Talk

Advanced search

The Lyceum School, London - updates?

(19 Posts)
NotTheMomma1 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:03:45

Hi all, our little daughter might start at the Lyceum School in 2018. I understand some changes have taken place in the last couple of years, with Minerva taking over and key people leaving. Somebody also told me that the big renovation they were planning initially is now off. What is the situation like at the Lyceum School right now? Are parents with kids going here generally happy with the school? Any advice is much appreciated. smile Thank you

CatLadyInTraining Fri 24-Nov-17 14:51:19

Bumping as we are also looking at this school. Anyone?

SRB36 Sat 25-Nov-17 18:01:14

Any news anyone? My Son has a place to start in 2019 . I had hoped the plans to expand the school would go ahead. I wonder why it has been rejected.

TypeAMum Tue 06-Mar-18 21:11:52

I am also looking at this school for 2018. Visited the school today and the kids generally seemed happy and content but obviously that was just a first impression. Would love to know from parents whose kids are still studying there. Can anyone advise please?

FreeSpiritWithin Mon 26-Mar-18 23:16:53

Bump - DS got an offer to start in September this year. I'm worried I can't find any reliable reviews for Lyceum after the changes took place.

SRB36 Mon 02-Apr-18 20:01:13

Hi NotTheMomma1, did you send your daughter to The Lyceum? If so, is she happy? How is the school?

FreeSpiritWithin Sun 29-Apr-18 09:59:41

Hi Lyceum mums - any advice at all? Going for Open Day on Tuesday next week.

FreeSpiritWithin Sun 13-May-18 22:10:51

Went for the Lyceum viewing and just to provide an update to anyone interested, didnt like it at all. I cant imagine sending my kid to a school which holds its classes in the basement with no natural light!! Abd the classrooms are open planned which to me seemed bizzare as Im sure it must be distracting for the kids to be able to see and hear whats happening in the next classroom. Also I quized the head about the school's leaver's destination and she was extremely vague. So its a definite no no for me.

schoolworrier Sun 13-May-18 23:01:40

Hi @FreeSpiritWithin I had similar feelings after my visit. Which other schools are you considering for your DC if you don't mind me asking?

FreeSpiritWithin Mon 11-Jun-18 22:08:17

Hi schoolworrier we finally chose Falcon Boys Pre Prep after viewing a lot of schools. I was so amazed with the kids at Falcons and the teachers that I was extremely happy to decide on it. My DS starts this Sept.

NotTheMomma1 Sun 11-Nov-18 10:22:17

Hi, it seems the Lyceum is moving to a new building (natural light included) next year. And a new head teacher is starting in January. So a lot of change. It would still be good to hear from parents that have kids going to the Lyceum now.

NotTheMomma1 Sun 11-Nov-18 10:29:29

Sorry I pressed post too soon. I meant to say it would be good to hear from parents that have kids currently going to the Lyceum. Thanks in advance!

threekeys Tue 01-Jan-19 21:52:31

Hello, current Lyceum parent here! There are lots of reasons to be excited about the Lyceum at the moment. First of all, the new headteacher already started in October 2018 and has successfully introduced numerous changes to the school, not only the academic part of the curriculum but also more competitive sports, a house system that rewards a variety of positive contributions and a bit more structure (but not too much, if you know what I mean). Generally, parents and children are very happy with the recent changes. The move to a new five-storey building around the corner is a big plus for the children and staff. When my child started at the school I too was concerned about the basement setting. But two things out my mind at ease: first, I spoke to a relative who is a retired teacher / counsellor, and she told me that at this age, the most important aspects of school life are the teachers, and the other children. The so called 'green grass schools' with their massive grounds and beautiful buildings definitely appeal to parents, but it isn't what engages the children - it's much more important to look at the quality of teaching itself, and the Lyceum is blessed with some truly amazing teachers!! Second, I spoke to a number of current students and parents and found that the Lyceum community has a truly family-like atmosphere. The children seemed happy, there was generally a lot of support and it didn't feel overly competitive. We are all excited about the new building, but hope that the Lyceum ethos will not be diluted because of it - I'm pretty sure we can preserve it. Any other questions, please ask - very happy to help wherever I can!

threekeys Tue 01-Jan-19 21:58:41

PS. Maybe just to add, if your child is a happy all-rounder, is quite arty and shows interest in a wide range of topics, the Lyceum might just be the perfect choice for you. Yes, the central London location doesn't lend itself well to sports, that is a big downside. That being said, the school is doing its best to incorporate PE into the weekly schedule by taking the kids swimming to nearby Golden Lane leisure centre, football and hockey in Artillery Grounds etc. The new building is likely to have a dedicated art/drama room and the creative side of school life is likely to be further enhanced. Also the holistic, topic-based learning is a good way to get young children to develop independent thinking and research skills and "learning to learn" . Sorry, another long post but here's my contribution!

NotTheMomma1 Sun 06-Jan-19 14:38:05

Dear threekeys, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. To be honest it was quite a relief to find out that the school is now moving as it was a bugbear of mine. The building looks amazing from the outside! It is also great to hear from a current parent that parents and kids are happy about the new headteacher and recent changes. September is now basically around the corner and my daughter (and I) cannot wait. In the end I am quite happy with our decision to register her at Lyceum smile

threekeys Fri 11-Jan-19 22:05:07

@NotTheMomma1, I'm glad I could be of (some) help. Please feel free to ask any questions about the school, I'm always happy to answer any queries people might have - it's such an important and difficult decision! We look forward to welcoming your family at the Lyceum smile

Bizzy2011 Fri 01-Feb-19 21:05:52

Lyceum mum number 2 here. No idea who 3 keys is but I’d second her wholeheatedyly.
One other thing I’d add. Unlike a lot of London schools The Lyceum is super supportive of working parents and provides excellent after school options. I can’t recommend highly enough!

bmbmad Sun 03-Feb-19 11:12:14

Lyceum mum number 3: I have two children at The Lyceum and have been part of the school for many years. I fully agree that the school is now in good shape. The last three years have been very difficult and the amount of churn of staff was worrying (particularly for year 6 teachers). But the teachers that we have now are amazing and I trust the school will be able to retain them. The new head is great and fully committed to making The Lyceum the best school in the area and with the new building and the the changes that are being implemented, I know she can. Ironically, I worried about the building as well when I first started at the Lyceum but this became the least of my worries over time - children are happy there and being in a basement doesn't seem to be a problem for them - although they are super excited about the new building :-) Six months ago I wouldn't have recommended The Lyceum to anyone, but I now have no hesitation. Good luck threekeys and everyone else- I hope you can get a place.

AWEB Wed 13-Feb-19 20:56:12

Lyceum mum 4: our daughter started on nursery in September 2018; had some reservations, but we’ve fallen on our feet...a super new head mistress, new building this year, revamp of curriculum and our daughter is really happy. Having been through the UK prep and private system myself...I’m really happy with the Lyceum. The staff are excellent, we’re both working parents and wrap around care is great, constructive and regular interaction and feedback from teachers and our daughter settled straight in. I was quickly reassured and increasingly impressed with the small but important changes. Good luck and I hope you get a place!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: