Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Are Mr Men endorsing Mermaids?

Sazzasez · 04/08/2022 00:19

Or are Mermaids infringing Mr Men copyright?

This from Mermaids Twitter.

if I were anything to do with the company that owns Mr Men I’d disassociate from Mermaids ASAP, and get the lawyers to have a word.

OP's posts:
Please
or

pink85 · 04/08/2022 00:25

I've seen the Mr Men stuff being used as memes so they probably made these themselves though I'm not sure and wouldn't be surprised if one of my beloved childhood series has been captured now

Please
or

LunaLights · 04/08/2022 00:31

So another childhood institution off the list? This is shit.

Please
or

TheBiologyStupid · 04/08/2022 00:58

LunaLights · 04/08/2022 00:31

So another childhood institution off the list? This is shit.

Yup. Little Miss Headtilt will be out any day now... Grrr!

Please
or

GrimDamnFanjo · 04/08/2022 01:17

I had some dealings a very long time ago and they would have had to have permission?
Who owns the brand now?

Please
or

TheBiologyStupid · 04/08/2022 01:25

GrimDamnFanjo · 04/08/2022 01:17

I had some dealings a very long time ago and they would have had to have permission?
Who owns the brand now?

According to Wikipedia, the Mr Men rights have belonged to Sanrio, the Japanese creators of Hello Kitty, since 2011.

Please
or

MrsJamin · 04/08/2022 06:16

There's ways to make these images yourself, no need to boycott anyone. Mermaids are just jumping on a meme trend. Ironically this meme started as a way to frame your trauma in a cute way, unbeknownst to Mermaids, I'm sure.

Please
or

Deliriumoftheendless · 04/08/2022 07:31

I don’t know where they came from but they are memes everyone is getting in on - I’ve recently seen them for buying sustainably and also my home town so it seems (as others have pointed out) they’re make your own memes. (there’s probably a Which Mumsnet Little Miss are you out there somewhere 😏)

Please
or

Hotandbothereds · 04/08/2022 08:10

The font doesn’t look quite right for these to be official, and if it was an official endorsement surely they’d have tagged the Mr Men accounts?

A few people have tagged them, would be great if mermaids had to take this down for copy write infringement!

Please
or

FartOutLoudDay · 04/08/2022 08:29

It’a a current meme

Please
or
Please
or

KittenKong · 04/08/2022 08:41

It’s a meme generation thing isn’t it? Some American ‘womens’ organisation did one with a tagline abusing women, so not surprised the fishy folk jumped on that bandwagon.

Please
or

RufustheFloralmissingreindeer · 04/08/2022 08:55

Dd has a thing on her phone where you can find out what little miss you are (i assume there is a mr man one)

turns out dd is ‘little miss wears a bra as a top’ 😳

Please
or

Sazzasez · 04/08/2022 19:45

I think there’s a big difference in individuals doing it, and a registered charity of such dubious tendencies as Mermaids doing it and adding the Mermaids logo.

Ive written to the copyright holders asking whether they endorse this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheBiologyStupid · 04/08/2022 20:00

I think there’s a big difference in individuals doing it, and a registered charity of such dubious tendencies as Mermaids doing it and adding the Mermaids logo.

Brilliant, well done Sazzasez.

Please
or

Hotandbothereds · 04/08/2022 21:28

Top work! Look forward to hearing their reply

Please
or

howdoesatoastermaketoast · 06/08/2022 20:35

good work @Sazzasez - Lighthearted suggestions for their next title -

Little Miss tired of sexist bullshit...

Please
or
Please
or

PlantSpider · Yesterday 14:51

Yes and predictably ‘Mr’ stays as Mr but ‘Miss’ is Mx. 🙄

Please
or
Please
or

Humbold · Today 10:35

Sanrio do Hello Kitty don't they? I imagine a large proportion of those who purchase Hello Kitty are middle-aged transwomen and gender fluid young people with cartoon avatars and an anime obsession who spend a lot of time online designing stickers and fan art featuring cartoon characters. Not sure they'd want to piss that demographic off by suing Mermaids.

Imagine a world where Mr Men and Hello Kitty were cancelled?!!😱But I suppose copyright infringement is copyright infringement. I'll be interested to see how this pans out.

Please
or

TheBiologyStupid · Today 10:51

Sanrio do Hello Kitty don't they?

They do indeed. Weirdly, the Hello Kitty character herself is supposedly a British schoolgirl called Kitty White who lives just outside London. www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/miranda/la-et-cam-hello-kitty-in-los-angeles-not-a-cat-20140826-column.html

Please
or

KittenKong · Today 12:07

Companies buy and sell the rights to cartoon /characters used for promo items. They won’t like this one bit (especially as they won’t be making money and it’s a bad look for the brand)

Please
or

girlwhowearsglasses · Today 12:28

Designer here.
they are infringing but it’s such a massive meme at the moment I doubt thy will chase everyone. Briefly considered doing one for one of my clients but they weren’t keen for this reason.

Many years ago I did a penguin book lookalike poster for a very local event. Someone took it upon themselves to report it and Penguin sent me a ‘cease and desist’ letter 😱

Please
or

KittenKong · Today 12:31

I guess they would pick a few high profile ones (say a ‘charity’) and have a few words.

these copyrights are world a fortune.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.