Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The Guardian is transphobic

47 replies

Diaryofamadwoman · 06/11/2021 12:09

And tried to get Eoin Higgins to retract his article on transphobia in the news room

eoinhiggins.substack.com/p/the-guardian-tries-to-intimidate

OP posts:
Please
or

nauticant · 06/11/2021 12:13

+1 for the beard. But -1 for the lack of pronouns in his twitter bio.

Please
or

nauticant · 06/11/2021 12:15

Please
or

MatildaIThink · 06/11/2021 12:22

To me The Guardian always seems very pro-trans and anti-science, the have Owen Jones as a regular columnist who is very much not on the side of protecting women when it comes to trans issues.

Please
or

RavingAnnie · 06/11/2021 12:26

@nauticant

+1 for the beard. But -1 for the lack of pronouns in his twitter bio.

😂😂😂
Please
or

Floisme · 06/11/2021 12:30

Well my first reaction was 'Ha ha ha ha ha' . More constructively, Susanna Rustin is one of the most thoughtful writers I can think of and if the UK Guardian don't back her up to the hilt - whatever the cost to their US market - then it's time they stopped calling themselves a newspaper.

Please
or

BraveBananaBadge · 06/11/2021 12:41

Stupid man. Hope the Guardian never publish him again. Why do these types think they can threaten their employers and colleagues and get away with it - expect praised for it even? He's a bully and a moron - yes, calling Susanna Rustin what you did is defamation, you complete and utter tool. Be a professional. Take the fucking note.

You do see a lot of comments calling the Guardian "transphobic trash" and the like, they are between a rock and a hard place there, but how they've treated women (or non men as they'd have it) has been largely unforgivable. I hope Susanna is supported as she is brilliant on this issue.

Please
or

nauticant · 06/11/2021 12:49

Eventually, having done their "transphobia" denunciations of feminists (the non-compliant kind), most women, the general public, the BBC, The Guardian, Mother Nature, and ultimately reality, what will they do then? When they've alienated everyone as being insufficiently ideologically pure, how are they going to convince people they're right?

I have an idea but writing it here will get my post deleted.

Please
or

HoardingSamphireSaurus · 06/11/2021 12:49

So, he defames someone, determines that as a US citizen he can scoff at UK laws, reiterates his point with a gun and expects to be taken seriously?!

Silly boy... watching that space 😁

Please
or

ItsRainingProstateOwners · 06/11/2021 12:50

I hope that people calling the Guardian transphobic gives Kath Viner and others pause for thought. Some of their articles are borderline propaganda and it’s still not enough.

Hopefully anyone reading someone calling Susannah Rustin “militant” will realise what they’re dealing with.

Please
or

nauticant · 06/11/2021 13:00

On reflection, the tweet I linked to above needs to be archived. I can't put the archive link here but some intelligent searching using the URL above and a commonly used archive site, for example one at the .fo domain, should be able to find it.

Please
or

BraveBananaBadge · 06/11/2021 13:07

A reply in the thread. These people really, really don't get it do they.

The Guardian is transphobic
Please
or

Floisme · 06/11/2021 13:26

Oh I missed the tweet with the gun.
I suggest you find your spine, Katharine Viner. Do it quickly.

Please
or

MrsOvertonsWindow · 06/11/2021 13:26

A man with a gun hating on a woman for speaking up about women's rights? Commonplace. We see it regularly.

Please
or

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus · 06/11/2021 14:12

@MrsOvertonsWindow

A man with a gun hating on a woman for speaking up about women's rights? Commonplace. We see it regularly.

This reminds me of the Brunel student. Nothing seemed to happen about that, did it?
Please
or

MonsignorMirth · 06/11/2021 14:15

@ItsRainingProstateOwners

I hope that people calling the Guardian transphobic gives Kath Viner and others pause for thought. Some of their articles are borderline propaganda and it’s still not enough.

Hopefully anyone reading someone calling Susannah Rustin “militant” will realise what they’re dealing with.

The guardian has been considered a transphobic rag by my former colleagues for at least a year or so. They still read it, to find and tell everyone about the transphobia.
The Guardian can't really "win", it plays this odd seesaw of articles, presumably for the clicks.
Please
or

dapsnotplimsolls · 06/11/2021 14:21

@nauticant

Eventually, having done their "transphobia" denunciations of feminists (the non-compliant kind), most women, the general public, the BBC, The Guardian, Mother Nature, and ultimately reality, what will they do then? When they've alienated everyone as being insufficiently ideologically pure, how are they going to convince people they're right?

I have an idea but writing it here will get my post deleted.

They'll turn on each other.
Please
or

RoyalCorgi · 06/11/2021 14:22

Mr Higgins is very very pleased with himself, isn't he?

Please
or

RepentMotherfucker · 06/11/2021 14:31

I know I'm supposed to be building a golden bridge but can I finish my 🍿 first?

Please
or

MrsOvertonsWindow · 06/11/2021 14:47

@RepentMotherfucker

Grin Grin
Please
or

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus · 06/11/2021 15:01

@RepentMotherfucker

Only if you pledge to motivate the bridge builders with tambourine tunes later.
Please
or

TeamRex · 06/11/2021 15:06

So who are we supposed to be supporting in this particular argument? Anyone?

Please
or

Grumpyosaurus · 06/11/2021 15:27

The Guardian, of all papers is transphobic?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Multi-LOL

Please
or

Theunamedcat · 06/11/2021 15:31

@TeamRex

I'm just watching with interest its all getting a bit Jeremy Kyle
Please
or

Floisme · 06/11/2021 15:46

@TeamRex

The trouble is that, tempted as I am to just watch them knock 7 bells out of each other, there's also a decent, principled writer - Susanna Rustin - caught up in this, so regretfully I'm going to put down the popcorn and call upon the UK Guardian to do their fucking job and back up their journalists.
Please
or

dyslek · 06/11/2021 16:00

Blimy O'Riley, these people are angry.

Surely the number of people at the G who are waking up to the toxicity of all this must be growing by the day. Imagine what the pressure to keep your mouth shut and desperatly pray no one notices you must feel like for any saine woman.

Its chilling.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?