Talk

Advanced search

To think I’ve found the secret to losing weight and keeping it off!

(235 Posts)
Mummybo88 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:38:01

Posted in weight loss but don’t know if anyone read it, so posting here for traffic.

I feel really passionate about this and I’m hoping it might help some of you the way it helped me.

I’ve had problems when it comes to food since about the age of 12 or 13. Up until then I was very slim & very active. Anyway, by the age of 15, I found myself very overweight. This prompted a cycle of me trying to cut a million & one things from my diet, having some small successes but then falling off the wagon, giving into my bodies cravings and feeling like a failure. Cue the self loathing, subsequent binging and weight gain.

I went through years of this. I tried everything. At one point, I even lost 3 stone but, lo and behold, I eventually gained it back and then some.

Anyway, one day it dawned on me that what was destroying me was all the rules. I never listened to my body, I didn’t trust myself to listen to my body. Days when I went to bed hungry felt like a success. In all honesty, I had sort of lost the ability to listen to my body. I’d become a slave to this diet - binge cycle.

Anyway, I decided to try something which felt very, very daunting. I decided to forget all the rules and try to learn to listen to my body again. I was terrified that I’d find myself living off chocolate brownies but guess what, it didn’t happen!

My initial focus was to really start concentrating on stopping eating at the moment I started to feel full. This wasn’t as hard as I thought because I felt safe in the knowledge that if I felt hungry again, i would just eat something else. Overtime, my cravings for all these “forbidden foods” lessened because they were no longer forbidden. When I used to diet, I’d spend my days fantasising about all of the foods I wasn’t allowed but now the everything was allowed, I’d find myself craving porridge for breakfast or a banana for a snack.

I also vowed to get out of the habit of weighing myself everyday. Initially, I’d do once a week and now I’m probably once a month (or whenever I remember to!!). The thing is, my weight on the scales each morning was dictating how much I ate that day. That’s just ludicrous when you think about it.

The other thing I realised is that some days you’ll eat more than others. If you have a day where you are more hungry and you find yourself eating more, don’t beat yourself up about it! You’ll find yourself eating less another day and it’ll all balance out.

I broke the diet/ binge cycle and I’ve weighed in the region of 8stone 10 - 9stone for the past 4 years. Other than my two pregnancies and both times, i lost the weight following this way of eating.

I eat cake, sweets & chocolate, but I also eat fish, vegetables & fruit. There’s a reason why 95% of people who go on a diet regain the weight within a year.

This has really worked for me and I hope it can help some of you. It’s by no means an overnight fix. The weight won’t just disappear in a few weeks, but it will come off and stay off. I know everyone’s different and what works for one person may not be so good for someone else but this has really changed my life and I can now enjoy food in a way I never could before.

I hope this can be of help smile

HollyBayTree Tue 13-Feb-18 10:44:04

We call it 'Slimming World'

Bluntness100 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:46:47

Paul McKenna is that you?

Mummybo88 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:46:54

There is no tracking anything though, no counting anything.

BadlyParkedRangeRover Tue 13-Feb-18 10:48:20

It's Paul Mckenna's 'i can make you thin '

maxthemartian Tue 13-Feb-18 10:49:17

I found the secret too, it's called chronic illness.

PurpleDaisies Tue 13-Feb-18 10:50:49

That doesn’t work for me. My intuitive eating involves just eating cheese and crisps. I have tried it in the past.

Mummybo88 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:51:44

Okay, i’m just leaving it there for anyone who wants to try something different. I spent a decade of my life pretty much hating myself because of my weight and because I failed at every diet or succeeded but then gained the weight back. I’m so much happier now and I’ve seen so many people on here asking what diets work so I just wanted to share my experience for those who may be feeling the way I used to feel.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Tue 13-Feb-18 10:51:53

Sounds like the theory behind th Virtual Gastric Band, *mummy. However I agree with you.

PurpleDaisies Tue 13-Feb-18 10:52:14

Now I meal plan making sure I’ve got five portions of veg and lean protein every day, which works really well. I weighed carbs for a while to get used to what a sensible portion is.

WorraLiberty Tue 13-Feb-18 10:53:20

I think this is how most people who are 'naturally slim' eat, OP.

Also, eating slowly can help with the feeling full before getting to the end of what's on your plate - that and drinking enough water.

Stmoritz Tue 13-Feb-18 10:54:36

I don’t know why you’re getting such snotty replies when you’re absolutely correct, OP, and trying to help people. I’m very glad that you’ve found something that has worked for you. Yes it is the same as Paul McKenna’s advice, and it works!

