Talk

Advanced search

I WIN MUMSNET WEDDINGS

(269 Posts)
FuckyDuck Tue 06-Jun-17 08:47:16

So we all love a good wedding thread 'it's not a summons, it's an invitation'..
We have been 'invited' to a wedding WEEK in the USA, prices starting from £3k, with 5 organised events, each with their own dress code, and given a link to the Amazon wish list/registry where the cheapest item is >£300! Children are welcome on the holiday but not at the ceremony, and we're to chip in to the brides accommodation the night before the big day to show her our love?!

Total costing is £5,500 for a WEEK.

So, come on, what do I win??

ShatnersWig Tue 06-Jun-17 08:48:44

WHAT????

I want some form of photographic proof of all this before you can claim your prize. Feel free to redact names

Tigger365 Tue 06-Jun-17 08:49:46

Or don't redact the names and let the daily fail pay for it instead

PNGirl Tue 06-Jun-17 08:50:51

You win one fewer friend or relative when you drop them like a stone!

In seriousness, unless it's your sister or something and it's going to end up being a week's holiday with immediate family, being invited to spend that on a destination not of your choice is unlikely to result in many positive RSVPs.

TheLegendOfBeans Tue 06-Jun-17 08:50:52

Pics or it didn't happen grin

glitterglitters Tue 06-Jun-17 08:51:21

You win!

Foxyloxy1plus1 Tue 06-Jun-17 08:51:24

You win Fucky. No contest. wink

Iamastonished Tue 06-Jun-17 08:52:04

Have you declined?

ShatnersWig Tue 06-Jun-17 08:52:06

No, the OP has to provide proof before she can win. Withhold that trophy

Mutiny0nTheBunty Tue 06-Jun-17 08:53:37

Did it come with a request for cash in poem form? For bonus points!

ARumWithAView Tue 06-Jun-17 08:53:39

Is this a Christian or secular wedding? If so, incredibly OTT. But I know in various other religions/cultures a week-long extravaganza is normal - difference being that it's also standard for the hosts to be incredibly generous about picking up all tabs, full hospitality, etc.

So, either way, you win an Oxfam goat to pass on as your off-registry wedding gift.

FuckyDuck Tue 06-Jun-17 08:54:17

Everything is personalised, down to the fucking envelope of the invitation. Absolutely ludicrous, the best thing being - it's someone DH used to be friends with before he moved away :/ they didn't even come to our wedding!

putdownyourphone Tue 06-Jun-17 08:54:36

Wait - do you know anyone who's actually going to be able to go to this?? Do they have insanely rich friends? And most importantly- is there a hen do?!!

Waltermittythesequel Tue 06-Jun-17 08:55:10

I'm not sure you can win without proof.

It sounds too grabby to be true! grin

FuckyDuck Tue 06-Jun-17 08:56:07

No poem for cash although they have 2 DC and are heavily hinting they want a third and wouldn't a nest egg nice. I've read about these things on mumsnet before but to actually have an invite! I was more excited about winning mumsnet than the prospect of forced fun in the USAgrin

expatinscotland Tue 06-Jun-17 08:56:28

I'm so surprised you haven't leapt over yourself to accept this pile of wank. I think every engaged couple needs to be reminded that, other than your nearest and dearest, no one really gives a fuck that you're getting married.

Rossigigi Tue 06-Jun-17 08:56:45

Wow just wow....

Maudlinmaud Tue 06-Jun-17 08:56:58

Pfft no chance. People need to wise the fuck up!

expatinscotland Tue 06-Jun-17 08:58:09

Remember back in the day when if you already had kids you just slipped off to the registry office?

glitterglitters Tue 06-Jun-17 08:59:25

@expatinscotland my dad looked at me utterly confused when I had a "proper" wedding dress for our registry office wedding. grin

CressidaTheHeathen Tue 06-Jun-17 08:59:44

It isn't in Maui, then? grin

ErrolTheDragon Tue 06-Jun-17 08:59:48

* it's someone DH used to be friends with before he moved away :/ they didn't even come to our wedding!*

Wonder if they've already had refusals from all sane and/or impoverished family and closer friends.grin

Is that price tag for the whole family or per adult?

ArgyMargy Tue 06-Jun-17 09:02:58

No proof no win. Pictures, now!

EdmundCleverClogs Tue 06-Jun-17 09:04:48

There's only one reply to their wedding invite:

'Are you on glue?'

Definitely buy them an Oxfam goat.

Maudlinmaud Tue 06-Jun-17 09:04:53

We had 11 days in Florida for about that. Villa, flights, transfers, car hire and Disney.
I am gobsmacked at the entitled twats shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »