Independent Speptember 2018
'80,000 people in UK pose sex threat to children online, according to National Crime Agency
Child protection officers ‘shocked by the scale of the threat,’ says home secretary Sajid Javid
(extract)
"Home secretary Sajid Javid said he would make a “personal mission” to tackle child abuse and described his shock at the scale of the problem.
“It was when I visited the National Crime Agency’s Child Exploitation Online Protection Command that the full horror of the scale and evolving nature of child sexual abuse was really brought home to me,” Mr Javid is expected to say in a speech on Monday.
“One officer I met, who had previously worked in counter-terrorism for over 20 years, told me how in all his years of working he’s never been so shocked by the scale of the threat or the determination of the offenders as he is in his current job.”
The Home Office warned that live-streaming of abuse is a growing problem due to faster internet speeds, smartphone technology and the ease of money transfers across borders.
Images are getting more graphic, with abuse of babies and children under 10 more regularly documented, according to Mr Javid’s department.
Separate figures indicate that police in England and Wales recorded around 23 online child sexual offences every day in 2017-18 – up from 15 a day in the previous 12 months.
The scale of the trend has prompted calls for internet giants to do more to stop the spread of sexual abuse images and videos.
National policing lead for child protection Simon Bailey has urged internet companies to acknowledge their “social responsibility”. (continues)
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-online-sex-threat-80000-people-children-national-crime-agency-a8519606.html