tue 12-Jun-18 17:31:55

Combined science - is it because a higher proportion of the cohort aren’t interested/are less able in science but the government insists that everyone should take science at this level regardless?
Whereas triple science tends to be taken by DC that are good at science anyway.

Don’t think you should be worried though -challenging implies not as likely to get a 8-9 but does that matter?

Hopefully no one takes this the wrong way but there are quite few SEN schools with pupils who have challenging learning difficulties that take this exam too. No disrespect to SEN students at all, many of them can be highly intelligent or even gifted (my DDs Dyslexic smile).

So in essence don’t panic (says the woman who has spent the last month panicking!!!)

JufusMum Tue 12-Jun-18 17:38:42

My DD was top set Science and given the option of Triple or Combined. She chose combined as she was told it's slightly less work and all of her A-Level choices are Humanities based so it would have made no difference to her doing Triple. She did it so she could concentrate on her Humanities subjects.

Sostenueto Tue 12-Jun-18 17:39:19

I'm here! Can't believe we filled up so quick! (Quickly adjusts underwear) thanks stickerocksflowers

TerfTerfTerf Tue 12-Jun-18 17:42:04

Is that figure for the "trilogy" suite or the "synergy"? It seems awfully low considering that plenty of students want to take science A levels but go to a school that doesn't offer triple science. Or am I looking at this wrong? (Very likely smile)

This thread is not accepting new messages.