Talk

Advanced search

TTC number 2

(602 Posts)
Explorers10 Sun 24-Mar-19 14:19:53

Is it me or does number 2 seem to take longer to conceive?

Chips4dinneragain Sun 24-Mar-19 18:01:08

Same here, DD conceived first cycle, currently on cycle 5 of properly 'trying' but have been NTNP since Sept 2017. Managed to convince myself that NTNP doesn't coun when you have a toddler (because realistically how regularly do you spontaneously DTD at this point?!?), but getting a bit twitchy as I approach the 6 month mark of officially trying as I know that's the point at which most couples have conceived by. Also running out 'fixes' such as timing of sex, OPKs, supplements etc and starting to resign myself to the reality that it is basically luck of the draw.

Explorers10 Sun 24-Mar-19 18:15:00

I’m also on cycle 5. Also conceived my DD first try. Wishing I started trying earlier. Age 34. Really trying to convince myself each cycle is another go and fresh start but really hard. Starting to beat myself up about it and wishing I started trying earlier. How do you stay positive?

sassenach84 Sun 24-Mar-19 18:43:16

Same here ladies. Now on cycle 6 month and nothing - DD was first cycle and born Sept 2017. I’m still breastfeeding her and wonder if that could impact fertility even though my cycles started 6 months ago and according to OPKs I’m ovulating each month. Turning 35 this year... hmmangry

Chips4dinneragain Sun 24-Mar-19 20:04:10

Im also 34 and wishing I'd started trying for no2 earlier, just presumed it would be as easy the second time round. I always have a little burst of positivity at the start of a cycle but by about 4 DPO it starts waning, so feeling very up and down. I think by the time AF rocks up im usually just relived to have an answer, the TWW drives me insane constantly wondering if this is my lucky month. So draining.

sassenach I think even if your cycles have returned your prolactin could be suppressing your progesterone levels, so might not be a 'strong' ovulation? I didn't have a period at all for the 2 years I breastfed DD, but they came back the day after I stopped and took a while to regulate, although they are very different to how they were before I was pregnant.

sassenach84 Mon 25-Mar-19 15:12:05

Sounds like we're all in the same boat then! How old are your little ones?

Ok thanks for the thought on prolactin. I'd been googling about BF and ovulation but kept getting results saying if cycles have returned then you're good to go. TBH I wouldn't mind stopping BF but the little monster just won't give up!

I'm thinking I might go get some bloods done at the GP. I'm also sending hubby to get checked - luckily he's keen. I think his confidence has taken a knock after the first cycle success last time round.

isntthatalwaystheway Mon 25-Mar-19 15:29:37

Same! So fed up of thinking every month is the one sadOn our 8th cycle here and just turned 35. DC was conceived very quick after a MC but we are struggling this time round!
Invested in the Clearblue ovulation testing kit this Morning as wasn't sure the internet cheapys were accurate, given up on Flo app as the ovulation dates really seem off to Me!

Chips4dinneragain Mon 25-Mar-19 15:57:19

DD is 3.5 and all of a sudden really keen for a sibling after 2 years of stating clearly that she did not want a brother or sister. This is making me feel the pressure more than anything else!

isn'that I've been seriously considering the clear blue fertility monitor, but the ICs have been consistently positive for me around CD12 and I figure as long as its a ball park date it shouldn't matter too much, provided you DTD regularly around it. I gave up on OPKs last month in a failed bid to 'relax', however I just obsessed other the date of ovulation which stressed me out even more, so this month I'm back on them!

I'm CD 8 today so going into the FW, we definitely haven't been DTD enough so intending to try harder this cycle....

Bigonesmallone3 Mon 25-Mar-19 15:58:37

Took me longer, and then longer again for no 3

isntthatalwaystheway Mon 25-Mar-19 17:04:53

@Chips4dinneragain Trying to relax is the hardest, isn't it? Every Cycle I tell myself I'm going to take it easy this time, dtd for fun not just purpose, have a small glass of wine, blah blah blah.. But I never do! I even went to the Doctors this Morning as I suffer from an under active thyroid so wondered if that was a negative factor. Turns out it's not, and after a full health check I'm in a great place to conceive apparently waaaah confused

Chips4dinneragain Mon 25-Mar-19 17:42:38

Yeah I don't think Ive ever managed to relax about anything to be honest so don't think I'm going to do it with it with TTC!

at least you've ruled the thyroid issue out, one less thing to fret over!

Chips4dinneragain Mon 25-Mar-19 17:47:58

sassenach I know what you mean about confidence, DH was the same when it didn't happen first time after it being so easy TTC no.1. But my gut feeling is the issue is probably with me, my cycles are so different now that I can't help but think my hormones have gone batshit

sassenach84 Mon 25-Mar-19 18:27:44

Chips4dinneragain Have you thought about when** you might get any tests done? I figured I might as well just get some initial bloods done now just to check.

My cycles are pretty much the same as before so no difference there. Apart from being a couple of years older and BF. DH changed jobs a year ago and we moved to a new country so he's probably still a bit stressed. Could be a matter of lifestyle - exercise more, eat more healthy... but I don't think there's been any real change to a few years ago. So beats me really!