Teetotal2018 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:54:36

Oh wow well done for eating normally 😂

Lentilbaby Tue 13-Feb-18 10:55:06

I’ve used the Lifesum app in the past and found it to be really useful. It ‘reminds’ me how many calories I’m consuming with all my usual foods and therefore makes me think about what I’m eating rather than just guzzling!

Mummybo88 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:55:25

PurpleDaisies I’m sure it doesn’t work for everyone.

I didn’t think it would work for me. I’ll not lie, I didn’t make the best food choices at the start because I’d been depriving myself of certain foods in the past so those foods were all I wanted at the beginning. Once it really sunk in that nothing was off limits, my eating habits changed.

Like I said, the main thing for me at the start was to learn to stop eating when I felt full, whether it be crisps you’re eating or salad. Just learning to stop when I felt full was a major step forward for me.

Mummybo88 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:58:43

My thinking is, anyone can lose a stone in a month. Cut carbs and the weight drops off. Will it stay off? Unlikely.

If you want to be slim and stay slim, it’s a slower, much simpler process and it’s maintainable for life without having to deprive yourself.

crunchymint Tue 13-Feb-18 11:00:44

I can do this too, but I have to stop before I feel full. Basically you know that first feeling as food hits your stomach, I have to stop eating then. Although I know I will feel slightly hungry soon after, I have to ignore it. I know my naturally slim friends do not do this. Even when I am busy and do not want to eat, I can never forget to eat. I get really strong hunger pangs.

Mummybo88 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:01:12

Oh wow well done for eating normally

I know you’re being sarcastic but yeah, thanks!

Eating normally was something I thought I’d never be able to do, so to you it may be a joke but to me, i’m very proud of myself for that.

crunchymint Tue 13-Feb-18 11:01:41

And I like healthy food. Healthy eating is never the issue for me,it is portion size. If I eat as much healthy food as I want, I get fat.

TheSconeOfStone Tue 13-Feb-18 11:01:55

Didn’t work for me but I have a very complicated relationship with food starting when I was 8 or 9. Eating because I was sad. I find SW stops me being obese but despite repeated attempts I have never been slim. I need serious therapy which I do not have the time or money for. Good for you for achieving it though.

onlyconnect Tue 13-Feb-18 11:02:04

OP, this tea interests me. I've been on the diet bandwagon for 38 years. I'd love to get off.
I feel quite scared by what you suggest. Part of that is inevitable after nearly four decades of either following very strict rules or being on a free for all. But part of it is because in fact I have quite healthy tastes anyway. I don't have a sweet tooth, don't want junk or processed foods, like cooking. I just eat too much. I suppose in theory that should make it easier for me. It's all about quantity.
Do you drink alcohol at all? Three nights a week I have half a bottle of wine. I really don't want to give that up, I enjoy it too much.

hollowtree Tue 13-Feb-18 11:05:55

Thanks OP! I've just had a baby and I've been guilting myself into doing one of these diets to get rid of the baby fat- but I never used to be overweight so I'm sure if I just go back to eating what I used to I'll be fine! Helpful post xx

EasterRobin Tue 13-Feb-18 11:07:51

I'm not sure why people are being rude (well other than that being the mainstay of AIBU). I'm glad you are happy with your eating and weight and hopefully some of the readers of this board will feel inspired by your lead.

EverydayImHufflin Tue 13-Feb-18 11:09:08

OP, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've just written. I've never been overweight but I am involved in the health and fitness industry and I wish more people had your common sense. I have been saying for years that fad diets are ridiculous and people should never live by what the scales say but it's so hard to get the message across. For people saying this is the same as slimming world - it's most definitely not. You should never have to pay another company to tell you what to eat and how to be healthy. Their ultimate goal is their bottom line and if you being unhealthy means they profit, they will keep you unhealthy.

SweetMoon Tue 13-Feb-18 11:09:20

That is good advise and thanks for sharing. I do this too and maintain a healthy weight, its just common sense but you are right in that when you are wrapped up so much in 'losing weight' all the time common sense sometimes gets a bit lost!

I'll add in something to go with it though, which may also help some people.

I hated exercise. So I started thinking of ways to make it habit instead of a chore. So one day I basically did 1 crunch. A bit pathetic but hear me out. Then the next day I did 2 crunches. Then the next day I did 3 crunches. And I kept increasing them 1 per day and in just over 3 months I was doing 100 crunches every morning. Its just habit now and those 100 crunches take less than 10 minutes out of my day. If I'd have just gone straight in there and tried to do 100 crunches I'd have given up after a couple of days. I have since added star jumps. I'll not be running a marathan anytime soon but it certainly helps me keep reasonably fit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now