My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

Right, I am fat and unhappy. Talk to me about Slimming World, Weight Watchers etc

28 replies

Ewe · 30/03/2009 21:03

What is the difference?

What makes it work? How easy is it to stick to? Is it the public weighing which keeps people sticking to it? Is it effective online?

OP posts:
Ewe · 30/03/2009 21:03

Ooops posted too soon!

Welcome to other suggestions too, TIA

OP posts:
Frizbe · 30/03/2009 21:10

Well I've only done WW and I use the CD version, so I've never been anywhere near a weigh in, but from what I understand, Slimming world is different in that you get Red and Green days and you can only eat certain things on certain days,but you also get certain foods that are 'free' and can be scoffed whenever, where as WW you can eat everything every day, but only upto a certain points value. Example would be on slimming world (SIL did this) SIL would eat certain free foods to her hearts content, where as I on WW would have to pay points for whatever it was. Obviously to effectivly loose weight you don't go over points value. I have found ww changes your portion sizes and eating habits in the sense that you now view certain foods with horror at their points value which is never a bad thing. Obviously neither work that well, if you don't exercise along side them, as that's what really makes diets kick in, the whole lifestyle boot up the arse.

nikkid21 · 30/03/2009 21:13

slimming world works for me. Lot's of foods are free so you can eat as much of them as you like. I've lost 2 1/2 stone and have kept it off for the best part of a year.

The public weighing isn't humiliating but it is motivating.. You get weighed privatley and then in group it's read out how much you have lost that week. If you have a gain it's no big deal. I like the way that if you are struggling with one eement everyone chips in with sugggestions and strategies.

I'm sure that a weight watchers fan will be along in a minute to tell you the benefits of that one.

Ewe · 30/03/2009 21:13

Thanks Frizbe - did you find the CD worked?

I like the sound of free foods that you can eat whenever, I am a picker so this would be good for me.

Exercise is something I have a real problem, I enjoy it but I genuinely don't have the time.

OP posts:
Ewe · 30/03/2009 21:17

I also worry about being the fattest person there which I am sure is a bit silly really as I am not huge but I have a really skinny friend who goes to SW (maybe that is why she is skinny!?!) so I would hope it wasn't full of people as thin as her.

There is a SW group near me that started last week, maybe I'll just go and try. Do they read out your weight or just what you have lost/put on?

OP posts:
TweetleBeetle · 30/03/2009 21:19

I've lost 100Ilbs on WW, I started in Sept last year so not lost as much as I'd have wanted to, however I haven't really stuck to it.

I did it a few years ago and lost over a stone, however when I got pregnant it all went back on again. Never satyed for meetings that time. tried it again but didn;t really like the leader, his time I go to the meetings, the woman who runs it is quite funny and realistic so I'm sticking with it. Its a real mix of people and dare I say quite god fun!

I'm sure you can go just for one meeting and make your mind up when you've been

Baconsarnie · 30/03/2009 21:19

SW gets my vote every time. I like the way you can always eat something if you want to. That may be a banana or a tin of ravioli, but at least you don't go hungry ever! You can do red (protein) or green (carbs) days and now you can mix and match them so you have much more choice about what you eat and you eat a lot more normally, IYKWIM, rather than eating a load of pasta one day and just ham and prawns (say!) the next.

youcantlabelme · 30/03/2009 21:22

Hi Ewe,

You sound very much like me-me, I'm fat, frumpy, 42 and f'd off with it all!!

I def do NOT want any public weigh ins and although i used to do alot of exercise I don't have time any more- change in work schedules, kids etc.

Fancy keeping me motivated and vice versa?

Cos that's the downside for me-keeping it going and I don't get suuport much at home- DP is a worse chocoholic than me and so all attempts at a snack free cupboard gets demolished when he goes to the offie and comes back with chocs and beer!!

I prefer sound of WW, but would give SW a shot.

Whaddya think?

Ewe · 30/03/2009 21:23

100lbs - wow! Well done!

What is the target weight loss - 1-2lb per week?

I like the fact I could have carbs, I do really well no carbing but it is not at all sustainable for me.

OP posts:
suwoo · 30/03/2009 21:23

If that is you pushing the stokke on your profile, you must be crazy if you seriously think you will be the biggest person there .

