Talk

Advanced search

Page 14 | What makes a person 'common'?

(927 Posts)
Karlwho Wed 10-Jul-19 20:37:53

In your opinion. Just interested.

OP’s posts: |
Pinktinker Thu 11-Jul-19 08:29:46

Pastel coloured loo roll is common. Only white is acceptable.

Once my Gran sent my Dad to the shop for some loo roll and he dared to return with some peached coloured rolls. She literally hit the roof grin. ‘Who do you think I am? A commoner?! Toilet roll should only be white!’ I found it hilarious as a child and my poor Dad was absolutely baffled, she sent him back to swap it for white!

Ilovemypantry Thu 11-Jul-19 08:37:42

All silver/grey or pink/grey living rooms
Mirrored/sparkly furniture
Velvet sofas/chairs (especially grey)
Big, sparkly silver ornaments
Cushions that are “karate chopped” Mrs Hinch style (why?)
Angel wings on walls

All of the above are very common and show a complete lack of individuality.

FrenchtoEnglish Thu 11-Jul-19 08:38:31

I think I started with things I thought were "common" and then as I got into it, it became things I find to be "twattified". It's the whole "try-hard" thing I can't stick. Instagram is dreadful. I've only just started looking and it has blown my mind. It's scary that young girls are now standing with one leg over the other and the heel up. What the hell are we teaching our girls.
Disney is also for dopes. Grown women wearing proncess dresses and ears. It's riciculous.
I'm not so bothered about names. Call your kid what you want.
I'm bothered about women having to live up to this image. You look good, your house is all clean and matchy. Your car lets people know you're doing well (even if you're not), you have to have special clothes for picking up your children, you use words like "school run" and "date night" and "do lunch". I don't know when all that fucking started. We all need to have a reallly good look at ourselves. I'm terrified that my daughter is going to think it's normal to have to go around pouting and lasering her hair off her fanny and standing weirdly and talking about reality TV. It's a big problem. I might have to go and live in the forest. I think I'm in a spectacularly bad mood today because I could really carry on with my list.

SuzieQQQ Thu 11-Jul-19 08:38:46

Tattoos, swearing, bad grammar, talking about money and how much things are alll the time, bad manners, questionable hygiene.

NoSauce Thu 11-Jul-19 08:40:13

Had to google karate chopped cushions.
Why is this a thing grin they would drive me mad, they need plumping not chopping!

NoIDontWatchLoveIsland Thu 11-Jul-19 08:41:01

Ok here goes nothing:
Flashy cars
Too much makeup
Children dressed like mini adults
Fake tan
Going regularly to high street bookies/generally gambling other than on the grand national or when actually at the races.
Televisions in bedrooms or kitchens
Toddlers with dummies
Feature walls

My granddad would have said
Walking along the street eating
Buying on credit/pawning things
Shop bought cakes

Rainbunny Thu 11-Jul-19 08:41:09

Frequent swearing - often accompanied by a reduced vocabulary.

Smoking and vaping (I don't care if the entire royal family are secret smokers - it's still common). Yes DM, I mean you too!

Instant gravy.

Chewing gum while being interviewed on live TV. This refers to a couple of the women's world cup football team when they attended Wimbledon this week, a tennis presenter asked them a few questions and one player chewed gum throughout the interview. I love the women's team but that made me cringe

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Thu 11-Jul-19 08:42:43

Behaviour that inconveniences others like drinking and shouting in public.
Croydon facelift with sharpie eyebrows and fake tan
Shiny sportswear stretched over a beer gut
Going abroad and only wanting to eat sausage and chips rather than local food
Not valuing education or hard work

(Shoes on or off in the house is a cultural issue as well as a class one eg for Japanese people shoes on is incredibly rude)

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Thu 11-Jul-19 08:45:05

Oh yes and my absolute pet hate
Not turning the TV off if you have visitors.

Pinkarsedfly Thu 11-Jul-19 08:48:24

For me, it’s behaving in a way that impacts negatively on others, seemingly without a thought or care. Or worse, showing active pleasure in the fact.

So, being steaming drunk and swearing in the street at 2pm when there are kids around. Weeing in a doorway. Letting your kids run wild and terrorise pensioners. Driving your car like a lunatic. Not cleaning up after your dog. Smoking around children. Loud music at all hours.

Just that general ‘two fingers’ to the rest of the world, with a side order of ‘I dare you to challenge me’.