Gettingonabitnow Mon 25-Mar-19 18:29:54

Oh god! Just reading this on cycle one of ttc number 2. DD conceived first cycle but it hasn’t happened first time for us either. Even though DH did think he had ‘super sperm’ from conceiving DD...rolls eyes.

Explorers10 Mon 25-Mar-19 18:33:49

It’s such a shock isn’t it when it doesn’t happen first time. I immediately thought something was wrong with me and got quickly anxious and thinks it’s impacted me each cycle. Thanks everyone for replying to my original post, been feeling so down but know I have to pick myself up and just keep trying. Really hope we all get our BFPs soon

sassenach84 Mon 25-Mar-19 18:40:31

They all think they have super sperm don't they! What is it about men!? I don't hear any women talking of super eggs grin

Explorer hang in there! I'm trying to focus on spending quality time with my girl. Although I'd love a small age gap, at the same time it gives us more one-on-one time. I have a few friends with 2 under 2 and it looks like a lot of work! The older DD will be when baby no 2 comes around, the more independent she'll be. Or that's what I'm hoping!

Explorers10 Mon 25-Mar-19 19:24:44

@sassenach84 thank you will try to hang in there. It’s nice that I’m not alone in this but I wish all of us were not in this situation! I agree having 2 close together is hard work & have seen others struggle with it. It’s true the more of an age gap the more independent they are. I’m finding it easier now with my DD being 2 years & 8 months & yep appreciating her more each day and counting my blessings I’ve at least got 1. Good luck everyone for number 2

MouseBatMummy Mon 25-Mar-19 20:00:22

Hi all

I have one DD 3 who we conceived pretty easily/quickly. I wanted a small gap and have been unsuccessfully ttc no 2 for the last 2.5 years. It's been tough going tbh. All my friends have had their second babies and here am I still trying. I'm also 34. I've had bloods and an ultrasound and my husband has been checked and all five there. We are waiting for next test on me which will be the due test to check my tubes I believe. I did end up having a c section with DD after a failed induction and there is a lot of research about women struggling to conceive after a section. Maybe we've just been unlucky, who knows.

Anyway, wishing you all luck and hopefully you won't take as long as we have/are.

isntthatalwaystheway Tue 26-Mar-19 06:58:07

Hi @MouseBatMummy, I'm sorry to hear you're also struggling. Likewise all of my friends are now on there second pregnancies, with every month that passes I'm conscious of a bigger age gap between DCsad I too had an Emergency CSection, I had no idea there was lower chances of conceiving after! Gosh it's mind boggling there's so many factors to consider x

Chips4dinneragain Tue 26-Mar-19 16:06:38

2.5 years sounds tough mousebat is your next test the one where they flush dye through your tubes? I think there's supposed to be a high rate of pregnancies following that test, anecdotally anyway.

I've had two cycles of bloods sassenach a couple came back borderline (progesterone 26 and fsh 9.3) but I wasn't sure they were taken on the right day and when they were repeated they were fine. From what I've read both fsh and progesterone fluctuate so much in a single day that it's difficult to draw conclusions from a single cycle, my gp has said I dont need to repeat them again but am seeing her next week so will discuss next steps.

Gettingonabitnow Tue 26-Mar-19 17:13:53

Hi ladies. Interested to read about your c sections. Was it a traumatic birth? Mine was, and I had a retained placenta which was basically ‘gauged out’ by a surgeon with their hand up there. I do wonder whether that has left some damage.

sassenach84 Tue 26-Mar-19 18:33:13

MouseBat Sorry to hear that, that does seem an awful long time, especially considering your age.

No C section here.

Chips Well that sounds reassuring at least that the results have come back fine at some point. Interested to hear what your GP says on options. I'm seeing mine tomorrow.

MouseBatMummy Tue 26-Mar-19 21:09:49

Thanks for the support ladies.
@Chips4dinneragain yep it's the dye test for me next and I have also heard stories about that doing the trick so fingers crossed. We see our consultant on 8 April and hopefully will get a date for the test soon after. I'll report back if this thread is still going.

Explorers10 Wed 27-Mar-19 14:30:26

Hi all, I had my blood tests done and got bad news high testerone and androgens. I am in complete shock. The GP said I need a scan at the hospital to check if it’s pcos although she said she was confused as I’m not overweight or have any facial hair and I have regular periods. She said basically the male hormones destroy the egg so I don’t ovulate. I’m devastated as i conceived 1st try with my 1st with no issues so can’t understand what’s happened or changed.

sassenach84 Wed 27-Mar-19 16:44:40

Explorers oh no sorry to hear! Were all other results fine? What about testing at a different time like Chips had done and in the end getting different results - is that a possibility with these hormones or do they stay constant throughout cycle?** I often find that while at a GP I can't think of any questions but then later have tons so perhaps when you go back you can go with a list.

Don't despair, there'll be a pill to suppress those pesky hormones I'm sure! X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »