Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

DDs nursery asking for donations to Mermaids

AnonGCMum · 04/08/2022 14:28

(Regular reader and occasional poster, have name changed for this)

Next week the nursery my two DDs attend (age 2 and 4) are going to be making cakes to sell in aid of Mermaids. As well as bringing in money to buy the cakes we’re
being asked to donate the ingredients.

I don’t want any of my money going to Mermaids. If it was just my 2yo I’d pretend to forget about it, but my 4yo has already reminded me twice. I’m not sure ‘forgetting’ will work with her.

I’ll also a bit concerned about what they might be teaching the children. They put a few photos up on an app each day so we can see what they’re doing and yesterday the update for my 2year old’s class included a picture of a handwritten display about the pride flag including the words “pink=trans joy”. I’m trying not to be pearl-clutchy about it and I’m fine with them learning things like ‘some people have two mummies’ but trans joy and Mermaids? At 2 and 4?!

Would you say something? Should I? I’m not brave about speaking up on these things. I’ll probably just leave my purse at home next week and ignore the rest, but what would you do?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Belovedfool · 04/08/2022 15:13

I'd be removing my kids as fast as I could, and seriously reevaluating my relationship too. That's indoctrination, and it's on toddlers. Fuck that. And no, I'd say my charity money was already being used elsewhere, for the food bank maybe.

Please
or

itwasntmetho · 04/08/2022 15:14

justasking111 · 04/08/2022 15:09

What's SRS?

I think sex reassignment surgery.

Please
or

JoodyBlue · 04/08/2022 15:16

You could say to them that political and sexual education is not appropriate to the age group. And yes, get the kids away from that nursery. My own feeling is this is a form of abuse towards children, deliberately eroding any idea of boundary setting.

Please
or

AnonGCMum · 04/08/2022 15:16

@myhairygoat No, but a quick Google suggests that neighbourhood is pretty similar to ours! South coast.

OP's posts:
Please
or

rabbitwoman · 04/08/2022 15:17

Hmmmm...... Can someone remind me about the lottery funding being taken away?

Mermaids are suing the LGBA.

Also, the Allison Bailey judgement specifically said that believing this ideology is detrimental to lesbians and women is a protected belief.

Surely it would be fine for you to tell the nursery you won't support a charity that is suing a charity for LGBs?

And if they make any whispers at all that the LGBA is a hate group or that you are a yerf, etc, surely you can report them for discrimination?

Anyway, that's all a bit confrontational but that's what I would do.

You could also bring your own cupcakes (much superior!!) and sell them at the same time telling them the proceeds are going elsewhere? There may be other mummies who don't want to support mermaids and don't want to be too overt about it!!!

Please
or

frozenorangejuice · 04/08/2022 15:22

I would be having some incredibly strong words with nursery management and considering getting my babies out of there into alternative childcare. Mermaids has zero place in that setting or any setting.

Please
or

livinchina · 04/08/2022 15:24

achillestoes · 04/08/2022 14:31

I’d get my babies the hell out of there.

Same

Please
or

notonmynellee · 04/08/2022 15:25

It doesn’t help that DH has swallowed the TWAW koolaid and implied he thinks I’m bigoted for having an issue with any of it.

I'm sorry OP but I couldn't live with a homophobe.

Please
or

Lysianthus · 04/08/2022 15:26

AnonGCMum · 04/08/2022 15:16

@myhairygoat No, but a quick Google suggests that neighbourhood is pretty similar to ours! South coast.

You'll want to avoid the city this weekend! But seriously this is not on. You could go in and say you'd forgotten, but if pushed you could muster your best Paddington stare and ask them about lottery funding, Tavistock, etc and give them a month's notice. If your eldest is going to school, and you've got pre and post school childcare gaps, you could employ a nanny, or childminder, which gives you back control of what your youngest is being exposed to, if that makes sense?

Please
or

socoldthenight · 04/08/2022 15:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Franca123 · 04/08/2022 15:29

Does anyone remember that Starbucks article with the boy sitting with the freaky looking man on the bed, both dressed as dolls? Wasnt that mermaid's website. I'd forward that to the nursery. Then I'd withdraw them with immediate effect and not pay any fees due in my notice period. Tell them they can take me to court for the money if they want a fight. Have a fight with them over it. Honestly I wouldn't give a shit.

Please
or

QuebecBagnet · 04/08/2022 15:30

justasking111 · 04/08/2022 15:09

What's SRS?

I’m guessing sex something surgery, sex removal surgery, sex reversal surgery? Not sure.....but I believe they had their genitals removed.

Please
or

QuebecBagnet · 04/08/2022 15:31

Oh I see someone has answered, reassignment!

Please
or

Coyoacan · 04/08/2022 15:35

There is no way I would be leaving any child of mine in the hands of people who think like that.

Any little boy found playing with a doll or little girl found playing with a car or a ball would be seriously at risk of being told that they were born in the wrong body.

Please
or

DPotter · 04/08/2022 15:36

In the past when I've been asked to support charities I can't agree with, I have said - I support 3 charities at the moment and can't support any more. I then tell them which charities - Toilet twinning, Alzheimer's Society and a local supported employment charity - so an international, a national and a local. I know it's a bit of a cop out not challenging them on their choice but this is also something you could tell your 4yr old and she'll understand.

Please
or

DPotter · 04/08/2022 15:37

Oh - and I'm not fibbing I do actively support these charities

Please
or

Seraphina1993 · 04/08/2022 15:38

Get them out of there! The nursery seems like it has been captured and raising money for a 'charity' like mermaids is just the thin end of the wedge

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 04/08/2022 15:43

You’ll be right that they’ll know exactly what Mermaids do. But it’s a politicised organisation, and that’s not the sort of organisation a school or a nursery should raise money for, anymore than they should a union or political party.

I’d write a neutral email saying that, plus the lottery link.

Please
or

AugmentedToast · 04/08/2022 15:46

I’d get my child out there asap. I don’t approve of cake sales. You never know what other peoples’ kitchens look like! 😂

But seriously … wtf? I’d consider a complaint to Ofsted

Please
or

Juicesausagecake · 04/08/2022 16:03

Raise it as a safeguarding concern. Mermaid’s practices (… encouraging children to set up new email addresses that their primary carers don’t know about) have all the hall marks of abusive adults grooming vulnerable children, and are not congruent with the ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ document with which the nursery will need to be compliant.

Obviously, there is far worse that Mermaids does, but get your nursery to respond to this detail. They will be obliged to investigate and reply to you (… and record it). If it is a state maintained nursery then write to the Safeguarding governor and the LADO in addition to the DSL in the nursery.

Please
or

RebeccaCloud9 · 04/08/2022 16:06

My guess for wokest city is Brighton.

Please
or

FunnyTalks · 04/08/2022 16:09

If they approve of Mermaids, it implies they believe toys are inherently gendered and children should embark upon a medical pathway if they wish to play with the toys stereotypically reserved for the opposite sex.

I'd get the hell out.

Honestly, primary school was an eye opener for me as to how much of the country really does believe in gender stereotypes. No way I want my kid exposed to that even younger.

Please
or

TheBestBitch · 04/08/2022 16:17

I haven't RTFT but I agree with get out of there. They know exactly what they're doing and it's not good.

Please
or

abblie · 04/08/2022 16:19

Sorry wouldn't care if it's the wokiest place in country it would be a firm NO and I wouldn't let the girls to attend that day

Please
or

SammyScrounge · 04/08/2022 16:21

achillestoes · 04/08/2022 14:31

I’d get my babies the hell out of there.

My thoughts exactly. Two year olds don't need to be bamboozled by a crazy ideology. Why would anyone want to fund Mermaids?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?