Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Meghan challenged racism, sexism, anti transgender jokes

antelopevalley · 20/07/2022 17:41

The Sunday Times is reporting that when Meghan first met Harry's friends, she challenged every single one of their sexist, racist and anti-transgender jokes.

"Soon after Harry and Meghan’s relationship was revealed, Harry invited Meghan to join his weekend shoot at Sandringham. With the Queen’s permission he had invited 16 friends to arrive for dinner on Friday night, shoot on Saturday and leave after lunch on Sunday. Most of the guests were old friends from Eton with their wives or girlfriends. All of them were employed by international banks and auction houses or were estate owners and racehorse trainers. All were bonded by common assumptions, principles and loyalties.

Like other shooting weekends, Harry was looking forward to endless banter, jokes — and a lot of drinking. He had not anticipated Meghan’s reaction. Their jokes involving sexism, feminism and transgender people ricocheted around the living-rooms and dining-rooms. Without hesitation, Meghan challenged every guest whose conversation contravened her values. According to some of Harry’s friends, again and again she reprimanded them about the slightest inappropriate nuance. Nobody was exempt. Harry’s world would not be her world.

Beyond Harry’s hearing, some friends questioned Meghan’s “wokery”. Meghan was a dampener on the party, they concluded. She lacked any sense of humour. Driving home after Sunday lunch, the texts pinged between the cars: “OMG what about HER?” said one; “Harry must be f*ing nuts.”"

OP's posts:
Please
or

DeepSeededUrbanDecay · 20/07/2022 17:44

I like her even more for hearing that.

Please
or

RoseslnTheHospital · 20/07/2022 17:45

I can't tell if you approve or disapprove of her supposed actions, @antelopevalley?

Please
or

eatingapie · 20/07/2022 17:47

Good for her.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 20/07/2022 17:53

I approve wholeheartedly. It cannot have been easy to do that.

OP's posts:
Please
or

antelopevalley · 20/07/2022 17:55

I approve wholeheartedly. It cannot have been easy to do that.
The Times reports it as if Meghan was in the wrong.

OP's posts:
Please
or

JaneJeffer · 20/07/2022 17:58

Just what MN needs. Another Meghan Markle thread.

Please
or

stuntbubbles · 20/07/2022 17:59

I already love Meghan Markle but now I love her more. The only thing wrong with this story is that she stayed with Harry when this was the company he kept and presumably the way he behaved.

Please
or

RoseslnTheHospital · 20/07/2022 17:59

Of course they do. The whole tone of that article is how dare she, as a woman, a mixed race woman, not upper class and not from inherited wealth, speak her mind to these members of the elite! I think it was very confident of her to do that and good on her for speaking out.

Please
or

HouseInTheHills · 20/07/2022 18:03

Good for her. More people need to call this shit out.

If you believe the saying that you can tell a lot from a persons friends, I’m not sure what it said about Harry though, both that he had friends that thought that behaviour was ok and that they were stupid enough to do it around Meghan.

Please
or

3amAndImStillAwake · 20/07/2022 18:07

RoseslnTheHospital · 20/07/2022 17:59

Of course they do. The whole tone of that article is how dare she, as a woman, a mixed race woman, not upper class and not from inherited wealth, speak her mind to these members of the elite! I think it was very confident of her to do that and good on her for speaking out.

I agree. If, when I first met DH's friends, I'd had to spend the evening repeatedly hearing and challenging multiple "jokes" and comments of that nature, I'd have seriously doubted that he was someone I'd want to keep seeing.

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 20/07/2022 18:09

He probably shouldn't have invited her on a "lads weekend" which would probably be (and was, it seems) full of blokey banter.
Surely it would be better to have invited couples?
Leave the blokes banter for when the blokes are in their own company.

Please
or

RuralLiving · 20/07/2022 18:12

I’m not a big fan of Meghan, but you’ve got to respect her for that!

Please
or

antelopevalley · 20/07/2022 18:12

It was not a "lad's" weekend. Other men had their partners there.

OP's posts:
Please
or

00100001 · 20/07/2022 18:13

He probably shouldn't have invited her on a "lads weekend" which would probably be (and was, it seems) full of blokey banter.

...it was couples... "Most of the guests were old friends from Eton with their wives or girlfriends"

Biggest issue here is why Megan thought he and his friends were still worth pursuing. I'd be out of there.

Please
or

HouseInTheHills · 20/07/2022 18:13

It was couples according to OPs post.

Please
or

Crucible · 20/07/2022 18:19

Go Meghan. Bunch of arseholes. Why she stuck around I'll never know. It's not ok and not even remotely 'funny' to make jokes at others expense.

Please
or

worriedatthistime · 20/07/2022 18:24

And we now this is true how ?

Please
or

TooTiredToSleepRightNow · 20/07/2022 18:24

Not a fan of Meghan purely because I don’t know why she thought it was a good idea to join the royal family. It’s like knowing the dramas of your in laws, their history that seems to go against your values and still joining them because you’re madly in love with someone who expressed racist views in the past. And now his friends are doing it and she has a problem with it. Like why is that a surprise and did she call Harry out on it? Like why is he hanging out with these people unless he also joins in when she isn’t there. Doesn’t add up to me. But. The fact that she had the guts to call this shit out to their faces means I have new found respect for her.

Please
or

TooTiredToSleepRightNow · 20/07/2022 18:24

If this is even true!

Please
or

worriedatthistime · 20/07/2022 18:26

@TooTiredToSleepRightNow exactly half of what is printed isn't
Like she sat there and pulled everyone up and that wouldn't of told them they were not suited as if they were all his close friends then surely he held the same views / laughed at same jokes
People believe anything thats written in the papers when they want to

Please
or

GirlInACountrySong · 20/07/2022 18:29

Challenges and 'reprimanded' how?

What did she say?

She stayed the full weekend so voted with her feet then?

Please
or

GirlInACountrySong · 20/07/2022 18:30

Yes, and Harry did what?

' yes yes chaps. She's absolutely right. We won't say that anymore'

Please
or

PlanetNormal · 20/07/2022 18:32

I am neither a monarchist nor an admirer of Markle, but that story makes me view her is a slightly better light. She may have blatantly lied during her interview with Oprah, but challenging a bunch of obnoxious public school dickheads telling racist & sexist jokes does her some credit.

Please
or

PeekAtYou · 20/07/2022 18:33

This is obviously an admirable quality. We can imagine what type of men they were since we've had Old Etonian/Bullingdon Club prime ministers of this kind of ilk who would unashamedly be like that.

I think most people are interpreting this story as a criticism of Harry because his friends were clearly the toff stereotypes that we'd imagine. If he's not brought Meghan then these friendships would have probably continued. People who want to see anything Meghan does as a negative will say that this is proof of alienation from
friends which is controlling behaviour even though it's extremely common for a person not to like a friend of their spouse. (There's no suggestion that she manipulated him into ditching his friends but it would have helped to hear about Harry realising that his friends were dicks.

Please
or

nca · 20/07/2022 18:33

Why on earth she stuck around I don't understand. I'd have binned him off for that.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.