Talk

Advanced search

AIBU re wrapping DDs birthday gifts for Christmas

(182 Posts)
Dec13girl Wed 08-Nov-17 23:26:20

We threw dd a 3rd birthday party for 15 kids and she got a lot of toys, some of which I put upstairs in the attic (because I wanted to bring her out a new toy each week). Now Christmas is coming up and I am wondering AIBU to rewrap some of the toys she opened for her birthday to give them to her for Christmas? Will she remember unwrapping them the first time?

lorelairoryemily Wed 08-Nov-17 23:28:07

Personally I think that's really mean

GreenTulips Wed 08-Nov-17 23:30:08

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest

She's 3 and won't care or remember the gifts only the excitement of opening them

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Wed 08-Nov-17 23:32:03

I would go for it if I were you.

MonkeyJumping Wed 08-Nov-17 23:34:51

Depends how good her memory is, my almost 3 year old would recognise them.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 08-Nov-17 23:36:57

Unless you are really hard up - no, it’s mean.

SpiritedLondon Wed 08-Nov-17 23:37:56

Were these presents from other people? If so then yes it's mean.... i also would have thought a 3 year old would remember having received at least some of them. If you're worried about present overload I would reduce my Christmas gifts or concentrate on other things rather than toys ( books, experiences etc) but I wouldn't re-gift someone else's present.

AtSea1979 Wed 08-Nov-17 23:38:32

I do this. I was caught out a couple of times. I told her I couldn't find the other one so asked Santa to send a new one, or I sent it to Santa to rewrap it in Xmas paper so you could open it again.

firawla Wed 08-Nov-17 23:39:02

It’s a bit off if they were presents from other people so no I wouldn’t do that

Tringley Wed 08-Nov-17 23:46:13

Odds are she'll remember them and possibly who gave them to her. My 5yo can remember a lot about his 3rd birthday and can describe parts in detail now, even though he wasn't very articulate at the time. The Christmas after his 3rd birthday he'd have known the gifts were already his and who gave them to him, but he'd have struggled to query it and I might never have known I was rumbled. At least until he'd randomly ask about it years later.

It's a risky idea.

Nocabbageinmyeye Wed 08-Nov-17 23:50:05

Ah here that is tight!! People can argue it's sensible and she won't know all they like but you took presents given to her by others, that is bad enough, to drop feed them over 15 weeks and then decide to save yourself money and use them for Christmas. You sound like a right joy sucker! Give your dd her presents FFS

Dec13girl Wed 08-Nov-17 23:50:16

It's not that I'm hard up, but I just can't stand the clutter! I'm trying to keep control of how many toys we have in the house. I guess it just seems economical to me!

HeddaGarbled Wed 08-Nov-17 23:56:26

I have no opinion about the rewrapping for Christmas but I think the putting her birthday presents in the attic because you wanted to bring one out each week is bizarrely over controlling. Sometimes, it's good for a child to be able to make their own choices about what they play with, not to have that controlled by you. If you feel like there's too much stuff out at once, a toy box or cupboard would be less drastic than the attic.

Mookatron Wed 08-Nov-17 23:57:34

3 is too old to do this (though I don't have a problem with it in principle).

A friend's mum used to put half her Christmas presents away and then bring them out in the summer holidays for a second Christmas - could you do something like that?

Fluffypinkpyjamas Wed 08-Nov-17 23:59:12

As tight as a ducks arse.

Sprinklestar Thu 09-Nov-17 00:02:30

That is just mean, OP! How would you like it if someone did that to you?

Reppin Thu 09-Nov-17 00:05:14

I don't think that storing toys in the attic is controlling Hedda . I always found that mine didn't know what to play with if there was too much, it was just all so overwhelming. Rotating the toys meant that there was excitement to see new things. It is very very common practice in many early learning centres.

NoSquirrels Thu 09-Nov-17 00:07:36

I don't find it right or controlling, but both my DC at 3 years old wouldn't have been backward in pointing out they'd already got this for their birthday...

AnotherRoadsideAttraction Thu 09-Nov-17 00:12:00

My DC would recognise it all.

(And at age 3 they would've already asked me where the gifts had gone to if they couldn't find the toys after unwrapping on their birthday!)

CocoPuffsinGodMode Thu 09-Nov-17 00:15:14

I think Hedda makes a good point and I’d add that had you left them available for dd you would by now have established which ones were a hit and the ones that weren’t could have been sent off to the charity shop.

I get what you mean about clutter but you deal with that by having a good sort out once or twice a year and passing toys on to a charity shop or anyone you know who’d appreciate them.

The only way I’d think what you’re suggesting was ok would be if money was an issue and you genuinely couldn’t afford gifts. Otherwise it seems a bit tight and almost as though it’s an opportunity to pull the wool over her eyes because she’s possibly too young to realise.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 09-Nov-17 00:15:55

Economical (in this case) = Scrooge.

2017SoFarSoGood Thu 09-Nov-17 00:20:18

Don't think it will work, but you could try it!

DD's 3rd birthday in May. I did the same as you (with family presents only), and brought some of them again re-wrapped as Christmas presents. First one open was a doll. She immediately turned to her cousin and said "I've got this one already. You may have this." And proceeded to do this with each of the hold backs.

BubblesBuddy Thu 09-Nov-17 00:21:10

I just think it’s setting a poor example as an adult. It’s lying really. Give a few bits and pieces for Christmas and give experiences if there are too many toys. Get a toy box. Invite less children to the party. 15 for a 3 year old? Too many.

FloraFox Thu 09-Nov-17 00:24:57

Don't invite 15 people to a party if you don't want 15 gifts.

My DC would have noticed this at 3 and I would be pissed off at you passing off my gift as yours or Santas. My DD has her birthday near Christmas and I have always resolved not to make her feel she's been cheated out of her birthday. Since you're not strapped, there's really no excuse.

EasterRobin Thu 09-Nov-17 01:51:25

My DD is slightly younger and would know if she had already been given an item, so I don't think you can pull this off dishonestly. But there's nothing wrong with being upfront and offering to wrap them again so there are extra things to unwrap at Christmas. Your child won't even know that's not normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now