Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I am a science teacher teaching secondary sex education and genetics

Clairetree1 · 10/06/2018 10:12

Ever single time. Every single time. Every single time.

I am being asked how men turn into women.

I say they can't. They turn into transwomen. These are men who change their bodies to be as much like women as possible, but are still men.

Every single time I teach pregnancy I am asked how men can do it.

Every single time we go through genetics I get a shocked response for saying "this is male, this is female"

Every single time I make any distinction between male and female I am asked "are you allowed to say that?

I equate being ordered to teach that men can become woman to previous generations of teachers being ordered to teach nazi race science.

I am quite sure I will be sacked one day

OP's posts:
Please
or

daimbars · 10/06/2018 13:46

LuxuryTime sounds like you have it sussed.

Please
or

Bowlofbabelfish · 10/06/2018 13:47

if a biology teacher was asked how trans women have children surely it wouldn't kill them to mention trans women are women by law but are biologically unable to have children due to having different anatomy.

They can have children - by using their male penis and male sperm to impregnate a female human being.
They cannot bear children because they are Male.

Transwomen remain male. If a biology teacher in the UK is under pressure to teach factually incorrect material then this is a grave matter indeed.

Or do you believe humans can change sex?

Please
or

OldCrone · 10/06/2018 13:48

Being transgender is not a mental illness unless the person finds is particularly distressing or disabling.

daimbars I think we may be talking at cross purposes. When you talk about 'being transgender', what do you actually mean? If someone is transgender but is not distressed by it, what does mean about the way they live?

My understanding is that 'transgender' means having gender dysphoria, so by its nature, one is distressed.

Please
or

bqhl · 10/06/2018 13:49

Grin well that just sounds like a shit Batman impression daim

Please
or

Terfulike · 10/06/2018 13:50

Ol Crone

Yes and if there's no dysphoria then you are just acting out your personality which is feminine or whatever. Nothing to do with sex.

Please
or

Bowlofbabelfish · 10/06/2018 13:51

But .... A person either has gender dysphoria - which yes, is classed as a mental illness under both the current DSM and ICD. Or they are a fetishistic transvestitie (AGP) which also is listed in the DSM.

If gender dysphoria is not an illness then there’s no need to treat it - are you saying that adult people with gender dysphoria should not receive treatment at all?

Please
or

Terfulike · 10/06/2018 13:52

Bowl of Babel

Please refer upthread to the current syllabus screenshots

Please
or

SardineReturns · 10/06/2018 13:52

"sanluca unfortunately life cannot be categorised into neat little boxes. If a biology teacher was asked how trans women have children surely it wouldn't kill them to mention trans women are women by law but are biologically unable to have children due to having different anatomy."

This is a transphobic statement.

Transwomen are women >> their anatomy is female.

Please
or

Terfulike · 10/06/2018 13:53

I cant see how a school would teach biology against the syllabus and risk exam results

Please
or

SardineReturns · 10/06/2018 13:54

Plus of course plenty of transwomen can and do have children.

So to say they blanket cannot have children is fundamentally incorrect.

Please
or

Bowlofbabelfish · 10/06/2018 13:56

I certainly hope so terfulike - seems like there’s a lot of online grooming going on though.

Please
or

MyOtherUserNameIsAUnicorn · 10/06/2018 13:58

I've only read half this thread as baby is waking up any second Confused

If you are a teacher or governor please give your SLT this resource pack www.transgendertrend.com/transgender-schools-guidance/

It's a brilliant resource. Offer to train staff, I'm on SLT and I had no idea until recently how biased Stonewall were, I guarantee you there are head teachers up and down the country taking the stuff that Stonewall send us and thinking it is objective and they send a lot of things... I don't know where they got my name from but I have received at least a letter and/or information pack a month, including a particularly biased DVD about "transgender"children.

Please
or

daimbars · 10/06/2018 13:59

OldCrone I know plenty of trans people who aren't distressed. It's attitudes like yours rather than the dysphoria that makes trans people unhappy.

Please
or

WalkLikeAManTalkLikeAMan · 10/06/2018 14:00

A generation of children gaslighted. Angry

Please
or

Terfulike · 10/06/2018 14:03

Bowl

Yes absolutely, but this is what teachers are for.
Geography teachers tell us how the earth is spherical. I distinctly remember thinking it was flat when I was 4.
Biology teachers also have their role, and the AQA spec is a credit to them, including terms such as female, woman, uterus, sperm, menstruation, and, my personal favourites, mother and father.

I know it seems strange to say its a credit to them, but it is. They could easily have started using terms like "the gestating parent" without it being actually biological lying, just to please the Green Party/stonewall etc.

Please
or

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 10/06/2018 14:09

I'm having one of those moments when my head starts reeling as I try to work out what any of this means. How can a man who feels happier and more comfortable with long hair and wearing women's clothing possibly be considered to have turned himself into a woman by doing that? Why can't he just do all that and still be a man? And vice versa for women, of course. It seems to work for Hope Pink (@hopepinkboots on Twitter).

Please
or

daimbars · 10/06/2018 14:11

Gasp aw bless. It's been the law now for 13 years.

Please
or

Wanderabout · 10/06/2018 14:14

No it hasn't been the law that putting on a dress turns a man into a woman. The current law allows someone with a diagnosis of gender dysphoria to be legally recognised as the opposite sex if they provide evidence of diagnosis.

Please
or

noblegiraffe · 10/06/2018 14:20

daim if you give a female dog hormones does it turn into a male dog?

I’m a teacher, I’m trying to understand how this works. I don’t think there is any official guidance and I’m a bit worried at the suggestion I could lose my job by giving the wrong answer.

Please
or

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 10/06/2018 14:21

Isn't a GRC recognised as a legal fiction? In other words, legally it is accepted currently that your biology doesn't change no matter what you do to your external appearance.

Please
or

Bowlofbabelfish · 10/06/2018 14:22

Gasp aw bless. It's been the law now for 13 years.

No it hasnt. The law allows for a person to be seen as female in certain circumstances.

In the last 13 years, as in the millennia before, it’s not been possible to change sex. A GRC is a legal fiction.

You cannot change sex.

Please
or

ChattyLion · 10/06/2018 14:27

I’m really worried about the gaslighting, inability to let people debate freely and the promoting of bullshit ideas of what makes a man and what makes a woman (so if you don’t conform to those then you need to change yourself). It’s awful.

Please
or

jellyfrizz · 10/06/2018 14:29

I find it pretty offensive that people are suggesting that mental health issues are ‘bad’.

I thought we had come a long way with attitudes on this - apparently not.

Please
or

WalkLikeAManTalkLikeAMan · 10/06/2018 14:33

We are forever being told transwomen are suicidal, that we should do everything to conform to their reality no matter the cost to women and children. Is suicide no longer a mental health issue?

Please
or

OldCrone · 10/06/2018 14:36

I know plenty of trans people who aren't distressed. It's attitudes like yours rather than the dysphoria that makes trans people unhappy.

Attitudes like mine? What on earth do you mean? What 'attitude' do you think I have that makes trans people unhappy, daimbars?

And these trans people who are not distressed. Have they taken cross-sex hormones and had surgery? If so, were they distressed before doing so? If they have not medically transitioned, in what way are they 'trans' as opposed to gender-non-conforming or cross-dressers?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.