Frizbe · 30/03/2009 21:24

Ewe, I mainly use the cd for food diary purposes to be honest and I've gotten quite good at regulating myself, so hardly need it anymore, just use it if I feel I'm getting out of hand
Exercise time is a toughy, with work and kids in tow, its tricky, but even if you can do something just once a week, or swap a car/bus trip for a walk its worth it.

suwoo · 30/03/2009 21:25

Yes 1-2lb per week with WW and the weigh ins are private, they are in no way public. I think you really need to go to a meeting, you will be very suprised.

Its nothing like Little Britain you know

Ewe · 30/03/2009 21:26

I know how you feel, asked DP to get something for dinner tonight and he made carbonara and got creme eggs as a treat for after and I wonder why I am heavier than I would like!

Definitely up for some mutual motivation and support, think I will try SW as the group is at a more convenient time for WW but I don't suppose it much matters. Principal is the same, stick to it!

Just read on SW website that your weight always remains private and confidential - phew!

OP posts:
worriedcm · 30/03/2009 21:27

Just got back from a sw weigh in have lost 11 pounds in 5 weeks which is amazing for me. They have new book extra easy and it really is great you can eat loads of free food pile your plate as high as you want with these foods. You also have healthy extras where you supplement your free foods and what are known as syns which are the naughty things that you want to eat. I tried ww for 6 months and struggled with the weighing of foods etc and an unrealistic leader. I also love the fact with sw nearly all fruit and veg are unlimited with weightwatchers only some are

Ewe · 30/03/2009 21:29

Look how excited I am... all those exclamation marks.

You mean there will be no dust?

I am quite active as I don't have a car but pre DC I used to exercise a reasonable amount, go out and dance most nights and barely eat. My metabolism is not used to me staying in, eating stodgy carbs and not swimming and gymming (my liver however is thanking me for my new lifestyle).

I do try and do Davina from time to time but DP finds it hilarious. I think I need him to be a bit more on board for this to work for me!

OP posts:
suwoo · 30/03/2009 21:31

Nope no dust . Although it would be free if you wanted it

worriedcm · 30/03/2009 21:32

in answer to weigh in tonights was well done to X lost 1/2 a pound well done to y who lost 4 pounds, z has got a 1/2 stone award etc those that maintained or gained are offered advice after asking if they want the consultant to ring them and everyone just offers suggestions.

Ewe · 30/03/2009 21:35

Well done worriedcm, I would be incredibly chuffed with that!

It sounds rather nice and supportive, much better than the public humiliation tactic I thought they used

OP posts:
suwoo · 30/03/2009 21:38

I really can't believe you thought that . WW talk about topical things and everyone contributes as to what has worked for them. It is the meeting that can be a big help for a lot of the members.

worriedcm · 30/03/2009 21:38

Thanx Ewe was narked last week as maintained my weight but the group support was great they all had useful suggestions e.g. recording what I ate, it worked as lost 1 1/2 pounds this week think without the group would have just given up

TweetleBeetle · 30/03/2009 22:01

oops sorry everyone, I haven't lost 100Ilb, I've only lost 10Ilbs, I'm big but not that big!! Am sill please with my ten pounds though!!!!

suwoo · 30/03/2009 22:06

Well done on your 10lb tweetle. 100lb isn't that unusual, I know a few people who have done it and lots that have managed 50lb.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

TweetleBeetle · 30/03/2009 22:29

Thanks Suwoo, just another 30 to go!!!!

My mis type just made me laugh - I was basically saying I've only lost 100Ilbs since Sept last year - not as much as I'd wanted to!

Only another 30Ibs to go!

Deemented · 31/03/2009 09:02

I'd go with SW every time. they have introduced a new extra easy plan, which allows you to have meat and pasta and spuds at the same meal, and i've been doing it for just over a fortnight and have lost 12 and a half lbs with it - and most importantly for me, i'm not hungry!

lunavix · 31/03/2009 15:49

deemented - wow that's a good loss for SW

I was worried with the new plan about how eating unlimited carbs and protein would really just not work (eg spag bol made with passata and low fat mince???? Surely woofing down lots of that won't be good for you??!!)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.