Disclaimer: I grew up on a council estate in Hull, swear like a docker and have tattoos. There’s plenty for people to judge me on wink

TalentedTopiaryTart Thu 11-Jul-19 09:02:51

Shove all this judgey bollocks up your flaps for goodness sake.

Snog Thu 11-Jul-19 09:03:15

Saying 'not gonna lie'

findingmyfeet12 Thu 11-Jul-19 09:03:33

Is having a trampoline in the garden really "common"?

I don't think I've committed any of these etiquette sins. I do reveal myself to be common as soon as I open my mouth however with my Brummie accent.

luckygreeneyes Thu 11-Jul-19 09:11:58

If we mean common as in chavy rather than working class...

Babies ears pierced (cultural exceptions)
Smoking with kids in car/over pram
Not picking up dog poo
Allowing kids to spit/swear
Letting kids have iPads with no headphones in public, especially at dinner or on flights
Saying ‘of’ in place of ‘have’, ‘brought’ instead of ‘bought’ and ‘draw’ rather than ‘drawer’
Massive hair bands on babies

I’m happy to admit I judge people when I see those things

MercifulHour Thu 11-Jul-19 09:17:00

*@FrenchtoEnglish.....your list is so big and inclusive, I actually don't know a single person who would fit your 'not common' criteria. Sounds like a person who exists within the pages of Harpers or Elle Home*

I don't do/have any of the things on FrenchtoEnglish's list, and I can assure you I am not Harper's/Elle fodder!

omione Thu 11-Jul-19 09:17:00

Babies with pierced ears

DanglyWhoreTassels Thu 11-Jul-19 09:17:21

Well said TopiaryTart

I second that motion!

Stick all your judgement up your judgy flaps!

WolfInSlutsClothing Thu 11-Jul-19 09:23:14

Personally I think NOT eating white sliced bread is very common.

You can all shove your judgement up your flaps!! Dnt giv a shit wat yis tink ri!?

CraicMammy Thu 11-Jul-19 09:23:40

It’s vitally important one instils a sense of superiority and entitlement in one’s offspring from the the earliest age possible. Innit.

Also THANK GOD for outsourced parenting.

sqeakywheel Thu 11-Jul-19 09:24:15

According to my abusive mother:
Eating in the street
Women who smoke
Being low intelligence
Being flashy with money
Children with pierced ears
Being uneducated
Ankle bracelets
Nose piercings
Being loud
Wearing lots of rings
Large stones in rings
Eating with your mouth open
Not lifting ornaments when you dust
Wearing clothes that are revealing

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything tbh. I can think of one, bad teeth. My Mum and Dad have bad teeth, which is why she wouldn't have that on her list! My Mum identifies as middle class. She likes people to be inferior to her, anyone else threatens her fragile ego.

Sugarplumfairyfartface Thu 11-Jul-19 09:25:11

"Common" is an outdated bullying insulting word used by snobby love emselves crew who think they are superior to everyone else it is a word that should never be used just as using the "n" word or homophobic/religion/race words should never be acceptable. Do those same people call starving children in the 3rd world common cos they eat with their hands are dirty and have no shoes? However having said that if you scream n swear at your kids especially in public you are common as muck yes hypocritical but there u go!

The2Ateam Thu 11-Jul-19 09:26:50

I long time ago a posh boy I was dating called me common. This was because I was local to the area where we met and spoke with a south London accent.

I had just brought my first flat, nice car and good wages. He was living with his mum, driving an old banger and no doing particularly well in his career. I wish I had punched him to be honest - that’s common!!

CardsforKittens Thu 11-Jul-19 09:27:28

Things my friends’ mums thought were common:
Furniture that didn’t match
Holidays in the UK
Second hand clothes /hand-me-downs, having only 2 pairs of shoes
Wearing no make up
Doing free activities (eg picnic in the park) at the weekend

Things my mum thought were common:
Matching three piece suites
Package holidays to Spain
Designer clothes with logos, any jeans, synthetic shoes
Wearing foundation and mascara (lipstick and eye shadow were fine)
Buying clothes in shopping centres at the weekend

The 1980s were a confusing time for me. Don’t think I’ve heard anyone use the word ‘common’ since then. Or maybe I’ve stopped paying attention.

ThighsRelief Thu 11-Jul-19 09:29:14

Shove it up your flaps you judgey slagz.

luckygreeneyes Thu 11-Jul-19 09:31:37

@The2Ateam was that ‘brought’ deliberate? 😂

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in