Talk

Advanced search

Washing hands after nappy change - MIL thread, sorry

(529 Posts)
StarlingMurmuration Wed 15-Jul-15 17:58:09

My PIL are staying with us at the moment to look after DS, after I have had an operation. I appreciate is is very generous and lovely of them, and I am grateful.

However, MIL isn't washing her hands after pooey nappy changes. AIBU to be bothered by this? How can I get her to do this without basically implying she's being disgusting? We do have hand sanitizer at the nappy change station, but I found she as using that BEFORE she changed his nappy instead of after! DS is 8 months old, just for info, and my operation means I can't lift or carry him, or bend over/ kneel down, so I can't do it myself at the moment.

todayisayesterdaystomorrow Wed 15-Jul-15 18:03:38

Just say... Oh did you wash your hands? He's had a polio vaccine which is live and hand washing was really stressed to me by the nurse wink

00100001 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:05:10

Oh... I never bothered washing my hands after poo changes... Unless it got everywhere

downgraded Wed 15-Jul-15 18:08:21

I don't wash my hands unless they actually get poo on them.

I'm a minger, but I just don't care enough.

TurnOverTheTv Wed 15-Jul-15 18:08:34

I didn't wash my hands either.

weeblueberry Wed 15-Jul-15 18:08:53

I don't wash my hands after pooey nappies either unless I've got some on my hands which you can always tell because ugh

NewFlipFlops Wed 15-Jul-15 18:10:02

I'm going to stop eating home made cupcakes shock

WipsGlitter Wed 15-Jul-15 18:10:26

It's pretty much up to her. If she doesn't get poo on her hands then she mightn't think she needs to.

NerrSnerr Wed 15-Jul-15 18:10:43

I'm another munger who doesn't wash her hands either.

Headinthedraw Wed 15-Jul-15 18:10:45

Yuck.I always washed my hands.Then again I'm a childrens nurse and its second nature.Do you non washers clean your hands after going to the loo?

Writerwannabe83 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:10:53

Another one who doesn't wash her hands unless there is poop on them grin

I give them a once over with a clean nappy wipe but that's it.

SquinkiesRule Wed 15-Jul-15 18:12:04

I used a baby wipe on my hands half the time and washed the other half. Maybe she's using a wipe on herself.

McColonel Wed 15-Jul-15 18:12:26

To all the people that don't wash their hands - surely when you have a dump yourself you wash your hands afterwards, even though you don't actually get shit on your hands?

McColonel Wed 15-Jul-15 18:13:25

Sorry Headinthedraw i see you asked the same thing already

TheEagle Wed 15-Jul-15 18:13:40

I'm married to a nurse so handwashing is top priority here.

He stopped washing his hands in between changing the DTs though. Otherwise his hands would have washed away grin

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Wed 15-Jul-15 18:13:54

laughing at all you grim mingers

just say he's had a bout of worms that should work

TurnOverTheTv Wed 15-Jul-15 18:14:54

I very rarely wash my hands <skank>

TheEagle Wed 15-Jul-15 18:15:45

Oh and sorry YANBU

mamaswabey Wed 15-Jul-15 18:16:45

Just wow. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to hygiene but even I wash my hands when I've been dealing with shit. shock

TurnOverTheTv Wed 15-Jul-15 18:16:54

Can I just ask the hand washers why they do it after a nappy change? What are you actually touching for you to wash your hands? Undoing the outside of a nappy and wipes, surely?

couldoutme Wed 15-Jul-15 18:18:46

Wish I hadn't read some of the replies on this thread shock am absolutely horrified.

NewFlipFlops Wed 15-Jul-15 18:19:10

I know, wtaf.

DaysAreWhereWeLive Wed 15-Jul-15 18:19:27

I never washed my hands; I would have washed them about ten times a day and my eczema would have gone mental.

She isn't actually touching shit; I can't see its an issue, or even that you noticed to be honest.

TheEagle Wed 15-Jul-15 18:19:55

Well, yes, ostensibly you're not actually touching poo (although sometimes that squirty stuff gets everywhere) but I wash my hands after I clean up my own poo.

whooshbangprettycolours Wed 15-Jul-15 18:20:40

Because wipes are not solid and poo can ooze without it being visible. Because it doesn't seem like extravagant hygiene when dealing with a nappy that is full of wee and poo.

.... mind you I've been in public toilets and seen people just walk out. Barf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now