Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how far Trump will be allowed to go

(214 Posts)
BishopBrennansArse Thu 26-Jan-17 16:34:51

before action is taken for the world's safety?

So far we've seen executive orders to increase nuclear defences, build the wall and stop all entry to the US from at least seven countries. Also executive orders winding female reproductive rights back several decades. There rumblings of restoring torture and various other things that aren't official yet.

Quite honestly this is part borne of my ignorance of how American constitution works but so far I'm really worried and wondering just quite how far he's going to be able to go before there are moves to stop him?

Before he was elected there was lots of 'don't worry he has to get through the house first' but he's done so much this week just because he wants to.

How much more?

cricketballs Thu 26-Jan-17 16:38:34

I've wondered that as well op - I was also under the impression that he wouldn't have this much personal power given the problems Obama had getting his care bill through

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:39:37

I was of the understanding that there would be nothing in his way to stop him. All the powers to be are Republican.

PickAChew Thu 26-Jan-17 16:40:22

He's such a knobber delight, isn't he?

His justification for wanting to bring back waterboarding being that "it works."

Fireandflames666 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:41:04

It's a scary prospect and a lot of supporters are now concerned but it's too late
😢

TizzyDongue Thu 26-Jan-17 16:41:24

Here's a question: why does Trump think that Mexico should pay for a wall he wants?

CockacidalManiac Thu 26-Jan-17 16:42:26

Who knows? Even if he's impeached, there's still his awful running mate. I think Pence would just press the button to start the End Times; he's a religious maniac.

mrsBeverleygoldberg Thu 26-Jan-17 16:42:28

Scary.

BornFreeButinChains Thu 26-Jan-17 16:43:04

I don't know but I did find it amusing to hear Moira Stuarts serious news readers voice quote Trump on one of his latest projects....the poor English grin

" Donald Trump said we are going to build a beautiful wall, a huge wall, its gonna be huge"

honeysucklejasmine Thu 26-Jan-17 16:44:16

I'm not sure what the process is, but let's hope for impeachment. Though Mike Pence is an actual psychopath.

ohfourfoxache Thu 26-Jan-17 16:44:17

It's pretty terrifying. And to top it off he out and out lies about the fucking obvious- just look at the inauguration crowd numbers. He's systematically repressing possible opposition- Christ knows where this is going to end up

CockacidalManiac Thu 26-Jan-17 16:44:22

Those of us who have read Judge Dredd are familiar with the story. Bad Bob Booth even looks like him.

cricketballs Thu 26-Jan-17 16:45:04

I understand that both houses are Republican but why is 1 person allowed to make such important decisions without it being 'cleared' as such? Does anyone think that someone might do as what we have just had and take this to a court to clear up what/who has power?

Saying that from the documentary I watched covering the amount of arse kissing that representatives had to have to get Obama Care through the USA is far from the democratic country they claim to be

GinIsIn Thu 26-Jan-17 16:45:15

Mexico are NOT going to pay for the wall. Never going to happen!

OneWithTheForce Thu 26-Jan-17 16:45:35

He has already signed death warrants for many people. World safety is already crumbling under him. E.g. Women will die as a direct result of his abortion bill. Women who are pregnant right now will die.

Crispmonster1 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:45:41

His disregard for the media (other than social media) scares me. It's as though he is becoming dictatorial.

CockacidalManiac Thu 26-Jan-17 16:45:59

And who's the first national leader to fly over and suck up to him? It's no wonder we're held in such contempt abroad.

SideOrderofSprouts Thu 26-Jan-17 16:46:29

Doomsday clocked has moved forward

ohfourfoxache Thu 26-Jan-17 16:46:33

Yy Crisp - classic dictator moves

OneWithTheForce Thu 26-Jan-17 16:48:14

What would happen if trump and pence, coincidently, wink were "unavailable for work" permanently? Who would be next in line?

CockacidalManiac Thu 26-Jan-17 16:49:06

Is it the speaker of the house? I'm not very up on the US constitution.

helpimitchy Thu 26-Jan-17 16:49:13

He's obviously not playing with a full deck confused He has so much wrong with him and it's not safe having him in this position. I really hope there's something going on in the background to stop him.

Mirador Thu 26-Jan-17 16:49:38

TizzyDongue
Here's a question: why does Trump think that Mexico should pay for a wall he wants?

From listening to his rhetoric, I'm guessing because the drug smugglers coming from Mexico are the ones killing the Americans who take the drugs (which is a fair point but it's not only Mexicans bringing in drugs) plus all the gang problems and so forth, being Mexican, that means it's Mexico's fault, so Mexico should pay.

I don't get why Mexico should pay either. I think he's just deflecting attention away from how much it will really cost the US people.

I'm just hoping he doesn't manage to get the torture thing re-instated.

OneWithTheForce Thu 26-Jan-17 16:50:10

Me too help

CockacidalManiac Thu 26-Jan-17 16:50:10

' The succession follows the order of Vice President, Speaker of the House, President pro tempore of the Senate, and the cabinet, which currently has fifteen members, beginning with the Secretary of State.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now