Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom comes with the house??!!

(606 Posts)
greencygnets Sun 29-Jul-18 12:10:08

So DH and I have just bought a new house (not brand new but new to us smile) and it cost us a lot of money (far more than a care to admit! smile)
We moved in yesterday, the house is perfect except for one thing...

They've taken the bloody bathroom with them!!!!

One of the two main bathrooms upstairs is literally empty, like I don't mean just the furniture which you obviously take with you. But they've taken the bath, sink and shower!!!!

The room is tiled but theres random pipes sticking out of walls where these things should be!! The only thing left is the toilet. I honestly don't know what to do... We were going to redo the bathroom anyway at some point but never told this to anybody and weren't planning to do so until at least November/December time but now we don't have a choice!!

The kids come home from the holiday with my in-laws on Tuesday and we've got no bathroom for them!!!!

AIBU to think that the bathroom comes with the house, or is it totally reasonable to take the bathroom with you to your new house??!!

Mooey89 Sun 29-Jul-18 12:11:53

My understanding is that if it’s ‘fixed’ it stays unless specifically stated?! What does your inventory say??

bluemoonchances Sun 29-Jul-18 12:12:14

You need to go to your solicitor ASAP and be prepared to take them to civil court if necessary. Bathroom is part of fixtures and fittings, it's not removable furniture. Contact your solicitor who sorted the move , and estate agents ASAP.

Cakemadeoffruit Sun 29-Jul-18 12:12:58

Did you not ring your solicitor as soon as you realised? If not phone them 9am on Monday morning!

HollowTalk Sun 29-Jul-18 12:13:05

What!!!! That's fixtures and fittings!

Think back to when you saw the advert for the house online. Did it describe the bathroom then?

I would get onto your solicitor immediately.

Iruka Sun 29-Jul-18 12:13:31

Contact your solicitor asap, if they were supposed to leave it then they will be able to get compensation. Including the cost of emergency plumbers etc.

HollowTalk Sun 29-Jul-18 12:13:48

@Cakemadeoffruit, she couldn't phone her solicitor on a Saturday!

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 29-Jul-18 12:14:05

They can’t take any fixtures and fittings without having explicitly warned you and gotten your agreement on.
Talk to your solicitor.

9amTrain Sun 29-Jul-18 12:14:10

Who on earth takes a bathroom with them unless it's explicitly set out beforehand?!

RandomMess Sun 29-Jul-18 12:14:21

shock

Bluelonerose Sun 29-Jul-18 12:14:26

Solicitor asap. Who would take the bath with them?? confused

AornisHades Sun 29-Jul-18 12:16:06

Nobody takes the bath and shower! That's so far outside the norm that you'd have to have flagged it up clearly if you intended to do that.

funnylittlefloozie Sun 29-Jul-18 12:16:38

You moved in on a Saturday? Did you complete and take possession on the Friday? You need to get onto your solicitor first thing tomorrow morning and make a HUGE stink. Unless it specifically states that they are taking the bathroom fixtures in your contract, they CANNOT do this. What a total nightmare (but thank goodness you still have one bathroom to use!).

sue51 Sun 29-Jul-18 12:17:12

I've heard of people taking light bulbs but never whole bathroom! Solicitors Monday for you. This is a whole new level of CFery.

monkeysox Sun 29-Jul-18 12:17:57

What massive CF

SneakyGremlins Sun 29-Jul-18 12:18:05

Anyone else hoping when the CFers arrive at their new house someone's taken the entire first floor?

missedith01 Sun 29-Jul-18 12:18:19

Bathrooms are fixtures and fittings ... go to the solicitor who did your conveyancing.

sporadicrains Sun 29-Jul-18 12:18:39

shock

antipodeankat Sun 29-Jul-18 12:18:42

That's outrageous. As other posters have said, the bath and shower are "fixtures" and legally part of the land. Unless the vendor specifically removed them from your contract of sale, they were included in exchange, they legally belong to you and they have been stolen from you.

PotteringAlong Sun 29-Jul-18 12:19:10

I agree. Call your solicitor. They can’t do that.

SnuggyBuggy Sun 29-Jul-18 12:20:32

Never heard of anyone doing that. Barking

CuriousaboutSamphire Sun 29-Jul-18 12:21:16

Did they expempt them in the fixures and fittings list? Though I don't expect any solicitor would have missed that!

As others have said, they ahve stolen from you. Get back to your solicitor and sue them for the cost of a new bathroom!

worridmum Sun 29-Jul-18 12:21:29

It does not have to cpme with house but they need to clearly state in the contract if they are taking it.

If its not written in the contract that they are taking it you can easily sue them but if it is in the contract you are out of luck.

abbsisspartacus Sun 29-Jul-18 12:22:44

I did a house exchange once where she took all the light bulbs they were useless too her as it was all leds at the house she was moving into

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 29-Jul-18 12:22:54

I think op might have noticed if they’d written it into the contract...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: