Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Now the term FGM is cissexist? WTAF?

232 replies

NormaStanleyFletcher · 28/10/2014 21:30

elegantgatheringofwhitesnows.com/?p=2069

By the very brilliant Louise Pennington.

How can they try to erase the lived experience of violence against women by banning a discriptive term for what is actually happening?

"It is not “cissexist” to talk about the biological reality of women’s bodies and the damage done to them within a capitalist-patriarchy. Frankly, even the suggestion that it is “cissexist” demonstrates a fundamental inability to actually understand the reality of lives of women and girls in our world."

OP posts:
MyEmpireOfDirt · 30/10/2014 12:15

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyEmpireOfDirt · 30/10/2014 12:17

heartisaspade · 30/10/2014 12:25

AsAMan · 30/10/2014 12:32

That video. The bravest woman he knows is a man. No surprises there, he clearly doesn't know what women actually go through.

AsAMan · 30/10/2014 12:34

It's the women "whooing" in the back ground that just really makes me want to cry

AsAMan · 30/10/2014 12:37

I like that he also tells them they are doing feminism wrong. Fucking awesome.

Women's colleges again the history in America is that they were there because women were not able to go to universities with men. We have the "privilege" of all women colleges because we were exluded. No one is excluding transwomen from universities for everybody. or even that university

ZombiePuffinsAreREAL · 30/10/2014 12:38

Momagain, your friend was treated terribly, and I am sorry for it. However, and this is going to seem pedantic, but it isn't meant to. GG only started in August this year and I've not seen a single case of that happening in relation to GG. And sadly, I have seen more on GG than I really should have bothered with. Do you have any evidence that GGers, who are dismissing male allies of the 3/4 women who they want to destroy as SJW manginas have been doxxed in this way, because I haven't, I have however seen endlessly long transcripts and screencaps of conversations between GGers who are information sharing about doxxing women. If you do, I'd be interested to see it.

BellaSolanum · 30/10/2014 13:47

They don't tend to perform femininity so ironically I don't TA see them as real women.

Saw one of them talking about a feminist who was younger than them, they said something about how they (the TA) was more woman than the feminist as they'd been transitioned longer than the feminist had been alive.

The fact that they think it's a competition about who is more woman is just bizarre.

BellaSolanum · 30/10/2014 13:48

MyEmpireOfDirt Ah yes, that analogy is racist, according to the white TA's.

KarmaViolet · 30/10/2014 14:18

I'm trying to work up the spoons to write a blog post about CUSU and their treatment of CCP. I was campaigning for trans* inclusion at my university LGB soc at the end of the last century when the spotty undergrads' understanding of identity was restricted to learning to spell their own names, so they can call me TERF if they like and I shall laugh as I tell them to fuck off.

The ludicrous thing is that I don't know any actual trans* people who support this level of dickwaddery over FGM being cissexist etc. And it makes them scared to support feminist causes because of the worry that feminists blame them for it, in the same way that I sometimes don't want to describe myself as a radical feminist because of the unpleasant things some have said in the name of radical feminism. But this stuff seems to be cis / not-trans (pick your preferred adjective) student slacktivists who are desperate to be more-right-on-than-thou and are essentially exploiting the very real distress of trans people as a mast to pin their rad colours on.

You can imagine why that blog post hasn't been written yet. Twitter would feed me to the lions. Which is no excuse not to get on with it.

FloraFox · 30/10/2014 14:26

He had to get up at 5am, get dressed and get on a bus? Oh the horror.

I'm with AsA, the women cheering make me want to cry. This seems to be a middle class thing where a certain type of women (and sometimes men) look to identify those who are more oppressed than them. They are falling over themselves to call each other out to check their privilege. The number of white men denigrating "white feminism" makes me Confused Hmm Shock Angry

heartisaspade · 30/10/2014 14:36

AsAMan · 30/10/2014 14:36

Tbf flora it is difficult for teenagers to get up at 5am Grin

The whole thing was laughable wasn't it? 'I had to get up early and take a bus! I am so oppressed!'

Then he was surprised he wasn't allowed in to meeting fir students! I was expecting him to say a meeting he had with the dean or something with the way he was setting it up!

heartisaspade · 30/10/2014 14:38

AsAMan · 30/10/2014 14:39

And yes, it's alwaysmen telling feminists to check their cis privilege. I wonder how many of them invited a transman down the pub for footy or entered a 'homosexual' relationship with one?

JeanneDeMontbaston · 30/10/2014 14:46

heart, she spoke, she was very good, someone in the audience spoke up to say that not everyone agreed with the idea she shouldn't speak, and suggested anyone in the audience who was a Cambridge woman student/member should feel free to make clear if they didn't feel represented by the statement against CPP. This was received with loud applause, so, plainly, plenty of people were glad she came to speak.

KarmaViolet · 30/10/2014 15:00

Yes, I heard it was a great success. But she should never have been attacked like that in the first place. If they disagreed with her, they're meant to be students FFS, they can apply some of that critical thinking to explaining why she's wrong - there is no need to go straight for the ducking stool.

JeanneDeMontbaston · 30/10/2014 15:06

I agree. But I feel quite angry that obviously all the students didn't agree, and yet it is being portrayed in lots of places as something 'Cambridge' or 'Cambridge students' did - not something a group of people did. I'm not even sure many students knew of it, because it wasn't an exclusive university or student event.

noblegiraffe · 30/10/2014 15:13

Has anyone got any links to blog posts or news articles about feminists being shut down because of their views on transgender issues?

ZombiePuffinsAreREAL · 30/10/2014 15:45

This is about no platforming in general. But includes some thoughts about Julie Bindel.

This, by SGM, talks about Julie Bindel as well, being no platformed because a TW refused to be on the same stage as her for a debate.

BellaSolanum · 30/10/2014 15:54

There's also an article by Miranda Yardley, a gender critical TW, on when the TA's shut down a debate she was due to appear on due to her feminist type views on gender.

KarmaViolet · 30/10/2014 16:03

There's a good piece on it here by Jane Fae - it's a fuller explanation from the NS article Puffins linked to.

TheWanderingUterus · 30/10/2014 16:08

www.varsity.co.uk/news/7663

About caroline Criado Perez being protested.

KarmaViolet · 30/10/2014 18:31

Ah, so it was a personal vendetta from the CUSU campaigns' officer? That is disgusting.

LineRunner · 30/10/2014 18:33

As in, the Cambridge university student union?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.