Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | To be pissed off that Greggs vary regionally?

(281 Posts)
Creambun2 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:24:45

Why can't I get a greggs iced split in the home counties? And why are greggs bread puddings not avaliable in the south?

Are regional tastes so different that the whole uk can't enjoy a nasty but strangely alluring and edible iced split?

OP’s posts: |
n0ne Wed 04-Oct-17 08:52:01

When I was visiting Glasgow I had my very first Scotch pie from Greggs. Oh. My. God.

We clearly know nothing about pastry down south.

Coconutspongexo Wed 04-Oct-17 08:52:33

Pound bakery's are everywhere now (I think) their sandwhiches look disgusting

pinkmagic1 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:54:17

Donkey lug?

x2boys Wed 04-Oct-17 08:54:25

Yep its not quality tbh Dipping.

Creambun2 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:54:39

x2 think pound bakery is a nw only thing. Can't beat their bag of fruit flapjacks for a quid!

OP’s posts: |
x2boys Wed 04-Oct-17 08:56:03

I know Creambun i go because they are cheap grin

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 04-Oct-17 08:56:59

I was curious about the macaroni pie so googled and am now educated. For those who miss them, I came across the DIY Scotch Pie company who will post you the pastry and supply the recipes to make them yourselves grin.

I also learnt of the concept of the macaroni pie in a roll which surely would give the carb fearers on here an attack of the vapours.

And randomly, something that is likely to cause even more of a debate on here, Google also threw up this gem:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41493440

'Consensus Action on Salt and Health said Sacla's Italia Organic Vegetarian Pesto No 5 Basil and Italia Pesto No 1 Classic Basil now contain more salt per serving than a McDonald's hamburger' grin.

Gilead Wed 04-Oct-17 08:57:30

Bread Pudding a plenty in the East. Dd bought me some just last week!

DeliciouslyHella Wed 04-Oct-17 08:57:39

Yum, Tottenham Cake.

Used to have the odd slice from Greggs when I worked in North London. We don't get it in our local ones here in Essex.

sinceyouask Wed 04-Oct-17 08:57:49

I know! I was devastated* when I realised you couldn't get welsh cakes in all Greggs. That the pound bakery does vegetarian sausage rolls is some consolation but really I want welsh cake.
*possible slight exaggeration

LineysRun Wed 04-Oct-17 08:57:56

ShangriLa, if I was on GBBO I would do a stottie-based pizza as my showstopper even if they asked for a cake

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 04-Oct-17 08:58:01

Donkey lug = donkey's ear? <guessing>

When I was a student, I worked in Greggs. We sold something called an 'elephant's foot'.

JackieMac77 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:58:38

I'm from Essex but have been living Oop North for years, and people round here have never heard of the cheesecakes you get in cheap bakeries in London...flaky pastry, icing and a topping of shredded coconut smile. Likewise, the Tottenham cake (a square of sponge with neon pink icing) seems to be extinct outside of the M25 sad

kali110 Wed 04-Oct-17 08:59:38

I miss a Greggs macaroni pie
What shock

gettingbacktoresearch Wed 04-Oct-17 08:59:38

I miss London Cheesecake... all that pastry, jam, icing and shreds of coconut on top sad

Coconutspongexo Wed 04-Oct-17 09:00:06

What was an elephants foot please??

cowgirlsareforever Wed 04-Oct-17 09:01:08

I am liking their salads at the moment. The ham and egg one are so reminiscent of the salads of my youth and the chicken and grain one is also very nice. DP is a big fan of the porridge if he needs breakfast on the go.

x2boys Wed 04-Oct-17 09:01:18

But do you get eccles cakes,chorley cakes and manchester tart in london though?

Miserylovescompany2 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:01:19

All ours (north east) now seem to have little café's - many years ago, probably 20* they used to sell cooked meat in their deli section. There was a bigger selection of cream cakes then also. Now it's more mass produced stuff, which brings in the profit.

Never seen a bread n butter pudding here?

cowgirlsareforever Wed 04-Oct-17 09:02:01

I make my own Tottenham cake. I think we used to get them for pudding at school. Very simple and delicious.

LineysRun Wed 04-Oct-17 09:02:02

carb fearers grin

pinkmagic1 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:02:19

An elephant foot is a big round pastry shaped like an elephants foot filled with cream.

Eve Wed 04-Oct-17 09:04:24

donkey lugs = donkey ears.

Iced buns in certain parts of NI are called Donkey lugs as they look like donkey ears. Usually they have desiccated coconut on the icing as well.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=donkey+lug+bun&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisoo7RwNbWAhWlDMAKHUF0DR4Q_AUICigB&biw=1696&bih=794#imgrc=oKxmlMkXe311UM:

Kazzyhoward Wed 04-Oct-17 09:06:07

The greater issue here us that they stopped doing the vegetable pasty.

Whilst I agree with that (they were lovely), the bigger issue is the crap sandwiches they serve these days!

Coconutspongexo Wed 04-Oct-17 09:07:25

They used to do lovely heated baguettes in my local greggs and now they don't.

They also done a gorgeous jalapeño chicken wrap for a while .. that's vanished sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in