To worry about a world where Donald Trump is America's president

(160 Posts)
mrshudson221b Thu 03-Mar-16 07:00:57

someone please reassure me that he is unlikely to be the Republican nominee, let alone become president.

Cannot believe that anyone would take anything he says seriously or agree with any of his beyond offensive vile opinions. Like having Nick Griffin en route to becoming PM sad.

Noofly Thu 03-Mar-16 07:05:15

When we were at school, we had it drilled into us year in and year out that the American federal government is a system of checks and balances. I keep reminding myself of this fact and hope it works out to be true.

FellOutOfBedTwice Thu 03-Mar-16 07:06:09

I haven't been taking him seriously because I thought he was a 12 caret nutter and suddenly I'm thinking this is looking hairy. Another one looking for reassurance that this isn't going to happen.

Noofly Thu 03-Mar-16 07:07:05

I know I'm clinging onto straws in my first post...

Gwenci Thu 03-Mar-16 07:08:55

Totally and utterly YANBU. He's barely able to string a coherent thought together.

On the bright side though, he's provided Peter Serafinowicz the opportunity to do this:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-cA0NM5RAY0

Normandy144 Thu 03-Mar-16 07:10:00

I think it is likely he will be the republican candidate but think it is unlikely he will win as he has already split the party. That said, a PP is right in regard to the federal government - just because he wants to do lots of crazy things, doesn't mean they will be passed. He still has to get things through just like any other president would, and that's not easy.

21stCenturyBreakdown Thu 03-Mar-16 07:13:50

YANBU!

I tend to look at the bookie's odds for political predictions - Paddy Power are showing that he's the firm favourite for the Republican nominee but thankfully Hillary Clinton is a long way in front in terms of the Presidential race:

www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/us-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=791149

WinnieTheW0rm Thu 03-Mar-16 07:16:54

It does seem to become more likely as time passes.

Not so long ago, the bookies weren't giving him much chance of securing the nomination. I agree that bookies odds are often better than the pundits, but I think it's too early to be counting on them for the actual Presidential elections.

Plateofcrumbs Thu 03-Mar-16 07:25:24

I'm climbing onto the belief that Trump as candidate will hand it to Clinton on a silver platter.

Plateofcrumbs Thu 03-Mar-16 07:25:40

Clinging not climbing

BillSykesDog Thu 03-Mar-16 07:25:44

I don't think he'll be president. I think that the Republicans have 'done a Corbyn'. They're choosing a candidate who appeals to one pretty extreme side of people who are already committed Republicans. He won't attract the floating voters they need to win and will even alienate some previously Republican voters. As far as the Democrats are concerned he's a gift in that sense. I doubt Clinton would have been able to beat a more moderate candidate.

megletthesecond Thu 03-Mar-16 07:37:57

Yanbu.

21st I had a peek at the odds too. Seems reassuring.

The man is a mouthy, sexist, arrogant bully. I'm waiting for someone to come out and dish the dirt on him.

Hillary isn't perfect but at least she seems to be smart and a fairly decent person.

Mistigri Thu 03-Mar-16 07:46:58

Despite what the media are saying it's not even certain yet that he will be the republican nominee - he is only getting about one third of the republican vote. That means that two thirds of republicans are voting against him and depending on how the chips fall, it could result in a contested convention (which Trump might well lose).

I think there is now a reasonable possibility of a third candidate running, either a conservative one if Trump succeeds in his hijack of the Republican Party, or a Trump independent run if the Republicans manage not to choose him. This would give Clinton an easy run for the presidency.

Bumshkawahwah Thu 03-Mar-16 08:12:20

I keep thinking it's one great big wind-up and soon he'll come out and say 'just kidding! You didn't really think I was actually that vile, did you?'. The alternative is just too scary. I just can't believe he's real. While knowing that he is, unfortunately.

derxa Thu 03-Mar-16 08:24:58

Hillary isn't perfect but at least she seems to be smart and a fairly decent person. confused

MiaowTheCat Thu 03-Mar-16 08:28:10

There's a more terrifying thought...

Boris gets next leader of the Tories and you have a world with Boris running the UK, Trump running the US and Putin running Russia.

Sorry for that one with your morning coffee!

cozietoesie Thu 03-Mar-16 08:30:37

That is the country who elected Regan for a variety of reasons.

I'm feeling despondent about the whole thing.

SmallBee Thu 03-Mar-16 08:32:34

YANBU it is terrifying.
But DH pointed out that it's probably just a very vocal minority backing him. he has offended every non white male and most white males are intelligent enough to disagree with him. So it might be like our election last year when no one could believe labour didn't win because their voters shouted the loudest.

My last desperate hope is that if all else fails some mystical higher power will step in and just say 'no'.
I don't think he really actually wants to be president anyway, he must know he is too stupid and lazy to actually do the required job.

mimishimmi Thu 03-Mar-16 08:33:09

YANBU but it's been going this way for way longer than Trump's political ambitions ...

shitwithsugaron Thu 03-Mar-16 08:40:07

Miaow, it's funny you should say that as yesterday me and my dad had this conversation, and he pretty much said what you did in your post word for word confused

OneWaySystemBlues Thu 03-Mar-16 08:42:21

This is good: junkee.com/at-long-last-john-oliver-went-after-donald-trump-and-it-was-wonderful/74200

Potterwolfie Thu 03-Mar-16 08:57:03

It partly depends on who gets out there to vote. The electorate needs to vote with its feet if it doesn't want to Trump to become President as apathy from young people, floating voters and minority groups will allow him to sneak in through the back door. If anything, it'll get voting numbers up which can't be a bad thing. I was adamant that he wouldn't be voted in even as the Rep candidate and now I'm having to eat my words...it's quite terrifying.

Even if he did get in, he would suddenly become more moderate and a literal figure head for the country as the hard work was done behind the scenes.

cozietoesie Thu 03-Mar-16 09:05:01

He's mangled most of the pundits' predictions so far, I'm afraid.

Who is his Number 2?

Noofly Thu 03-Mar-16 09:28:30

Bumsh Wouldn't it be even better if it's a wind up and he came out saying, "Just kidding! You didn't really think I'd actually want to be President!"

exLtEveDallas Thu 03-Mar-16 09:40:43

I'm liking the FB/Twitter post doing the rounds at the moment - something like: "America, you think this is an election, but the rest of the world sees it as an IQ Test - and you aren't doing very well"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now