Talk

Advanced search

To dress young daughters the same

(319 Posts)
Theorangeorange Wed 20-Feb-19 15:10:25

I have two young daughters (2 & 4) and I love dressing them in matching clothes - for reference they both love it too and get excited when they have the same on. I would stop when they don't enjoy it of course.

It's not every day, but for occasions they'll usually have the same on, perhaps in a different colour but matching.

I haven't ever given it a second thought until someone asked me whether I was concerned about them "not developing their own individuality" I wasn't!! Though I'm interested to hear thoughts......

Oddsocksandmeatballs Wed 20-Feb-19 15:12:30

I hated being dressed the same as my sister when I was younger and vowed never to do it with my own but I am sure there will be others who come along and tell you they loved it.

StitchingMoss Wed 20-Feb-19 15:13:50

I think it’s totally naff but each to their one grin.

Theorangeorange Wed 20-Feb-19 15:14:25

How old were you when you remember hating it? I don't want to scar them!

TORDEVAN Wed 20-Feb-19 15:14:45

I don't see an issue with it as long as they do actually love it and are excited by it.

I also don't think that at 2 & 4 it will have any major impact. I don't remember anything my parents made me wear at 2 or 4!

warmandfuzzycat Wed 20-Feb-19 15:14:46

If they like it, then yeah why not. Bet they look cute. grin

BiggerBoat1 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:15:09

I think it looks ridiculous, but they're your children.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 20-Feb-19 15:15:33

who are you hurting? honestly do as you please, when one of them no longer likes it they will be sure to tell you.

warmandfuzzycat Wed 20-Feb-19 15:15:41

Now if you were dressing them the same, and they were a boy and a girl............... shock

.grin

Oddsocksandmeatballs Wed 20-Feb-19 15:16:10

I am not sure how old I was when I first became aware that I hated it (I am now into my 50s so it was a long time ago) but I look back on old photos of us and still cringe.

CallipygianFancier Wed 20-Feb-19 15:16:20

Depends, are you getting them to look like the Grady twins from The Shining?

DragonMamma Wed 20-Feb-19 15:16:29

I was extremely close to my cousin growing up (our mothers are sisters) and we got dressed the same or a different colour of the same thing.

It was totally naff and we hated it. We look ridiculous in old pictures now.

Sexnotgender Wed 20-Feb-19 15:17:06

I think it looks stupid but if they’re happy then that’s the main thing.

Theorangeorange Wed 20-Feb-19 15:18:04

Oh no! I didn't even think people would think they were "naff" and "ridiculous" confused

Princesspeachy0 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:18:18

I think it's really lovely. I agree with a PP who said I bet they look cute.
When one of your DD's says she doesn't like it anymore, stop! Simple smile

Killerqueen2244 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:18:28

We used to be dressed the same up to about 8/9 and I remember hating it, there’s 3 years between us and have both got totally different colouring so I don’t think either of us looked great.

warmandfuzzycat Wed 20-Feb-19 15:18:37

I don't think it looks naff at all. confused

Each to their own, but it looks cute IMO. And as long as they are OK with it. Why not?

Seline Wed 20-Feb-19 15:18:53

I hate it when I see this. Looks like clones.

G5000 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:19:03

Now if you were dressing them the same, and they were a boy and a girl.........

I have a boy and a girl and sometimes dressed them the same. What's to controversial about jeans and t-shirt for example?

Pearpickinpenguin Wed 20-Feb-19 15:19:34

Really chavvy imo but each to their own.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Wed 20-Feb-19 15:20:00

I figure kids are individuals and I like to reflect that but each to their own.

thefirst48 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:20:13

I absolutely detested it when my mum dressed me and my sister the same. Even looking back at the pictures annoys me lol.

LeadMeToTheChocolate Wed 20-Feb-19 15:20:17

I love it and wish I had more dc to dress them the same. Until then I will dress the dogs the same.
Who cares what anyone thinks if you and your dd are happy at what shade of dress they wear?!

blueskiesovertheforest Wed 20-Feb-19 15:22:00

I'm the oldest and hated it. My younger sister loved it. My parents chose to notice the response they wanted to notice...

Once we were about 6 and 8 my sister deliberately copied what I was wearing specifically to wind me up. My parents would say "how sweet, the girls have dressed the same" - I would be grumpy and try to change. My adorable sister would be praised and supported and I would be told not to be so nasty, my sister loved me and wanted to be like me... She would smirk at me while I was told off. My parents would continue to tell people how much we loved dressing alike.

I remember a holiday where my sister refused to get dressed until I was dressed every day. It drove me insane. She was very good at pushing my buttons and had my parents wrapped around her little finger!

Buffymum Wed 20-Feb-19 15:22:01

I was about 4 when I really didn’t want to wear the same as my 18 m younger sister including hairstyles ! My mother still put us in often matching but different coloured outfits till we were at least 8 . Hated it as we were very different children .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: