To think my neighbour can drill a whole in my house to permanently hang a 15ft tarpaulin?

(628 Posts)
Euro21widow Fri 18-Jun-21 13:34:18

So, name changed as obviously outting as pretty sure this isn't a normal occurance!

My neighbour has drilled a hole in my (grade 2 listed) building so she can permanently hang a piece of tarpaulin about 15ft up (as high as my 1st floor roof) for "privacy". Surely she can't just do this? Where do I go from here? It blocks all the light out to my ground floor windows now. Have included (bad) diagram.

OP’s posts: |
Anythingelseintheboxpandora Fri 18-Jun-21 13:35:20

shock

Soubriquet Fri 18-Jun-21 13:35:37

I very much doubt she’s allowed to do this

I would contact the council

Anythingelseintheboxpandora Fri 18-Jun-21 13:35:49

Unhelpful I know but that is…beyond cheeky fuckery.

Euro21widow Fri 18-Jun-21 13:36:58

She seems to think because she has lived here decades and we have just moved in then she has some sort of right to do this. We both own our houses if that is relevant.

Slothmomma Fri 18-Jun-21 13:37:45

Shes batshit and I would be ripping it down quick smart

MrsTulipTattsyrup Fri 18-Jun-21 13:38:56

Damaging a listed building carries a potential unlimited fine and up to 6 months in prison.

If you want to go nuclear, contact the Planning Enforcement team at the local planning authority.

Advertisement

Soubriquet Fri 18-Jun-21 13:39:02

She may have lived their longer but she still can’t be drilling into someone else’s (grade 2!) building

Sportysporty Fri 18-Jun-21 13:39:11

Technically criminal damage

Euro21widow Fri 18-Jun-21 13:39:29

@Slothmomma I can't rip it down without being on her property as it is very securely attached as she has drilled it into the wall.

RedMarauder Fri 18-Jun-21 13:40:07

The main thing you have going for you is that you can't attach anything to grade 2 listed buildings without permission.

So take good pictures of what she has done with if possible the holes.

Then send her a letter asking her to remove it and make good the holes pointing out your building is grade 2 listed so she can't just hang things off it.

After that you will have to escalate.

tornadosequins Fri 18-Jun-21 13:40:28

Contact your local authority.

SpeakingFranglais Fri 18-Jun-21 13:40:33

I would knock on the door, remind her that it is YOUR house and then she has just caused criminal damage to your listed building and insist she removes it immediately and makes good the damage or you will remove it and charge her.

What a cheeky fucker.

RedMarauder Fri 18-Jun-21 13:41:41

Oh and in the letter give her 14 days with a date to remove it before you take further action.

Then escalate.

Bopahula Fri 18-Jun-21 13:42:13

Have you asked her to take it down?

I'd lean out of your bedroom window and remove it if you can.
Then tell her she needs to rectify the damage she's caused. Cheeky mare.

TheQueef Fri 18-Jun-21 13:42:43

Would she absolutely know it's G2?
Regardless, she's outrageous.

Confuzzled12345 Fri 18-Jun-21 13:42:44

You would not be unreasonable to cut it down!

Ozanj Fri 18-Jun-21 13:42:57

MrsTulipTattsyrup

Damaging a listed building carries a potential unlimited fine and up to 6 months in prison.

If you want to go nuclear, contact the Planning Enforcement team at the local planning authority.

This

FeatheredHope Fri 18-Jun-21 13:43:55

Wow that’s insanely cheeky on many levels.

Definitely contact your local council

PuntasticUsername Fri 18-Jun-21 13:44:24

The main thing here is, your diagram is excellent well done OP.

Oh and your neighbour is BVU obviously.

Auntpodder Fri 18-Jun-21 13:44:43

CF/madness

MangosteenSoda Fri 18-Jun-21 13:45:25

Is it a fixed/retractable awning that she has fitted to the side of your house that borders her garden? Or one of those sail shade things? Either one is well into CF territory, but if the former, it could really damage the building if not done properly.

Do you have downstairs windows that open directly onto her garden? If so, I don’t see what extra privacy she is creating.

Nice diagram btw grin

Euro21widow Fri 18-Jun-21 13:46:12

@TheQueef she absolutely knows as her house is too and we are part of the same listing and she has told us before. I have asked her and she says she is entitled to have her privacy and as it isn't permanent (she says she will remove it when windy) then it is allowed and she won't be removing it. She did tell me she as going to erect an awning but she never mentioned it would be on my wall and that it would be so high and block all the light to my ground floor.

LakieLady Fri 18-Jun-21 13:47:29

MrsTulipTattsyrup

Please do this! She's a cheeky fucker and it will serve her right.

Mind you, she could have MH issues. A friend put tin foil over all his windows to protect his privacy, shortly before he was sectioned.

Euro21widow Fri 18-Jun-21 13:47:49

@PuntasticUsername I knew I wouldn't get away without a diagram grin.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in