Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Support for Transgender Trend / Stephanie Davies-Arai

76 replies

neverfallingforitontwitter · 01/03/2018 22:21

You may have seen that a letter written by Stephanie to magazine BACP magazine Therapy Today has been 'apologised' for after transactivists complained. Attached is the letter - and the apology. TT is getting accused of being a hate group - and is effectively being censored. LETTERS to editors no longer allowed..If you agree with Stephanie's letter, or oppose the closing down of debate, please get behind her. This is not a settled science. The Tavistock Clinic are proposing further research due to lack of clinical evidence to inform outcomes re: puberty blockers, social transition or co-occurring Autism Spectrum Disorder.

OP posts:
Please
or

HumphreyCobblers · 01/03/2018 22:25

I am horrified by that.

It is like 1984, the author's of that apology have clearly been caught having a thought crime Angry

Stephanie is doing such important work, I only wish I could contribute in such an effective and intelligent manner.

We all stand with her in this house.

Please
or

Badgerthebodger · 01/03/2018 22:27

Absolutely behind her she is a fantastic, calm woman who only wants to help children by providing a different narrative. Off to twitter to tell her so!

Please
or

Freshlylaidterf · 01/03/2018 22:28

This is effing ridiculous. Im surprised at the BACP too. Im not on twitter OP how can I support Stephanie?

Please
or

Triliteration · 01/03/2018 22:29

Retweeted it already. Appalling to silence valid opinions. Especially in cases like this where there is far from being consensus in scientific and medical communities.

Please
or

Gileswithachainsaw · 01/03/2018 22:31

Shock

It was a polite truthful letter. Wtf

Please
or

neverfallingforitontwitter · 01/03/2018 22:32

Ways we can support Stephanie are 1) by messaging support via TT website transgendertrend.com, 2) via twiiter - tweeting BACP or sharing TT tweets
3) pledging your support here for Stephanie to see.
Thank you! x

OP posts:
Please
or

BarrackerBarmer · 01/03/2018 22:33

#IStandWithStephanie

show the love on twitter

Please
or

ButteredScone · 01/03/2018 22:35

This is chilling. I can’t believe a supposedly scientific journal would back down from publishing such a mild letter.

It is so creepy. It’s just scary.

Please
or

Gendarme · 01/03/2018 22:37

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

neverfallingforitontwitter · 01/03/2018 22:39

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

FencingFightingTorture35 · 01/03/2018 22:40

Fuck me!

I will be writing a letter. There was nothing unreasonable about Stephanie's letter

Please
or

KatherinaMinola · 01/03/2018 22:40

It is like 1984, the author's of that apology have clearly been caught having a thought crime

Yes. I'm horrified too. It's a completely reasonable letter, whether or not you agree with it.

Please
or

shedalight · 01/03/2018 22:40

Stephanie is an outstanding advocate for young people.
What a shameful response from the editor, Catherine Jackson. I note that she hasn't specified what was said that was so shocking and I bet is asked she will be unable to name anything. Just the usual innuendo.

Such an oppressive and anti democratic movement.

Please
or

Freshlylaidterf · 01/03/2018 22:42

neverfallingforitontwitter
Will do that. Thanks

Please
or

CaptainWarbeck · 01/03/2018 22:45

The editor must have had a serious amount of pressure put on to print that apology.

I support Stephanie. Completely reasonable to question any current narrative in a polite way.

Please
or

BonjourMinou · 01/03/2018 22:50

Wow. I stand with Stephanie. Heading to Twitter to tell her so.

Please
or

Spinsterf · 01/03/2018 22:54

Note the repeated references to "LBGTQ" in that petition - they're constantly trying to conflate gender identity and sexuality, but they're totally fucking different. Being gay doesn't necessitate taking sterilizing hormones, with unknown long term side effects, or having mutilating surgery.

Please
or

Fekko · 01/03/2018 22:56

Someone has pressurised them for this apology. Very odd for an editor (who will usually tell anyone attempting to bully a retraction or apology to piss off). Shame on you!

Please
or

hipsterfun · 01/03/2018 22:58

I’d prefer to think it was a case of publishing the letter with the placatory ‘apology’ written and ready to go.

But maybe that’s too optimistic.

Please
or

Fekko · 01/03/2018 23:00

Who set up the petition? I don’t think it said did it?

Please
or

mimivanne · 01/03/2018 23:10

neverfalling

Thanks for the link.594 signed + 1

Please
or

IsHalfTermOverYet · 01/03/2018 23:11

How pathetic that BACP have caved in to trans activist bullying. They are failing kids by censoring Stephanie Davies-Arai's calm and wise words. We must all stand up to this horrendous bullying and show that we care for the well-being of this new wave of dysphoric teenagers and kids.

Please
or

FencingFightingTorture35 · 01/03/2018 23:13

Btw anyone else think that someone a TRA has read the Transgender Trend document and mistaken 'conversation therapy' for 'conversion therapy' and complained to BACP, who haven't botheted to check the document themselves? I'm wondering if they haven't massively got the wrong end of the stick. There's no excuse if they have but still...

Please
or

HawkeyeInConfusion · 01/03/2018 23:17

As someone who was a gender non-conforming child I am so glad I am not growing up in today's climate. Stephanie is speaking with much sense and I am horrified by how she is being treated.

Please
or

Hulo · 01/03/2018 23:21

Stephanie's letter was reasonable and reasoned. There was nothing insulting or offensive about it at all.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?