Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Will Beatrice and Eugenie become full time royals?

Flynnqwer · 14/01/2022 17:13

When they’re Counsellors of State?

Currently the four Counsellors are Charles, William, Harry and Andrew. When Charles accedes the throne Beatrice will take her place as counsellor, and when William accedes so will Eugenie. Or perhaps they will sooner than that given that Harry and Andrew can, in reality, not represent the Queen any more.

Will they become full time royals at that point? Currently William and Kate are the only working royals of their generation. I know Charles is keen on a slimmed down monarchy, but William will need support from his own generation in the absence of Harry.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DisforDarkChocolate · 14/01/2022 17:17

No chance. I thin he's made this more than clear.

Please
or

Sportsnight · 14/01/2022 17:18

More likely Zara I’d have thought?

Please
or

Yubaba · 14/01/2022 17:25

I doubt it, they both have jobs Charles is keen to get rid of all the moochers.
Hopefully he’ll get rid of all the grace and favour apartments of the queens cousins whilst he’s at it.

Please
or

GrazingSheep · 14/01/2022 17:47

Why can’t Anne and Edward do it ?

Please
or

Tree543 · 14/01/2022 17:49

I really think this sort of stuff should be slimmed down. Its really not necessary.

Please
or

FAQs · 14/01/2022 17:51

No idea I’m guessing Sophie can’t?

Please
or

Fallagain · 14/01/2022 17:52

It’s Anna the hardest working already? Do they need 4 counsellors.

Please
or

SickAndTiredAgain · 14/01/2022 17:53

@GrazingSheep

They are below Beatrice and Eugenie in the line of succession, so they are who it would automatically go to I believe. I think it’s the next four adults in line. I’ve no idea the process involved in changing it or saying you don’t want it.
Please
or

Flynnqwer · 14/01/2022 17:54

@GrazingSheep

Because that’s not the law. By law, the Counsellors of State are the monarch’s spouse and the four next in line who are over 21.
OP's posts:
Please
or

oatlattetogo · 14/01/2022 17:57

Doesn’t this all depend on William becoming King before George turns 18, and Charlotte and Louis turn 21? If Charles lives as long as his parents then I think the counsellors of state will be Catherine, George, Charlotte, Louis and presumably still Harry, as he’s one now.

I think it’s the monarch’s spouse and the next four people in line to the throne who are over 21 or over 18 if they are the heir!

Please
or

Cuck00soup · 14/01/2022 17:58

Won’t George be in the running once he turns 18? Assuming there is still a monarchy at that point.

Please
or

LittleBearPad · 14/01/2022 17:59

Not a chance.

Because that’s not the law. By law, the Counsellors of State are the monarch’s spouse and the four next in line who are over 21.

So they change the law

Please
or

Flynnqwer · 14/01/2022 18:04

@oatlattetogo

Doesn’t this all depend on William becoming King before George turns 18, and Charlotte and Louis turn 21? If Charles lives as long as his parents then I think the counsellors of state will be Catherine, George, Charlotte, Louis and presumably still Harry, as he’s one now.

I think it’s the monarch’s spouse and the next four people in line to the throne who are over 21 or over 18 if they are the heir!

That’s true. More relevant to Beatrice than Eugenie then. I can’t see how William & Kate can function as the only working royals of their generation though. One or two cousins presumably will end up as working royals.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Kite22 · 14/01/2022 18:10

What is a Counsellor of State ?
As in, what do they do?
It isn't a term I have heard before

Please
or

Wheresmywoolyjumpers · 14/01/2022 18:11

I think there will just be fewer royal events and therefore less need for working royals.

Please
or

MiddleParking · 14/01/2022 18:19

Working my hole.

Please
or

Flynnqwer · 14/01/2022 18:22

@Kite22

What is a Counsellor of State ?
As in, what do they do?
It isn't a term I have heard before

They are the five people who the monarch can devolve responsibility to whilst ill or abroad.

I’m not entirely sure how Harry is still on the list given that he lives in the US and counsellors must be domiciled in Britain.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counsellor_of_State
OP's posts:
Please
or

JaninaDuszejko · 14/01/2022 18:23

I can’t see how William & Kate can function as the only working royals of their generation though.

This is the trouble with Charles's plan isn't it. It's OK when there are 4 siblings as he has, the disgrace of one doesn't make much difference. But with just two siblings it's a lot more work (which is presumably why some of the Queen's cousins have always done Royal Duties), never mind when one of those decides he doesn't like the life.

Please
or

Flynnqwer · 14/01/2022 18:37

@JaninaDuszejko

I can’t see how William & Kate can function as the only working royals of their generation though.

This is the trouble with Charles's plan isn't it. It's OK when there are 4 siblings as he has, the disgrace of one doesn't make much difference. But with just two siblings it's a lot more work (which is presumably why some of the Queen's cousins have always done Royal Duties), never mind when one of those decides he doesn't like the life.

Yes indeed. William didn’t begin to be a full time working royal until he was 35. George won’t be 35 for another 27 years. William will be 67. Princess Anne 98 (and almost certainly not working) and Edward 84 (perhaps still working, but presumably not full time).

The monarchy can’t function with only two full time working royals. It will barely be seen. Even if George took up duties a full decade earlier than his father, Anne will be too old for full time duties.
OP's posts:
Please
or

CovidCorvid · 14/01/2022 18:41

Harry is on the list as he’s still in the line of succession. Ditto Andrew.

I don’t think that can be removed from them no matter what they do.

Please
or

tigger1001 · 14/01/2022 18:42

"I’m not entirely sure how Harry is still on the list given that he lives in the US and counsellors must be domiciled in Britain"

Domicile doesn't mean where he lives now. He will still be uk domiciled although not resident currently

Please
or

tothemoonandbackbuses · 14/01/2022 18:42

I think there will have to be some more working/full time royals otherwise there’ll be hardly any occasion when the public meet/see a royal. I understand the desire for a slimmed down royal family but what’s the point of royal family if there are not out and about doing public duties.

Please
or

Samcro · 14/01/2022 18:43

I hpoe not.
Surely will and kate can just do something

Please
or

Flynnqwer · 14/01/2022 18:44

@CovidCorvid

Harry is on the list as he’s still in the line of succession. Ditto Andrew.

I don’t think that can be removed from them no matter what they do.

Harry can’t be a Counsellor of Stare if he isn’t domiciled in the UK.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Flynnqwer · 14/01/2022 18:45

@tigger1001

"I’m not entirely sure how Harry is still on the list given that he lives in the US and counsellors must be domiciled in Britain"

Domicile doesn't mean where he lives now. He will still be uk domiciled although not resident currently

Ah thank you. That explains it.
OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.