Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Sophie?

(67 Posts)
SandySands Sun 14-Oct-18 03:57:56

What are your thoughts on the name Sophie? Would you use a name you liked despite it’s popularity?

SuperstarDJ Sun 14-Oct-18 04:00:47

I think it’s a really bland and boring name. Sorry blush

Pemba Sun 14-Oct-18 04:02:02

Lovely name. I think Sophia is more popular at the moment, which I also like, but not so much as Sophie. I don't think there would be too many Sophies in your daughter's class, but there will probably be at least one Sophia.

AdventuringThroughLife Sun 14-Oct-18 04:11:10

I much prefer it to Sophia which seems to be a trend at the moment that will come and go.

But there are a lot of them!! (Popular for a reason though, good classic name.)

hoping2018 Sun 14-Oct-18 05:21:33

I like the name but it's Over done at the moment. Have a look at the thread on how many children in each class have a name - Sophie/a is listed thousands of times.

Wherearemycarkeys Sun 14-Oct-18 06:12:45

I really hate it. It's so dull and overdone. Sorry blush

celticmissey Sun 14-Oct-18 06:52:01

Go with the name of you love it. I always loved the name Sophia even when I was little, so that's what I named my daughter. I couldn't care less how many there are- they won't feature in our life and nobody has a monopoly on a name. By the way- she's the only Sophia in her entire Primary and Junior school. If you love the name Sophie go with it!

TheDowagerCuntess Sun 14-Oct-18 07:03:18

Oh gosh. Really? It's fine <damns with faint praise>

But it's just so ubiquitous. I mean, if you love it, go for it, it's your child. But there are so many better names out there - can you really not find one that isn't just wallpaper?

And it really doesn't matter if they're the only one with the name at school - it's still everywhere. And will date.

I would never say this to a parent of a Sophie in real life - but as you're asking for opinions, I'll be honest.

Sunflower321 Sun 14-Oct-18 07:09:27

Overused and dull.

17caterpillars1mouse Sun 14-Oct-18 07:09:32

It's a lovely name but would be too popular for me to personally use when you take into account that some Sophia's probably go by Sophie too.

BertramKibbler Sun 14-Oct-18 07:17:22

Sophie is such a pretty name and not as common as Sophia

RoseMartha Sun 14-Oct-18 07:18:44

I like it but not sure I would use it due to its popularity, however I would and you could always opt for it as a middle name.

vanitythynameisnotwoman Sun 14-Oct-18 07:25:07

I really like it and I absolutely would use it regardless of popularity. It's classic and relatively timeless. Lots my age (80s) and I know some born every decade up to today. Go for it OP.

TallulahBetty Sun 14-Oct-18 07:32:52

Blah and way too many of them

DragonGoby Sun 14-Oct-18 07:35:44

I love Sophie! I only know two (one adult and a 7yo) plus one Sophia (age 11).

Snappedandfarted2018 Sun 14-Oct-18 07:39:03

I have a Sophie who’s five she’s only one in her class it’s certainly not boring but then I’m not a fan of outthere names, it’s a timeless name one that will not be dated

LeeMiller Sun 14-Oct-18 07:39:53

It's lovely. Much prefer it to Sophia which is too trendy, Sophie is more classic.

LIVIA999 Sun 14-Oct-18 07:42:35

I LOVE Sophie. I think it's a really lovely gentle name. I only know one who I am related too. I don't think there is one in my child's school at all. Infact I don't know any others.
Go with what you like.

ItsJustASimpleLine Sun 14-Oct-18 07:51:50

Beautiful name but one of the most popular names world wide as Sophie/Sophia/Sofia. For that reason I would suggest it's used as a middle name if your heart isn't set on it as a first name.

Its one of those names where there'll be 3 or 4 in the class year group, like Christopher in the 90s. 3 in my class and 7 in the year group.

Rarfy Sun 14-Oct-18 07:56:04

It's a beautiful name and would have made our list had i not had a cousin with that name. So pretty and feminine.

funmummy48 Sun 14-Oct-18 07:57:35

I've worked in 2 different Primary Schools over the last 15 years & have only ever come across one Sophie so it's definitely not over used. It's a pretty name, go for it!

bluetit101 Sun 14-Oct-18 08:02:39

I have a Sophie smile
I know it's popular and my other DC's names are not so popular, but we love it.
Definitely not dull. A very pretty, girly, classic name

applecatchers36 Sun 14-Oct-18 08:03:51

Bland, boring, dull

mrsnec Sun 14-Oct-18 08:13:54

It was on my shortlist. The only reason we didn't use it or Sophia is because of its popularity, or so I thought. Turned out there isn't a Sophie or Sophia at dd's nursery so perhaps it's not as popular as I thought.

I don't regret not choosing it as I think the name we went for suits her better anyway but I would say if you love it use it.

I think it's a great idea using names that work in different languages which is why it was on my list. I also love it's meaning.

MsNowtyBach Sun 14-Oct-18 08:24:41

It is a pretty classic name, that won't date. It's a sound choice.

I've never met a Sophie that I didn't like!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: